Author Topic: The Wilco Thread  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: The Wilco Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 11:43 PM »
Here's more about "Less Than You Think"--taken from Learning How to Die--the book about Wilco I mentioned on the first page.

=======================================

"Less Than You Think" is "the track that everyone will hate," Tweedy says with a laugh, arriving like an uninvited guest near the end of what is the most straightforward, tradition-bound Wilco record since Being There.  "I know ninety-nine percent of our fans won't like that song, that they'll say it's a ridiculous indulgence.  Even I don't want to listen to it every time I play through the album.  But the times I do calm myself down and pay attention to it, I think it's valuable and moving and cathartic.  I wouldn't have put it on the record if I didn't think it was great.  We've been doing sound installations like that for the last couple of years in the loft to amuse ourselves, and there's something beautiful about making music that doesn't have any author.  Nobody 'plays' anything, and it goes hand in hand with the notion that 'there is so much less to this than you think.'  I wanted to make an album about identity, and within that is the idea of a higher power, the idea of randomness, and that anything can happen, and that we can't control it."

========================================

The "sound installations" used to make "LTYT" were described earlier:

"What had once been the briefest moment in the Wilco songbook becomes its longest recorded work, a fifteen-minute epic, thanks to an extended coda that consists entirely of various electronic contraptions and synthesizers oscillating through a series of effects boxes -- Wilco's answer to Lou Reed's experiment in drone, "Metal Machine Music."  Each band member created his own sound installation in the studio, then let it run unattended.  In the mixing afterward, the noise was sculpted into a slow-moving arch that peaks, then fades, the poltergeist of the album title shrieking to life and then drifting out of the room."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #16 on: August 4, 2004, 11:22 AM »
Just ordered my tickets for the Friday, September 17 Wilco show at the Granada Theatre in Dallas, Texas.  I've been to three other shows at the Granada, and something interesting has happened to me at each one (looking up Kim Gordon's skirt, and subsequently almost passing out from heat exhaustion / waving hello to Liz Phair, and her waving back, and then bumping into her backstage before going out with the Lips as the bear / getting Slash's autograph).  

Needless to say, I look forward to this next one.

(Me and Tweedy nearly crashed into each other after an OKC show back in '97. . .)

The guys are also playing the Austin City Limits Music Festival later that weekend, so I think we're gonna catch 'em in Dallas on Friday, and then drive down to Austin and catch 'em again on Sunday, with a bunch of other cool bands (the Pixies, Cat Power, Ben Harper, etc.) in between.

I'm still pissed that they haven't been here in almost seven years, though.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: August 4, 2004, 11:25 AM »
That Austin show sounds sweet, I'd like to catch Harper eventually too.  

What I'd really like to see happen is Bridge School 2004 with PJ, Wilco, Harper and Neil Young.  I would think long and hard about going to that...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #18 on: August 4, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Yeah, the ACL Festival is shaping up to be quite a cool weekend:

http://www.aclfestival.com/schedule.html

The best part is that, since we'll be in Dallas with Wilco on Friday, we're gonna miss the Friday shows in Austin--but the only really big acts that will be playing are Sheryl Crow and Ryan Adams, who I couldn't give two sh!ts about.  

All the good stuff happens on Saturday and Sunday.

(And yeah, the Bridge School Benefits always seemed like cool shows.  Aren't they always in October?)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Yeah they are, I've been thinking about going for a while now, ever since I talked to a guy who went when we were taking a Pregnancy Preperation Class who had just got back from the Show.  Our wives weren't too happy about us talking about Pearl Jam and Neil Young

THey usually don't announce shows until September though

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #20 on: August 4, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Just checked back to see what the ticket situation for the Dallas show was looking like. . .

Tickets sold through this online outlet for this event are SOLD OUT. Please contact the box office or promoter for other available ticket outlets. Tickets may be available elsewhere.

Less than an hour!

Whew--glad I got my order in.

Looking at their schedule, it looks like they're on the East Coast for the first part of October--but there wouldn't be any reason that they couldn't head out west later that month.

And PJ is doing their Vote for Change stuff, but that's in early October, as well.

Maybe a mid-to-late October show could be that big, Vote Bush Out thing that I was hoping for in the other thread. . .

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 09:03 PM »
Hey. . .

To anyone who may have missed it earlier this summer (or to anyone who may want to see it again)--tonight's Letterman is a re-run of the June show, where Wilco played "Hummingbird".  

Good stuff.