Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 116987 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Re: XBox 360
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 12:49 PM »
No word on it being backwards compatible...  Blech!

So, can I ask you a question about that?  I've got a PS2, and I can't remember the last time I played a PS1 game on it.

Is this really an important feature to have? Why?  Do you plan on scrapping the old Xbox as soon as you get the 360?  I'm just curious....because as much as I want the box to be backwards compatible, I don't even know WHY I want that.

The PS2 was. I never use the feature to play old PS1 games.  The GBA SP was, and I never use the feature to play old black and white gameboy games.

Do you guys?
Got Clones?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 01:05 PM »
Aw, man?  Another XBOX already.  Crap.   Where am I gonna get that kind of money?

But - I do have an XBOX and a Gamecube.  I love the Gamecube a lot more, except for XBOX having more new Star Wars games.

:P

SilverZ

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 05:08 PM »
So, can I ask you a question about that?  I've got a PS2, and I can't remember the last time I played a PS1 game on it.

Is this really an important feature to have? Why?

It's not important at all to core gamers.

However, the backwards compatibility on PS2 was a huge benefit for Sony in pushing the newer system with mainstream consumers, casual gamers and kids. It's mainly a marketing tool that allows the mass-market consumers feel that their previous software investments aren't obsolete as quickly as they are in reality.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 05:55 PM »
I guess it isn't that important for this new X-Box to be backwards compatible, since I don't plan on selling my X-Box anytime soon.

But backwards compatibility would be nice for the Playstation 3 since I don't own either of the first two consoles.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Is it important?

Yes.

Why?

I would give my X-Box to my gf's kids in a heartbeat if i knew I could play my old games on the new system...  I do like playing my old games, and I do like minimizing the # of systems I have on one shelf.  With an N64, Cube, XB, and potentially any one of these new systems, the entertainment stand needs all the room it can obtain. ;)

So yeah, I'd like backwards compatibility a lot...  My old games get as much wear/tear (the ones I really enjoyed anyway) as my newest ones do, so long as I have the time.  Beyond backwards compatibility though, if this system is indeed making MP gaming their focus, that's a bigger issue to me and if the games are catered to that same mode of thought it's more than enough reason for me not to get the new XB.  Like everything else, I'll look at everything before I buy and get what bets suited me.  Back in the day it was the Cube for me, and when XB came down in price it suited me as well, so I'll see what Sony/Nintendo offer and pick which one I want the most and get it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 06:37 PM »
I would give my X-Box to my gf's kids in a heartbeat if i knew I could play my old games on the new system...  I do like playing my old games, and I do like minimizing the # of systems I have on one shelf.  With an N64, Cube, XB, and potentially any one of these new systems, the entertainment stand needs all the room it can obtain

Ok, so for you, it's the value of being able to junk your old Xbox but save the games.  That makes sense. That's what I did with the PS1 when I got the PS2, but for the life of me....I can't remember EVER playing a PS1 game on the PS2. I think the only exception would be this one DDR mix I have.   I mean, I like that my PS2 has that feature, but it's sort of like the airbags on my car. It's nice to know they're there, but I don't think I'll ever need em.

Ok, maybe it's not like that at all, but you get what I'm saying, right?;D

Got Clones?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 07:07 PM »
I've played a bunch of PS1 games on my PS2.  They came out with all the old Final Fantasy games (1-6) for PS1, which I was able to purchase and enjoy on the PS2.  If I'm not mistaken, Square released a couple different RPGs on the PS1 after the PS2 was released (Chrono Cross, maybe.  And maybe FFIX... can't quite remember).  I used it more when the PS2 was first launched... but I'll still break out an old FF and play it from time to time.  I can't imagine I'd ever do that if I had to hook up the old PS1 first.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Avenging Knight

• Jedi Initiate
  • Guardian of Truth and Justice..and stuff like that
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 08:39 PM »
I don't think backward compatibilty is that much of an issue. I think I may have played a PS1 game once on my PS2. Once you get spoiled by the upgrade in graphics most people have a hard time going back to their old consoles. It would be a nice feature but I think the number of people that would not buy the console because of this lack of feature is miniscule.

SilverZ

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 08:43 PM »
And Sony counters with the PS3 announcement:

PS3

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I think that depends then more on how much you LIKE the old games than the backwards compatibility feature...

Like I still play N64 Rogue Squad, Shadows of the Empire, and other games that appealed to me for story or whatever...  That's kind of where backwards compatibility plays a part for me...  I'll want to play Rogue Leader and Rebelstrike on the new Nintendo should I get it, or my XB games I enjoy immensely like Full Spectrum Warrior.  For some people it's that "comfort" of knowing you can if you want to, but for me it's practical because I DO want to play those old games sometimes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 10:47 PM »
I would love for it to play older Xbox games. I havent bought an Xbox yet. And if I did I'd want the 360.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Avenging Knight

• Jedi Initiate
  • Guardian of Truth and Justice..and stuff like that
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 11:02 PM »
Just announced at E3, Xbox360 will be backward compatible!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2005, 11:13 PM »
Excellent [/end Emperor or Mr. Burns]

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I think it's sort of a big deal, again for a space issue.

I plug my consoles into my receiver, so's I can rock out in 5.1 stereo (where available).

With the Xbox 360 doing all the **** it does, I can probably start scrapping some of my components to free up inputs in the back of the receiver without losing any functionality at all.

Plus I still haven't passed Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or KOTOR II, and I doubt I'll get around to doing either by Christmas.

So if I get the new system, I can clean up the old entertainment center a bit.

And come to think of it, even though I never had a PS1, I have actually purchased PS1 games to play on the PS2--a bunch of Dragon Tales and Mickey Mouse type stuff for my daughter, plus some Castlevania game she played once over at my brother's and fell in love with.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2005, 08:58 PM »
Just announced at E3, Xbox360 will be backward compatible!

Actually, only selected xbox titles will be playable on the xbox360.  I'm sure they'll include most of the popular ones.  It'll involve downloading patches or something.  It's a very odd backward compatability solution.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj