Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 70936 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #465 on: December 14, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Ah! Well it'd have made a great stocking-stuffer.

I'm probably going to hold off on buying The Shining, since that DVD has been out for a very long time... Perhaps a new double-disc is coming soon?

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 14, 2005, 06:16 PM »
I knew it was too good to be true (OFOTCN). I may get "The Island" after all, at Wal Mart. There's a bonus (by definition, no implication that bonus equals free) disc with 21 minutes of features that may be as close as we get to a 2 disc set.

I watched "Serenity" this morning. It drops next Tuesday, and personally, I wasn't thrilled with it. I'm taking in "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (Unrated Extended Edition) tonight, with "The Great Raid", "White Dragon", and "Cry Wolf (Unrated/Extended)" to follow.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 06:16 PM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 15, 2005, 02:44 AM »
When I got to Walmart today - the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest DVD was NOT the two-disc edition.   They had lots of copies of the single disc though.

I picked up Eyes Wide Shut, North by Northwest, Caddyshack, and the Lewis Black stand-up DVD.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 17, 2005, 07:57 PM »
Bought CW Volume 2.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 19, 2005, 12:58 AM »
Anyone pick up the "King Kong" production diary set yet? Just curious if the actual content is worth the $33? The lithos and stuff are nice, but it kind of suggests that the eventual "King Kong" DVD will be some what bare, no?

Picked up "Dodgeball: Unrated" and "Office Space: With Flair" at Best Buy 2/$20, as well as "Empire Records" for $7.99. Day before, was able to get the 2 disc "Enter the Dragon" for $7 w/ a $5 RW certificate.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:59 AM by Cinemaddiction »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 19, 2005, 01:18 AM »
The production diaries is several hours worth of documentation - probably a bit much to include as a featurette.  It was online an episode at a time over the course of the last two years - there were something like 80 episodes.  It's an amazing series and worth the price IMO ($29.99 at lots of stores and Best Buy will price match - and if you bought Cinderella Man last week you probably have a $3.00 off coupon for the Diaries).

But since I've seen most of them and there was well over $100.00 worth of other stuff I wanted to pick up this week, I passed for now - I might pick it up at some point down the road.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 01:19 AM by Rob »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 19, 2005, 11:17 AM »
We picked up Arrested Development - Season 2 while it was on sale at Target last week for $20.  Otherwise, a fairly quiet week.  There are more that I would have liked to pick up, but with Christmas so close, I've been told to wait :).

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 19, 2005, 07:56 PM »
The production diaries is several hours worth of documentation - probably a bit much to include as a featurette.  It was online an episode at a time over the course of the last two years - there were something like 80 episodes.  It's an amazing series and worth the price IMO ($29.99 at lots of stores and Best Buy will price match - and if you bought Cinderella Man last week you probably have a $3.00 off coupon for the Diaries).

Crimeny. I'll toss it on my list, then. When I was at Best Buy last night, they also had some (faux) leather bound scrapbook with the King Kong logo branded on it in a plastic bag. Any idea what that was?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 19, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I think that was a giveaway for rewardzone members (maybe for everybody) with Cinderella Man - that might have been where the $3.00 coupon for the Production Diaries came from.  I passed on Cinderella Man but my friend bought it and he has the booklet and got the coupon.

SilverZ

« Reply #474 on: December 27, 2005, 03:26 PM »
I've been losing interest in DVDs rapidly. I've been spending a lot of time grabbing HD movie streams off of cable and archiving them to a new media server that I built instead. It's hard to get excited about DVD when you can play back 1920x1080 HD files just as easily, if not more so. I have a feeling my collection is finally coming to rest and won't quite pick up again until Blu-Ray hits.

The only disc this week:

... and bought it mostly for the DTS track.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 27, 2005, 03:29 PM »

The only disc this week:

... and bought it mostly for the DTS track.

DTS?  Hmm...  I own the original DVD releases of both Toy Story's from a couple years ago, but a DTS track might make it worth rebuying them...

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 28, 2005, 02:56 AM »
Transfer was overhauled as well, about as close to HD-DVD as you can get without it being *actual* HD-DVD. I'd say it's well worth it.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 28, 2005, 04:37 PM »
This has to be the single worst release week that I can recall in years.  My only pickup:

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 28, 2005, 11:26 PM »
I wanted the worst, I got the worst. The most ridiculous made for TV movie in the land...

$20 at a local record store. It was yanked a few weeks after it was released, and went swiftly OOP, discontinued, recalled, all that jazz. Word has it that it's a "professional" bootleg, given it was in B&M stores.