Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125403 times)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Mmm..nope. I have a 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD HDTV with the works. I got the RF switch for when I go to my girlfriends parents place. They're the one's with the old TV's. Besides, if I ever sell it, I'd like to have it complete. I've got a light gun around somewhere, too. I tried it out on my friends 42" HP plasma, and it looks "ok". Of course, his set wasn't calibrated professionally like mine, but I still expect a lot of pixelation.

The worst part is, from what I've gathered, you can't play Duck Hunt on an HDTV.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:25 PM by Cory H. »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2006, 04:46 PM »
Dude..I got tell you.  There's something a little weird about a 27 year old man showing up at his girlfriend's parent's home with his NES ready to roll.

Do you show up on their doorstep carring this?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:56 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2006, 04:52 PM »
 ;D

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Her parents are hip, and it's about the only video game exposure I'm sure they've ever had, lol. She and I do a lot of housesitting, as well, and I like keeping my options open. Alison's no novice, but she's not too keen on new age gaming as it is. Gotta keep it simple, and know your roots.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 10:03 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2006, 12:08 AM »
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2006, 04:07 AM »
What the **** is with all the interrogation......?

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2006, 10:02 PM »
I've been buying some NES stuff lately...man, it's so fun to play the real thing over playing emulators.  I found a system at a flea market around a month ago along with an Atari 2600 and some games for $30.  Since then I've found a lot of good games at garage sales and flea markets.  Right now I'm playing Zelda start to finish...it's amazing how many of the hidden secrets I have retained after all these years.  :)  Then again it's amazing how many I've forgotten...

I also found a SNES complete with the box for $20 last weekend.  I've only picked up a couple of games for my daughter (she loves the old games as much as I do), but I'm itching to pick up Zelda and Metroid for that system.  Super Metroid remains an all-time favorite of mine.

John

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2006, 12:51 PM »
I had another great day at a flea market yesterday.  I scored:

A complete N64
Mario Kart for the N64
Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart and Mario All Stars for the SNES
Dr. Mario, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Life Force, Ghosts & Goblins, Ghostbusters, Goonies II, Blades of Steel, Commando, Faxanadu, R.C. Pro Am for the NES

$45 for all of it.  I could have picked up a slew of $1-2 games for the NES but elected to hold off.  I do regret not picking up NES Metroid for $5 though.  Dummy. 

Here's a quick pic of my little setup.  Not bad for a month's work and for less than $100 on all the systems and games.  :)

John

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Wow, your NES still works?

You can only guess what's wrong with mine...

What is the story with the old NES acting up anyway?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2006, 05:16 PM »
My original NES still works, and I even fired it up over the weekend to play some Dragon Warrior. 

I think the biggest problem the old NES's had was their connector pin.  I haven't looked in years, but replacements used to be available on eBay for five or ten bucks each, and they were supposed to have worked marvelously, from what I remember.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2006, 05:35 PM »
I see the bottom of your SNES is as discolored as mine.  Kinda wierd that that seems to happen to them.

My dad's in town and couldn't wait to play Super Mario Kart!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2006, 08:55 PM »
I recently picked up a generic NES platform from a video game store in Minneapolis.  These were made this year and play NES games.  Yobo I think is the manufacture.

I couldn't believe it when I saw it! Totally stunned.  My NES has been busted for a long time.  Tetris baby!
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2006, 10:15 PM »
I see the bottom of your SNES is as discolored as mine.  Kinda wierd that that seems to happen to them.

Yeah, I see that a lot on the SNES.  I've even controllers that are half-discolored.  Kind of odd that it wouldn't be all the way around if it's on one half.

My NES system is touchy.  What am I saying...it's a pain in the ass.  I usually have the clean the game each time I play it.  It drives my daughter crazy that she can't just pop in a game and play it without me having to give it a cleaning first.  I'd love to get the more reliable top-loader, but I'm not ready to shell out $80-100 for one.

John

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2006, 03:19 AM »
I'd love to get the more reliable top-loader, but I'm not ready to shell out $80-100 for one.

Cheak out  the local collector shops for a Yobo top loader.  $25 is all it cost me.

http://www.yobogroup.com/
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2006, 12:29 PM »
My original NES still works, and I even fired it up over the weekend to play some Dragon Warrior. 

I think the biggest problem the old NES's had was their connector pin.  I haven't looked in years, but replacements used to be available on eBay for five or ten bucks each, and they were supposed to have worked marvelously, from what I remember.

I picked up a few connectors a little over a year ago for around $6 a piece. They are really easy to install, all you need is a screwdriver. My only gripe with them is that they are a little tight when you put the games in. On my one, you need a pair of pliers to get the games out. But other than that, the games work GREAT!...

Anyone have a spare power adapter for a Sega Genesis? I have one but the plug is too big for the Genesis itself. If I get that fixed, i'll have a complete Genesis, Super Nintendo and (3) NES's in my collection. Now I just need an Atari 2600...