Author Topic: New JD Review - TSC Bib Fortuna  (Read 3512 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
New JD Review - TSC Bib Fortuna
« on: February 22, 2006, 10:35 PM »
Jesse is not around to start the thread, but I posted his newest review tonight...  ;)

I'm sure he will be by later to let you all know his thoughts on doing this review!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediTray

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
    • JediTray's Website
Re: New JD Review - TSC Bib Fortuna
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 12:04 AM »
This figure is just as much useless CRAP as its predecessors.  WHY does Hasbro refuse to put the CORRECT accessory with this character?  Kenner did it right back in the day, what's so difficult about a damn STAFF?  Why a blaster, and now a pink head with a dagger?  Gimme a break.  I have not bought ONE TSC figure yet, and I am not losing any sleep over it.
"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

My Website

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:09 AM »
I'm back...  Thanks to Jeff for handling my responsibilities here, I appreciate it.

Well, my thoughts on Bib aren't quite as harsh as Tray...  :)

I think he was a figure that, ultimately, needed a resculpt pretty bad and Hasbro delivered an improvement overall.  But is he great?  Does he set new standards?  Does he really rank up with great "Senator-ish" figures like the ROTS Mas Ameda?

Not by a long shot...  The robe's incredibly limiting to his arm articulation, but Hasbro could easily have done better with this figure's arms than they gave, and that hurts it...  The face sculpt's not winning many fans either, and with it not really looking a whole lot better (at all really) than the POTF2 sculpt, then there's an easy negative really...  I didn't mind the face terribly but it could be mmore accurate and less "expressive"...

I can't rate this figure as highly negative because it didn't have a staff...  Fortuna didn't run with the staff a lot in the movie really, the dagger's accurate to him albeit a tiny speck of a point, and really that's cool enough for me but yeah a staff wouldn't have HURT...  It'd have required a new sculpt though, that's always somewhat an issue.  I think a new pistol (they have that sculpted) and perhaps the staff would have made the figure more interesting but I'd have given every accessory back for a figure that took more poses...  The way I figure is I can get a vinty repro staff and just pass it off to the new fig.

At the end of the day, I bought Bib to fill a hole I felt was there in the collection...  The old sculpt didn't hold up, and the new sculpt's 10x better overall but you get a figure you really don't care much about, and you'll not pick up again once you put it on display unless you're cleaning that shelf.  It's just not an interesting figure...  Could it have been?  Arms that had shoulder joints plus the articulation he has currently, and maybe some extra accessories woudl have helped, but at the end of the day this guy was still gonna suck and pegwarm.

Around me, Bib and Leia Boussh are the pegwarmer's of the wave...  Han would be runner-up if it weren't for his obvious customizing potential.  Bib and Leia are all you see in many Wal-Mart and Toys R Us stores though.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:18 PM »
This figure is just as much useless CRAP as its predecessors.  WHY does Hasbro refuse to put the CORRECT accessory with this character?  Kenner did it right back in the day, what's so difficult about a damn STAFF?  Why a blaster, and now a pink head with a dagger?  Gimme a break.  I have not bought ONE TSC figure yet, and I am not losing any sleep over it.

Actually, the movie-accurate accesory was a dagger.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 06:35 PM »
He had a blaster too I guess...  The one the POTF2 figure had was the proper basic shape/look of it, but I guess you couldn't see it.  I don't remember him with the staff, I gotta watch ROTJ again.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:55 AM »
As always, a well writen and very accurate review. In a lot of ways, I can kind of defend Hasbro's choices in designing this figure. However, it's still a mild dissapointment because in the end, it more or less ends up as a well scuplted statue.

Guess we'll have to wait for the VOTC version for the ultimate Bib...
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 05:40 PM »
Really, I don't mind the limited articulation - I mean really, Bib doesn't do much in the film(s).

As well, the inclusion of a staff would've been a cool nod to the vintage version of Bib - that's true - as I recall, there was no presence of a staff in ROTJ? 

But I do agree with the reviewer's comment about the "scowl" - I prefer neutral face sculpts.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:20 AM »
Yeah his face is...  eh.  Weird.

But, to defend my stance on articulation, I only cite the shoulders as truly a negative.  Hasbro's proven a flexible material is possible that, if Hasbro wanted to, they could have sclupted FULL arms for Bib and still had a sculpted robe that covered the arm but which also flexed and moved with the arms if you wanted to pose them a little more.

Bib didn't do much, by far and away...  But as a toy he should be able to do something, and this figure just can't.  Poseability is what kills a toy or makes it great and Hasbro's gotta get away from being afraid to articulate toys.  Scorch, who I don't have in my hands at the moment but I knwo I'm getting him this weekend, is great to his waist...  Then it's all down hill and really it's just a lack of Hasbro wanting to deliver quality on the level they obviously can deliver on...  They have in the past.

When we come off the best year in Star Wars sales in a long time (if not ever), and yet we get a price increase with a quality cut in articulation, then I'm one frustrated reviewer...

I nitpick with Bib slightly, but the arms...  That's the only articulation I really have a problem with.  If the sleeves were of a flexible material, or if they were sculpted separately but made to sort of "blend" together (Bib's robe is layers afterall, so one layer overlapping it could really hide any articulation there), the figure could've then had shoulder joints, and that would have made Bib pretty much as good as it gets...

Well, that and someone closing his mouth before a bug flies in there. :)