Author Topic: Accessories?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Accessories?
« on: May 14, 2003, 05:44 PM »
One of the big trade-ups in the switch from POTJ to Saga was the promise of better, larger accessories in the bigger bubble. Right out of the box, we had Bespin Luke (and his incredibly cool antenna accessory), and CCC Chewie (with the detailed and fun pile of Threepio junk). Since then...?

The new Hoth Han has a hodge-podge of recycled bits, even Mynock Chewie's mynock is essentially rehashed. Carkoon Boba Fett's large "accessory" is just a base, not very stimulating play-wise.

What gives? Did Hasbro reel us in with their best ideas and then fall back on the same old mediocrity?

Do you think we'll ever see neat accessories with our standard figures again?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Accessories?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 05:48 PM »
That's very hard to tell.  The only accessory kits that I think are valuable and worthy are the Arena Conflict and Death Star Accessory Sets.  Hasbro could go hog wild with different accessory sets.  I know there are few prototype versions floating out there, so we'll just have to see what comes next.
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 05:49 PM »
Nope. Hasbro is cheap. If Hasbro was really out to "Make the World Smile" or whatever, they'd get this whole distribution thing fixed... Or at least, make sure that we are getting the figures we want.

It's been like three months since I've seen a new figure, and the ones I really want like Ephant Mon will probably never show up until Hasbro rehashes it.

Ran off course = But anyway... one of the better acc. was the junk that came with Teemto... I thought that it was pretty cool. Unfortunately, this "bigger bubble" isn't being filled up, it was just a gimmick to make all of us happy for awhile... Well, I'm not happy, I'm angry. Okay, done ranting.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003, 05:51 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 09:20 PM »
The other thing that suck-diddly-ucks about the new accessories is the soft plastic they switched to at the tail end of POTJ.  I hate it with a passion, I would guess because it is a cheaper grade (none of that BS about easier to swallow)

While promosing to deliver we have gotten the shaft pretty much

Where is our Vaporator, where is Bubo, where is some Nunas where is some extra table sections or drinking glasses, where is a nice trenchcoat

That is one reason why I love the Simpsons line so much, the ungodly amount of cool accessories they give us

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 11:13 PM »
The thing I liked best about the old card/bubble combination was easier storage.  These saga figs are a pain.  Cards are worse (who knows the cause); because the bubbles are larger, they are much more susceptible to damage, it's really quite annoying.  

Accessories?  These things come with accessories?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 11:18 PM »
Hasbro had a couple "reasons" (Or I like to call them excuses) for changing over to a more and more pliable plastic over the years.

One point they said it was due to how the plastic takes to the molds...  Other excuses were the choking issues, and there were others if I recall correctly.

I for one laughed at the more pliable plastic taking to the molds, and it wasn't long after it was pointed out to them the level of detail and intricacy in weapons from Dragon and 21st Century toys, and detail in even smaller scale than 1:18, that Hasbro finally changed over to the "Well it's for choking concerns" excuse.  

Dragon has a rigid plastic used on a machine gun for their troops, and I kid you not, the gun has a removeable clip and the BULLET at the top is painted it's proper brass color.

You have to see this gun in person to see the locking pin, the wire shoulder stock (collapsable on the real gun), and just to see this teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy gun clip come out of the gun, and still even have paint detailing inside the clip.

It's a simple little thing, but when you see it (And you got this gun type for FREE when you bought one of the Dragon Action 18 $8 figures who had already come with a removeable belt, cloth camo poncho, and 3 extra rifles with grenades and landmines) you just will think how amazing things CAN be from Hasbro if they put their collective minds to work.

I don't expect Stormtroopers to have removeable clips on their guns, but a plastic that's not bent 90 degrees when I open the figure might be nice!   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 03:12 PM »
All I know is that Zam Wessel's gun needs some Viagara, it is so limp
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 07:35 PM »
Yeah, it seemed like the accessory side of things was really looking up there for the Saga line in the beginning, part of which was probably just due to us originally buying into the bigger bubble theory.  But we did have 3-PO's trunk, Anakin's chest, the Bespin Luke and Vader pieces, Chewie's disassembled C-3PO, etc.  But then most of it just vanished!  POOF!

I don't like these ultra pliable accessories we've been getting lately either.  I think it started back in the POTJ line, with some of their accessories.  Remember Amanaman's staff?  Ugh.  I just don't buy into the choking hazards reasoning, since it was never a problem before (unless the laws have recently become much more strict).

But I do like the concept of including some of these cool and unique bases with the figures that we've been seeing recently.  That's definitely a worthy accessory in my book any day - as long as we're still getting the movie accurate corresponding weapons as well, of course!  But when you see some of the figures with this big bubble, one (or no) weapons, and no base, then yeah - I've got a bit of a gripe with those!  I love some of Scott's ideas above - Vaporator,  Bubo, extra table sections, drinking glasses, etc...  I'd love to see these get thrown in with the figures at some point!