Author Topic: 2007  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Violentfix

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Cobra: The Inner Sanctum
Re: 2007
« Reply #15 on: May 2, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Is anyone else afraid of what Hasbro might do with the line if we do indeed get 3D movies? Looking at what they did with GI-Joe, I wouldn't be suprised if the normal 3-4 inch line was put on hiatus aswell.

March 12th, 2007
Hasbro updates today informing us that the Basic figure line has been put on permanent hiatus to make way for their new Total Force 8inch figure line, offering
mechanized battle attack and force speaking action. These figures will retail for 19.99 at all brick and mortar stores everywhere!

Let's keep in mind that Hasbro has brought Joe back, even if it is only direct internet sales, they claim they will let it get as big as the fans support it to.  Imagine being able to buy 24 of an army builder figure without driving to 10 different Targats and Wlamarts.

We'll see what happens but I think Star Wars is safe from anything like you suggested.
For the GI Joe Fans out there, Check out my site:
www.cobratheinnersanctum.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 2, 2005, 05:11 PM »
I think the line will keep going strong... I've been saying that for years.  Most of us that buy the stuff are in our 20s and 30s... if we haven't grown up yet, we never will.   :)

I agree, the emphasis will be on main characters probably later on down the road.  But we might even get some cool EU stuff that many of us have been waiting for (like the Thrawn, NJO series and KOTOR). 

As the technology possibilities expand, so does Star Wars.  Look at all the games that keep coming out, giving us the opportunity to live our EU fantasies out... hopefully they will make some figures to compliment some of the creative stuff that is out there.

Also, I am sure we will still get some really obscure characters in due time.  Especially if they focus on the hardcore collectors. 

I also like the idea of buying online from Hasbro directly.  Maybe we'll get cheaper figures that way?  Or maybe not... they could just charge us higher.   ::)

Still though, it's always fun to go on Toy Runs.  I would really miss that if they quit selling them in stores.  Fortunately, I don't see that happening for a long time.

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #17 on: May 2, 2005, 07:07 PM »
Still though, it's always fun to go on Toy Runs.  I would really miss that if they quit selling them in stores.  Fortunately, I don't see that happening for a long time.

Exactly. The search itself is half the fun IMHO. Clicking a few buttons to get that "Sooper-rare VHTF figure" does not carry the same thrill as grabbing the last one off a peg after doing toy runs twice daily for a month. :P

Online shopping is so unsporting--like those canned hunts where somebody trees a bear and then you go shoot it down. Not a fair fight.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #18 on: May 2, 2005, 09:23 PM »
The hunt is fun, until it becomes pointless.  If you can't even get into the C3 store, for example, or your local Target may or may not get their exclusives.  For some reason around here, finding regular figs has never been easier, but all the exclusives and the nonsense have just about put me off it.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #19 on: May 2, 2005, 11:22 PM »
True. There's tackling a challenge, and then there's beating your head against a brick wall.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 3, 2005, 10:19 AM »
Online shopping is so unsporting--like those canned hunts where somebody trees a bear and then you go shoot it down. Not a fair fight.

If I could hunt down Target employees, hit with a dart filled with "How Can I Help You" serum, tag them for future hunts and move on, I'd be happy with that.  ;D

I do like the hunt when the stuff actually makes it to the pegs - in other words when I can find stuff.

I absolutely HATE the hunt when I can read that people are finding stuff all over the country and the pegs in my area are either bare or stale - this happens A LOT and I don't casually go hunting for new stuff - I hit stores EVERY DAY.

While there are some definite downsides to ordering online (unless then have a mint condition guarantee, you are always vulnerable to less than mint merchandise arriving), there are sometimes that I find myself wishing "If Hasbro would just let me buy from them directly, I wouldn't have to go through this bull****!"

Hasbro should run a RELIABLE "one of every figure" club, sort of like a subscription, say they have 60 figures a year. Let them have $8 per figure - that means $480 per year gets you one of every figure, MOC in a starcase. I would also make it where the purchase is divided up - charge $40 a month and if you want, do like what Cell Phones do - have it be year-to-year and if someone cancells early, charge them a cancellation penalty. If $80 a month got me doubles of the five new figures that month to my door w/o any searching, extra gas expense or frustration, I think I would be REALLY hard-pressed not to take Hasbro up on a deal like that.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 10:33 AM »
More importantly, as long as we keep buying the 3 3/4" line it should be around. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 11:33 AM »
Y'know, the whole 3D thing isn't happening.  It's just too soon and the technology isn't there.  It will happen, but not for the 30th Anniversary.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 07:10 PM »
meh, who needs 3D, go with my Star Wars Saturday extravaganza!

see EpIII, in the TV and Movies section. =)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 07:10 PM by dafoo »
who Learned you To spoke!