Author Topic: Where's our R2 with Saber?  (Read 7819 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Where's our R2 with Saber?
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:40 PM »
Anyone else find it strange that Hasbro has not redone this figure yet?  That Flashback figure was an atrocity.  They never should of made the figure to accomadate a full saber and that was its downfall.   R2 should be fitted for the hilt only.  And either give us a separate Luke Saber or the Blade.  I'm sure it will eventually happen but when ???  Its a boring figure but probably the last new R2 we really need, other than releasing one with the lightning that was included with the AOTC Preview R3-T7.  Which by the way looks really good on R2 for a Jawa scene or Endor Bunker scene. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Where's our R2 with Saber?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 03:08 PM »
Anyone else find it strange that Hasbro has not redone this figure yet?

I don't.  I believe there are some rules/laws regarding the size of projectiles in toys--i.e. if they're too small, they could present a safety or choking hazard.

And I'd go for three more Artoos: 

Straight repaint of the new astromech body (which we might be getting with the new X-Wing)

This one:

And this one:

http://www.astromech.net/Lists/Galleries/astromechs/r2d2/EPVI/images/ROTJ211.jpg

You're right--an electricity bolt accessory would go terrific with it, but I think all those panels popping out would be really difficult to do at that scale.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:29 PM by Grandma Tarkin »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:14 PM »
I considered the projectile part myself, but with the new "turn the head" and the third leg comes out, I thought they could duplicate this with the saber.  It is possible, though costly from a tooling standpoint since a small ramp would have to accomadate this inside of R2.

That R2 with all the popped out accesories would be nice but at that scale it would be tough and probably prone to falling apart.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:17 PM »
I'd like to see both of those R2s pictured above as well, I always thought that an R2 with all his gadgets out from the Endor scene would make a neat one (good idea for an Unleashed maybe too?).  I've often wondered if we'd be getting a new R2 w/saber figure.  I never picked up the POTF2 one, as it looks kind of crappy, but I'd like to see a new one.  I would think there would be some way to do it, even if it doesn't "shoot" out.  The size of the hilt itself shouldn't be an issue, since we get hilts with the Jedi figures often anyways.  Hopefully this is an R2 we'll see in the future.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 03:34 PM »
I considered the projectile part myself, but with the new "turn the head" and the third leg comes out, I thought they could duplicate this with the saber.  It is possible, though costly from a tooling standpoint since a small ramp would have to accomadate this inside of R2.

Yeah, I was thinking of a projecting hilt, but I guess they could do it like that, instead, where it just kind of rises out of the dome.  Similar to what they've done with the VOTC Artoo and new Arfive figures.

How exactly did the one with the vintage POTF Artoo work?  I've got one, but it's in a sealed Kenner baggie, and I've never opened it.   

That R2 with all the popped out accesories would be nice but at that scale it would be tough and probably prone to falling apart.

. . .Which is pretty much what I said in my post.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 04:06 PM »
I would think this is on their "to do" list Jim, and a good idea.

:)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 06:29 PM »
R2's one of those figures that, he really does have a couple more positive resculpts left in him...

Swiss Army R2 from any scene where all his doors fling open...  Perhaps one from ROTS as well (a re-release of a ROTJ one?) that has some "fire extinguisher" spray piece you can snap onto him or something... 

Burnt up X-WIng R2 is a great one too.  He's as unique as ever from that scene.

The pop-up saber is a resculpt high on my list for R2 though (not high on my overall resculpt list, but for R2 it is).  I'd prefer a simple mechanism though where R2's head turns and the saber handle pops up out...  YOu can remove the saber hilt too, but that's it...  No full saber or anything.  Something simple is all I'd prefer personally.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:59 PM »
How exactly did the one with the vintage POTF Artoo work?  I've got one, but it's in a sealed Kenner baggie, and I've never opened it.   

It was basically a full saber stashed from the dome down, similar to the POTF2 one, only it did not go into the 3rd leg.

I think that if you had it work, like the sensorscope on the new R2, I would be satisfied with the hilt in "the ready" position.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:43 PM by Clone Hunter »
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 09:16 PM »
How about an R2D2 with interchangeable domes?  With the lightsaber sticking out, and the other dome normal?

:)

Offline mr director

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 09:28 AM »
I'm all for ANH blasted-R2 and ROTJ blasted-R2.  The ROTJ R2 would be great for the bunker scene i am working on.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 01:58 PM »
This figure really wouldn't appeal to me, it was a great scene in the movie, but after the flop of the first potf2 version I'd hate to see how Hasblow screws it up. :(

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 01:44 AM »
I was always expecting a rehash with the repainted Star Tours R5 droid 'damaged' body, an R2 head and and the AOTC preview astromech electricity wrap kitbashed to create the "Death Star Trench" R2-D2

I believe the vintage (and droids) R2 just basically held the saber, no launching. The saber wa sstubbier and kind of baseball bat shaped (fatter at the end) to 'pop' into into place in the hole in his dome.

The VOTC R2 had the switchable door open/door closed options for the panels. So They coudl do that for a Bunker R2. 
"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 02:20 AM »
This figure really wouldn't appeal to me, it was a great scene in the movie, but after the flop of the first potf2 version I'd hate to see how Hasblow screws it up. :(

Because Hasbro obviously hasn't improved since 1998/99? :)

Not to say they couldn't screw it up, but Hasbro's done well with astromechs in the last several years...  R5's pretty nifty himself, and the Preview Astromech from 2005 was simply the best yet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 09:33 AM »
And I'd go for three more Artoos: 

Straight repaint of the new astromech body (which we might be getting with the new X-Wing)

Something tells me you're going to be disappointed...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 03:34 PM »
Something tells me you're going to be disappointed...  :-\

Actually, no.  As I said in the X-Wing thread, I think it would be really ****** for them to stick that sculpt in with a $45 rehashed vehicle, instead of putting it in the basic line--where they've reused the inferior VOTC sculpt several times.

Gives me much less incentive to buy the X-Wing.  It's a good thing.