Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 305681 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Weekly Q and A
« Reply #285 on: November 4, 2006, 01:41 PM »
THis weeks proof that Hasbro doesn't know dick about "retail"

At FFURG, we're quite excited about the new fan poll at Rebelscum for next year's Greatest Hits (GH) as it will give customizers an opportunity to obtain many figures that are currently quite scarce on the secondary market. You've stated in previous Q&As on other sites that the Greatest Hits are a separate collection from the main collection of new releases. Does it concern Hasbro that the pegs in stores are full of GH figures that aren't moving, leaving no room for other waves of new figures? We're concerned that if there's no room on the pegs, we won't see much of the 2007 GH waves. Is it simply the result of having this year's GH figures be such recent releases from EP3? Do you feel 2007 line of GH figures, with the entire saga to draw from, will do better than the current 2006 GH? (FFURG, 11/03/06)

Actually the situation is the reverse, which is why we like to remind folks that what they see (or would like to believe) does not reflect the real, national situation for Star Wars. But it does give us a chance to explain. Flow of new stock in to retail is automated based on stock levels and the need to replace sold inventory. The Greatest Hits figures are flying even faster than the main collection, due largely to a huge amount of kids engaged in the brand (a very good thing). However, since they are separately managed from a stock perspective (there are two different assortments set up, like Coll 1/Coll 2), with dedicated pegs, the abundance or lack thereof of Greatest Hits has nothing to do with the stock levels of the regular Saga assortment. And thanks for the support on the Fan's Choice vote!

Really Hasbro?  you think the pegs aren't CLOGGED with Not-so-Greatest Hits and Heroes and Pegwarmers figs? 

I say we all take pictures at every retail outlet in town and send them in.  I'll even put up a "bounty" for the person with the MOST pictures.  I believe in calling bull**** when you have to and this is one of those "have to" moments for me.

The pegs may be "dedicated" but the stocker is not...they just fill Star Wars Pegs A and B with whatever is in the box...which oddly is all "B"...and we are taking it in the "A"....

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #286 on: November 4, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Around here, the bulk of the GH stuff sells.  3-PO and Padme sit, but I expect them to vanish the close we get to the holidays, when parents are looking for any SW character to fill a stocking.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 4, 2006, 04:53 PM »
If only we could "tag" individual carded figs to see if they do indeed move and get replenished by a fresh card, or if the same old figures sit there.  I can't imagine Hasbro wishing to lose money, so they have to be somewhat accurate about the sales figures.  Surely, though, they're aware of how quickly figures like the Biker Scout, DS Gunner, AT-AT Driver, etc sell and want to put more army builders out there...
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 4, 2006, 05:04 PM »

Really Hasbro?  you think the pegs aren't CLOGGED with Not-so-Greatest Hits and Heroes and Pegwarmers figs? 

I say we all take pictures at every retail outlet in town and send them in.  I'll even put up a "bounty" for the person with the MOST pictures.  I believe in calling bull**** when you have to and this is one of those "have to" moments for me.

The pegs may be "dedicated" but the stocker is not...they just fill Star Wars Pegs A and B with whatever is in the box...which oddly is all "B"...and we are taking it in the "A"....

Exactly, Paul.  The pegs at the local WMs, TRUs, and Targets might have space set aside for the regular assortments and the "Greatest Hits" assortments, but to the stockperson making minimum wage or slightly above that, all they signify is space for SW figures.  The only time I have EVER seen the figures separated according to Collection designation was at the Episode I Midnight Madness at Wal-Mart where Collections 1, 2, and 3 had their own areas.  Within a few days, that had even fallen by the wayside. 

The fact of the matter is that the GB/H&V assortments are pegwarming.  There are some figures that sell but the majority sit.  Dedicated space or not, more H&V/GB get put out than the regular figure assortments, taking up space that could be used to get actual new figures in the basic line on the pegs.  All the stores see are full pegs of SW figures and NOTHING gets put out because there just isn't room.

The thing that gets me is that this is about the third or fourth time that Hasbro has used this "Your situation is not necessarily indicative of retail nationwide" when the whole reason we are so worried is because the internet communities are nation-wide and this is what ALL of us are seeing!  It's not just Paducah, Kentucky that is seeing a thousand Mace Windus, Threepios, and Padmes, Hasbro: it's every town east, west, north, and south of Paducah that are seeing the same thing, every time we walk into a retailer!

At this point, I have absolutely no faith in Hasbro's ability to make a sound choice when it comes to the marketing of this line.  They make one silly comment after another when their strategies are questioned, treat the people who buy their products as if they should be kissing their feet for the honor of seeing 50 million Padmes at Wal-Mart every day, and insult people by releasing what can only be termed as a substandard product (I'm looking in the general direction of those "dirty" Stormtroopers in the upcoming Tantive IV BP) when they know full well what people want. 

I have to ask:  Does Pawtucket exist in a different plane of reality than the rest of the world?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 6, 2006, 03:57 AM »
WTF is with AFT and SSG asking 6 questions each and Sandtroopers asking NINE questions?  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #290 on: November 6, 2006, 04:10 AM »
Question envy maybe?  Like people who have to have a big truck or the most expensive sports car they can find to compensate for inadequacies? :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #291 on: November 6, 2006, 04:36 AM »
All three sites have had issues recently with getting their questions answered (due to both questioner and questionee error), so Hasbro gave them extra answers to make up for it.  I believe everybody should be caught up at this point.

My own opinion--I think most of the questions those sites ask are garbage anyway, so nine bull**** Sandpooper questions, for instance, is pretty much equal to three good questions from JD or GH.   ;D

But, the way I look at it, the more questions asked and answered, the better--no matter how bad they are.

And speaking of Sandpoopers, some followup whining, which I loved:

Using Star Wars collector sites to run a fan poll is a great idea. It's also an opportunity for a specific site to introduce itself to thousands of potential members the site may otherwise never have a chance to reach.  In the future will you allow other collector sites to have this exclusive opportunity? It's a win-win situation for everyone and Hasbro doesn't run the risk of offending anyone.

It's interesting to me that one of the only (if not the only) SW sites which requires people to register just to be able to look at their forums is somehow upset that they're missing out on "thousands of potential members" by not being part of the Greatest Hits voting process.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 6, 2006, 09:22 AM »
I'll have to get my weekly recap/box score/post-game up later today. 

I agree about the volume of questions being good, I just fear that eventually the customer (dis)service folks that answer these questions on a weekly basis will grow tired of the weekly "When is Clone Concept #3212.1 Coming" or "Why do you like that other website more than you like us" questions and pull the plug.

Question envy maybe?  Like people who have to have a big truck or the most expensive sports car they can find to compensate for inadequacies? :)

SIR!! I have the truck to carry my Armies around (and I'm a Texan, it came with my birth certificate)...the sports car is so I can beat the scalpers to the stores....problem is once I find the stuff, I can only fit 2 figures in the car (4 if I take them home loose)
« Last Edit: November 6, 2006, 09:22 AM by Paul »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #293 on: November 6, 2006, 11:55 AM »
When perusing the Archive, which flavor do you guys prefer:  Categorical, or Chronological?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 6, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Chronological.  Only because I make an effort to read it (your QnA thread) every week.  I suppose if one were looking for an answer to a specific question, then categorically would be the answer.

But for me, chronological is the only way to go.

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 7, 2006, 01:33 AM »
I used the categorical to catch up when I joined.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #296 on: November 7, 2006, 03:14 AM »
Matt, I've actually found I use both a lot...  Actually for site purposes too, it's been helpful.  I'm a big fan of chronological though more than anything I'd say, but I've enjoyed both...  It's gotta be a ton of work though I'm sure, and you've done great with it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 7, 2006, 07:58 AM »
I like the Chronological one myself.  Because I can jump on it Fridays and see what's new in questions from around the Web...without having to scour them myself.  Concise, Convenient and Complete!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 7, 2006, 09:20 AM »
I've used both as well, but lately I find myself using the chronological just to check the current week's answers.  Thanks so much again for all the time and effort put into creating and maintaining both, its much appreciated.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 7, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Yes, Matt deserves a promotion.

To what, I have no idea.