Author Topic: Most Dated Part of the OT  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Most Dated Part of the OT
« on: August 28, 2003, 04:47 PM »
Yoda as a muppet?
Shaggy Hairstyles (although this is back "in" now)
Props?

I say it is this room...

It looks horrible, the hokey blinky lights, the bad old screens.  Although by 70's standards that is the way a ton of control rooms look like in old plants.  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Most Dated Part of the OT
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 12:59 AM »
haha, I actually love the look of that. :)  it's worked its way into multiple games as an Imperial Standard almost, so I kinda dig that...  It's campy but it gives a strange "real" quality to the movie in a small way.

I'd say the space battles, both ANH's and ROTJ's, need major CGI overhauls...  You could do 10x as much with each.  The lil CGI snip-its in ANH were improvements, but honestly I think the models should've been deleted out for CGI ships.  The explosions are noticeably pants for everything but the TIE's shot down in CGI.

ROTJ's still got noticeable frames in the space scenes too that need fixed if nothing else, but could you imagine some CGI broadsiding between Imperial and Rebel capital ships, or the sight of a Rebel Corvette aflame taking a last-ditch ram into the command tower of a Destroyer?  

What about a fighter increase too?  

It's the best space battle, but for a climactic battle it could use some expansion I think, and shows the age of the films a bit more than anything to me, especially the battle in ANH.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 12:13 PM »
Luke's hairstyles really date the movies I think.  Especially in ANH and ROTJ.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2003, 11:57 PM »
References to the "stolen data tapes" in ANH always jog me back to the 70s.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 11:02 AM »
Yeah OCB, that room really gets me everytime. I feel like throwing on some roller skates and boogie-oogie-oogying around the room.

Also the shot of the Super Star Destroyer crashing into the DS2 looks really cheezy. Plus, I could never figure out why even at that scale we don't see the curve of the DS2's surface.

The shots where the TIEs are pursuing the Falcon after it escapes from the Death Star could use some work, like maybe a few shots of the Falcon trying to evade their fire while Han and Luke fire from the turrets.

I wouldn't be upset if every space shot from ANH was redone digitally, as long as they kept virtually the same look. For example, if the opening shots of the Star Destroyer firing on Leia's ship were replaced with identical digital shots that were clean and had a more realistic look (lighting, laser fire, explosion of the main reactor), That would be very cool. Especially if we're getting the untouched original films on DVD anyways.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 11:58 PM »
Luke's hairstyles really date the movies I think.  Especially in ANH and ROTJ.

What?  What's wrong with that hairstyle anyway ??? :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.