Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126508 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #525 on: April 30, 2007, 07:28 PM »
LOVE IT.  I think I recognize the items in the stall as some fancy beads at Hobby Lobby.  Awesome!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 30, 2007, 07:45 PM »
I really like the Fruit Market, It's ashame we did not very the building colors more to better reflect the feel of a true city or town.

The antique dealer Stall is great and the merchant running the shop has a lot of character. Great work on both.

Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 30, 2007, 08:38 PM »
The fruit market arrived today.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2007, 09:52 PM »
here is a couple pics of my other market stall that i put together. it far more simple that the first, but i actually like it better. on the canopy i was running a lighter around it to give it that singed dirty look and well, it lit up a bit. there a good sized scorch mark and about a quater sized hole on it now, but it still looks decent. thie one is a rare stone and antiqueties merchant. id love to hear what you guys think. know what you guys think.

I love it Erik. I like it better than the first one too. I really like the open feel it has and that rug is a great touch. The little antiques are great, this will be a unique one for sure. Do you plan on sending the Mon Cal as the dealer? He works perfectly with the booth. I could see it being able to fold up and close over night so that nothing got stolen. Great job man.

I really like the Fruit Market, It's ashame we did not very the building colors more to better reflect the feel of a true city or town.

The antique dealer Stall is great and the merchant running the shop has a lot of character. Great work on both.

Fritzkrieg

Part of the reason we went with very similar colors for all of the buildings is that it has been established there are a lot of cities like that in SW, for example Mos Eisley, Mos Espa, Theed, Corellia city even, Chandrilla, even Coruscant to a degree.

We also wanted to make sure that the buildings would fit next to each other, color is great but you need to make sure it flows from one to the other without vast contrast, I.E. bright pink buildings next to lime green buildings. That is of course a rather extreme example, but you get the idea. If we had more time and were able to physically meet up get the colors flowing we could do it no problem. As is though we only had a month so controlling the colors to a degree makes more sense since there isn't a whole lot of time to fix building colors that don't work.

Maybe next time we will try to vary the colors more, but I think it should still look great this time. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2007, 11:03 PM »
I.E. bright pink buildings next to lime green buildings

You need to drive through a few of our neiborhoods down here in South FL. That kind of stuff is all over down here. The guy down at the end of my street painted his house Bannana Yellow.
Fritzkrieg

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 30, 2007, 11:25 PM »
You have not put a stop to this man, why?

I'm pumping out a few more things, and some merchants for the booths, and then sending everything at once, as I've said. Some set backs and family issues have come into play, but I've taken care of those things the best I can and now I have some time. Rest assured.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 1, 2007, 01:47 AM »
I.E. bright pink buildings next to lime green buildings

You need to drive through a few of our neiborhoods down here in South FL. That kind of stuff is all over down here. The guy down at the end of my street painted his house Bannana Yellow.

Ah, in Missouri we're not very flashy people.   ;D

:P

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 1, 2007, 01:54 AM »
Weeeeee! Finally got this stuff done.

What was great about these was it was a group project in a group project as my wife participated in the building and painting of probably 50% of this. Had a lot of fun.  :)

More close ups in this directory.

Anyone want to share some mailing tips? lol!

E>

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #533 on: May 1, 2007, 02:28 AM »
Wow, bang up job there E. That's some really nice work. I really like the clear windows around the tops. And that power plant turned out better than I was hoping for. There are some great looking greeblies on all of those too. Do my eyes decieve me or do I see deodorant caps on the roofs?

I'm curious, do we have a roron/Sarge update? I'm really excited to see the final results there, but I haven't heard from Sarge in a week or two. I heard his wife is having some health problems and that may be the cause of his absense. Has anyone tlaked to him? I hope all is well...

EDIT: BTW I think we are going to have to expand the city area for sure...
« Last Edit: May 1, 2007, 02:29 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #534 on: May 1, 2007, 08:30 AM »

Oh yeah, I remember the gaudy colors of FL. I can't stand that place ;) Not that it's much better up here where we have to worry about the a certain percentage of the population painting their houses bad mint-chocolate-chip green, deep electric blue & bright "gooseberry" purple-magenta...

Erm, anywho, nifty low powerstations, E. The the bronze peice is pretty damn cool indeed. Especially the workstation part.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 1, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Elmeaux - that is sweet!! 

I'm so excited about this project.  We really are going to need a bigger place for the city.  Everyone should be VERY proud of all the work you've done.  I know this project is months old but there has been an unbelievable amount of progress made in only about 6-8 weeks!!!

As far as mailing tips - I wrapped everything in bubble wrap and mailed Priority Mail.  From the looks of Phruby's patio - it seemed like everything arrived relatively safely. I went ahead and insured the box with my buildings.  It would be tough to make a financial claim for them but I was hoping the insurance stamps would have them treated with a bit more care.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 1, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I've found that if you write fragile on the box, you are guaranteeing it will be bashed up. Also, if you write, this side up, it will end up on its side or upside down. Things arrive well as long as you put enough padding in the box no matter what way it ends up on my doorstep.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 1, 2007, 11:26 AM »
elmeaux - fantastic work.  Really a creative design with the curves and whatnot.  Very good addition, thank you!

Ryan - as for extending the city - would this mean the wall needs to be extended further?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #538 on: May 1, 2007, 03:36 PM »
elmeaux - fantastic work.  Really a creative design with the curves and whatnot.  Very good addition, thank you!

Ryan - as for extending the city - would this mean the wall needs to be extended further?

MAYBE, but hopefully not. I've been working on a few ways to expand the city without needing to build any more walls. The first would have used your original gate method, with dowels as the gate to expand the wall, without actually expanding it.

We also may be able flip one section of the wall around 90 degrees, turing the table into an 'L" shape and then we can expand out to the right indefinitely and to the top by either one foot or two feet. And the illusion of an enclosed city should still exist. Here's a quick sketch of what I'm talking about:

"This is the way."

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 1, 2007, 03:56 PM »
With all the customs we've made to populate the city what are we going to be puting in the wilderness area?

Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg