Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 194643 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #300 on: August 23, 2004, 11:27 PM »
That was what immediately leapt to my mind to, Nick.  Russell is one of the no-brainers and I'd argue a better all around ball player than Chamberlain.  Certainly not a better scorer though.  Two Celtics in the assortment would be awesome. 

I 'knew' Bird would be in there, but having Dr. J as well is just fantastic.  I don't see these figures sitting on the shelves that much. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2004, 12:02 AM »
Cooperstown has certainly been a hit.  The only guys I see hanging around for any length of time are Robinson and Gibson.  Nolan ships a lot, but he also sells.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2004, 09:41 AM »
I'm all over the Mike Schimdt fig.  My favorite player as a kid.

The Bird figure is going to be tough to find here.  Even casual fans will probably pick him up.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2004, 06:28 PM »
I also figured it was Jean Beliveau, not sure why there was a question mark there (I just copied and pasted.) 

When I interned on "The Best Damn Sports Show Period", Todd McFarlane was the guest on my first day there.  I got to talk to him for about 45 minutes and made sure to ask him questions that people on the Sports Board were always wanting the answers to.  He said that with the Legends series, people are going to be disappointed because there are probably some guys who just won't get done.  Money is the main issue.  When he buys the license to a league (NHL for example) he gets the rights to every player that is playing.  When a guy retires from a league, and is no longer a member of that league's PA, he has to negotiate with that person (or their estate in most cases w/ Legends) and it may cost him as much to make 1 player as it would to get him the rights to an entire league.  As a businessman, he said it wouldn't make sense.  My guess is that will be the problem w/ Michael Jordon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 06:29 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2004, 07:30 PM »
I've heard that the money thing IS the issue with Jordan.  He just wants too much.  I believe Mattel took a bath when they did a toy license with him.

Feedback

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2004, 01:19 AM »
I've heard that the money thing IS the issue with Jordan.  He just wants too much.  I believe Mattel took a bath when they did a toy license with him.

You know it has to be the issue with him.  What else could it be?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2004, 01:49 PM »
Is it the same with Orr and Howe?  I'm surprised that neither has been in one of two series so far.  I know McFarlane has a big hard on for Gretzky, but I'd hardly think that he needs 5 figures before these guys see one ::) >:(

In other news, I stumbled into 2 white Lewis and a white Manning today.  Sadly on trilogo, but I'm not overly attached to them if someone needs them. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Is it the same with Orr and Howe?  I'm surprised that neither has been in one of two series so far.  I know McFarlane has a big hard on for Gretzky, but I'd hardly think that he needs 5 figures before these guys see one ::) >:(

In other news, I stumbled into 2 white Lewis and a white Manning today.  Sadly on trilogo, but I'm not overly attached to them if someone needs them. 

I'm not sure why the lack of NHL Legends thus far, especially after seeing the announcement of the NBA Legends.  The NHL, aside from Gretz, is weak.  Let's hope Todd pushes harder for better stars of the past.

As for those NFL pieces, I'm waiting for the Manning 2pak to grab a white Peyton, but take em to the Spawn B/S/T board.  I'm sure you can unload them there.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2004, 01:22 PM »
Hi Fellas,

I was scoping out the SW stuff at Target today and noticed that they were unpacking a new box o' these, so I grabbed the two that looked "different" (ie not like the others I've seen).

NFL Series 8 Tim Brown (White RAIDERS Jersey) - SOLD
NFL Series 8 Drew Bledsoe (Blue PATRIOTS Jersey) - SOLD

If they are any good (ie chase) and you are interested in them, let me know.  You can have them for retail plus shipping.  If I don't hear back from anyone, back to Target they will go...

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 01:48 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2004, 01:26 PM »
I bet if you wait, MikeyD will be all over the retro Patriots Bledsoe.  Maybe.  Geez, tells you how much I pay attention, didn't even know there was one. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2004, 01:28 PM »
Definitely interested in the Tim Brown.  I'll pass on Bledsoe since I've got one already.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #311 on: August 27, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Got 12" Moss a few days ago at TRU, they had 6 more today, great figure, can't wait to display him

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 27, 2004, 03:08 PM »
The 12"ers take up a lot of room so I'm only getting the Gretzky ones.  I may get the 12" Urlacher.  Not certain though.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 27, 2004, 04:51 PM »
I bet if you wait, MikeyD will be all over the retro Patriots Bledsoe.  Maybe.  Geez, tells you how much I pay attention, didn't even know there was one. 

Honestly, I don't want him.  Was never really that big a fan of his, even when he played for the Pats.

And Brent, wasn't it you who originally posted the Bledsoe retro pic?  I think I replied that Bledsoe sucks ass and Mo Lewis hitting him was the best thing to ever happen to the Pats.  Boy you getting senile :P

Edit: Check out the senileness
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 05:00 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 28, 2004, 04:39 PM »
The Insider called it correctly w/ Cooperstown 2:

http://www.spawn.com/news/news6.aspx?id=12444

I'd buy every figure from that line, especially The Babe!  Very excited for that fig.  Wonder if they'll do a Red Sox chase.