Author Topic: 2005 Academy Awards  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
2005 Academy Awards
« on: February 28, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Anyone see the show?  I really did not.  Just the hightlights the next day.  However, did anyone see Clint Eastwood's 96 year old mom?  Wow!  She looked in better shape than me and I'm 31. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2005 Academy Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:38 PM »
That crap went on last night?

Huh, how about that...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:21 PM »
I haven't watched an award show in years.  It's just not my thing.  I guess I care about the movies themselves, not the actors.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 08:18 PM »
You didn't really miss much.
They gave away some awards in the audience near the nominees, and others they brought all the nominees up on stage and then gave them away.  This way it cuts down on all that terrible waste of time for people hugging and having to walk up to the podium.   ::)
Chris Rock was alright, but really wasn't very improv during the ceremonies.
I gave myself a full facial while the ceremonies were on, so I was kind of in and out watching it.
Beyonce sang around 3 songs, and Antonio Banderas sang one w/ Carlos Santana playing the guitar. 
Renee Zellweger looked ridiculous wearing a skin tight dress that she could barely walk in and dark hair.  We get it- you lost the Bridget Jone's weight- you don't have to go anorexic to prove it.
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 08:41 PM »
I didn't find last night's Oscars terribly inspiring either.  I didn't care for some of their "alternative" presentations of handing out Oscars in the aisles, as well as having some of the contestants line up on the stage like it was a beauty pagent or something.  Dumb.

Got tired of seeing Beyonce perform all the songs too.  Josh Groban's song should've been JUST Josh Groban (it's not a freakin' duet), and the Phantom of the Opera song should've been sung by Emmy Rossum.  No idea why it wasn't, aside from them trying to pimp Beyonce's star power all over the place.  Lame.

Chris Rock seemed surprisingly tame too.  Disappointed with that, since I was expecting him to dole out some pretty good shots at some folks.

Happy to see Clint pick up a couple more.  He's way cool.

Hilary, Jamie, and Morgan Freeman were all shoe-ins, and well deserving choices too, so I was glad to see no ridiculous upsets in those categories.

Can't say I'm really excited with all the "foreign" stuff filtering in though, and in some fairly major categories.  When entire movie clips and songs are in different languages that no one attending and viewing can understand, from flicks that barely saw the light of day in the U.S., I dunno...  Seemed like they were making some kind of attempt to globalize the Oscars this year.  I prefer to watch stuff that I am both familiar with (even if but vaguely) and stuff that's actually in freaking English.  Thumbs down.

Another thumbs down to Melanie Griffith for forgetting she's like 60 years old, yet still has a dress that reveals nearly her entire ass.  **** that.  Show me some of the young, hottie butts, but not from anyone over 40 please.  Thanks.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 10:05 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that Antonio married Melanie and has stayed with her.  From what I always heard is that Antonio this chick magnet extraordinaire and he ends up with her.  It's just a mismatch IMO.  I expect him to be with someone like Penelope Cruz or Salma Hayek.  You know what I mean?  Even Paula Abdul but Melanie Griffith?????????

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 10:53 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that Antonio married Melanie and has stayed with her. 

Melanie Griffith always comes off as dumb as a bag of hammers.  For THAT reason, I don't know how they are together.   ::)