Author Topic: Customs by Sith's Herald - Updated Jan. 2012  (Read 81315 times)

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
Re: Customs by Sith's Herald
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 01:13 PM »
I also got a droid kick recently.  Here are the results.

The first is an Imperial Surgeon Droid.

Next, I took a plain old Gonk and weathered him up a bit.

I think the base for this one came in a Spy Kids pack.  This little guy is a low cost starship maintenance droid.  He is equipped to climb all over rough terrain (like the outside of vessels like the Falcon), and has several interchangable tools and grippers for specific tasks.

This next one is a sentry droid, programmed to patrol estates of the wealthy, and deal with unauthorized visitors.  They are not an uncommon sight in some of the high level apartment building of the Coruscanti elite.

This is a courrier droid, common in the halls of the senate.  Whether in the Old Republic, the Empire, the New Republic or the Galactic Alliance, representatives require a quick, discreet method for sending messages to aides and others.  This droid is equiped with encryption enabled holorecording equipment, advanced high voltage anti-tamper measures, and can easily scale walls in order to scurry over the throngs of people in the senate's corridores.

Whether on a construction site or in a busy spaceport, there is always a need for a medium duty labor droid.  This model is in the same capability class as the popular ASP series, but posseses a higher level processor, so can handle more complicated tasks.

And finally, my favorite, an antique Astromech.  This model is the same vintage of the R-1 series, with similar capabilities (and limitations).  The manufacturer of this model was simply outmarketed by Industrial Automaton.  In fact, IA later stole part of this models upper torso profile when designing the head for their R5 series. If you look close, you will see Bith horns and a guitar string used on this guy.

Thanks and let me know what you think!
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 01:34 PM »
My final new post of the day...

I assembled all of the figures I have customized or embellished in some way for a group shot.

I got to counting and came up with almost 80.  I realize there are customizers out there who have hundreds, but I thought it was a significant number.  I counted and these customs make up just over 10% of my displayed collection!
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 07:42 PM »
 :o :o I love the Obi.The rest are nice too! My heart goes to the jedi!! ;D
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 07:21 AM »
S_H, those droids look beautiful! There's a great balance between a new and shiny look and the applied weathering effects. I'll comment in more detail later this evening.

By the way, very nice to see all your creations together. Nice to see that sweet lil' Kneesaa and those pesky  :P Jawas again  :)

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 08:32 AM »
Thanks for the comments!  I'm currently working on a second Omega Squad Commando and a Cal Skirate, so look for those soon.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 04:40 PM »
I love your customs. I'll take time to post in more detail later, but for now let me say your Montross rocks.

Also, you mean Kal Skirata right? I did a figure of him way back, I'd like to see how your's turns out.
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 05:29 AM »
Imp. Surgeon Droid:
Cool, simple paint job, very Imperial indeed. I like the modification on his left arm and the "apron" is a nice finishing touch.

Gonk Droid:
Really good paint job. The weathering brings it to life.

Maintenance Droid:
Very original idea and a nice b/g story. I'd rather see it without the big antenna on his back though  :).

Sentry Droid:
Probably my favourite of this bunch! The high gloss paint looks great on him, and I love those accessories.

Courier Droid:
Again, very original and the climbing on the walls part is a cool part of its b/g story. Well thought out.

Labor Droid:
Awesome assembly of different parts and a cool colour scheme. I really like the EV-9D9 head turned backwards. Nice to make those bulges look like photoreceptors!

Antique Astromech:
The assembly and paint job add much to the antique look of this one. It figures that the modern astromechs are smaller and more compact than their predecessors. Well executed!

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Thanks for the comments!  I was on the fence about the antenna on the maintenance droid myself.  I figured because of his size, he does not have a very powerful central processor and operates more as an extension of a larger maintenance control copmuter.  He's a little more autonomous than a battle droid, but depends highly on being able to relay complicated diagnostics back to a more powerful system and database.

On the courrier droid, I recalled droids in the NR senate being mentioned quite a bit in the Thrawn Trilogy, when they were trying to find Delta Source.  In a society where they almost always have the option of delegating physical tasks to machines, it seemed logical that droids act a senate courriers and pages.  They are easier to arm/defend and less likely to be corrupted than a live being would be.

I set out to make one or two of these droids.  In doing so all the right spare parts presented themselves to create the rest.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 09:20 PM »
they are all very nice, a lot of hard work paid off, but by a mile the sentry droid has to be the best of the bunch. keep up the good work!  :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #24 on: February 1, 2007, 08:06 AM »
I finished my Skirata last night and am VERY happy with how it turned out!  I also finished a second Omega Squad Commando and should be able to finish up an Emtree (M-3PO) from Rogue Squadron tonight.  Hope to get the pics up as soon as possible.

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Here are some new ones.  Let me know what you think.

Here are a few of my Kal Skirata, the wiley old Mandalorian Warrior that Jango Fett recruited to help train ARC Troopers and Republic Commandos.  He's carrying his Verpine rifle and even has his three edged knife on his belt. The recipe was Zuckuss legs, 300th Boba Fett torso and upper arms, Endor Trooper lower arms, G.I.Joe Jinx skirt (Kama), head from the line of WWII figures Walmart carries, and a hollowed out POTF Boba Fett head for the bucket.

Next was my 2nd Omega Squad Republic Commando.  Once again, he's wearing the flat black Katarn armor mentioned in the novel 'Triple Zero'.  The body was stock.  The backpack and weapon were customized.

Omega Squad Commandos

Papa Kal with his boys

Next was a pair of guards.  I decided to call them Hapan Honor Guards.  Recipe was a POTF Bib Fortuna body, various Darth Vader arms, Skiff Guard Lando helmet (without the mask) and a couple extra heads I had.

Next was Emtrey, the M-3PO military protocol droid that was assigned to Rogue Squadron.  I didn't really care for the way the head was drawn in the 'Essential Guide to Droids'.  This was my own take.  Recipe was a ROTS C-3PO, some modified chuncks of the DS Gunner's helmet, and the Jedi underwater breathing accessory from TPM.

Finally, a made an Imperial R3.  My paint didn't turn out as crisp as I would have liked.  My white took several coats to cover, especially where I made mistakes with the black.  My biggest problem, however, was how sloppy Hasbro applied the green on the head of the original figure.  Their overspray shows behind my black.  Overall though, I thought the black and white made a nice contrast for an Imperial Astromech.

Enjoy!

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 04:42 PM »
 :o :o :o Awesome I really like those! Great job! ;)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 03:14 AM »
I like your guards - they have a simple yet regal look to them.

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 08:11 AM »
Thanks!

Offline ars30

• Youngling
  • What is Understood_ Doesn't need to be Discussed
    • View Profile
    • Tradelist
« Reply #29 on: March 4, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Hi,
I Loved All Your Customs But I Believe My Personal Favorites are Papa Kal & The Omegas.
The Black Hapen Guard Looks Almost Exactly like Jules From Pulp Fiction.
Is That A Mace Head With A Mustache Painted On?  ;D

Allen