Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 116843 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #705 on: January 11, 2005, 09:09 PM »
The only reason the Mets are even able to do all of this is because they are starting their own cable network.  If they weren't, they wouldn't have signed any of these guys.  They just need the star power so they are over-paying for guys like Pedro and Beltran.  Now they're going after Carlos Delgado.

As for Sosa, his best years are behind him, no question and there is talk that they still want to trade him and that the Mets may just revisit those talks. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 12, 2005, 12:21 AM »
Is it news that Randy Johnson is a Yankee now?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 12, 2005, 07:39 AM »

I think everyone knew that was coming.  Personally, I don't care.  They want to put their stock in a 41 year age pitcher with a bum knee, fine by me.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 13, 2005, 01:01 AM »

I think everyone knew that was coming.  Personally, I don't care.  They want to put their stock in a 41 year age pitcher with a bum knee, fine by me.

I think you may be oversimplifying Johnson a bit.  He is the last pitcher that I want to face if I'm a batter in a big spot.  Give me anyone but him.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 13, 2005, 07:39 AM »
He's a great pitcher, no doubt.  But he is almost 42 and he is pitching in New York.  I'm not saying the added pressure will get to him, but the NY media is a hell of a lot tougher than anything he saw in Seattle and Arizona.  Hell, he got into a beef with them before he even took a physical.

One thing, Sox-Yankees just got a lot intenser, not that it wasn't already.  Looking forward to Schillng-Johnson on opening night (if Schill's ready).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #710 on: February 2, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Does anyone think Sosa with the O's gives them any better shot at catching the Yanks or BoSox (or even Toronto)?  Anyone think Sosa will ever hit more than 45 HR again (corked bat and 'roids not withstanding)?  :-\

I didn't think so. 

On a positive note, only 2 weeks to the start of spring training!   ;D  With no NHL and a sub-par Wolves team, I will probably be turning my attention the the Twinkies much earlier than planed.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 2, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Sammy will bring in the crowds for Angelos.  Maybe he'll stop whining about the Nationals infringing on his territory.  Maybe not.  I think Sammy will still hit his share of HR, but it won't help the O's.  They just don't have the pitching.  The Cubs will be better off without Sammy.  He was a cancer in the clubhouse.  It was time for him to move on.  I think Jeromy Burnitz will offset most of what they lost with Sammy gone.  They need another hitter to replace Alou, though.  The Cards will probably win the division again.
I hear you about the Twins.  The Vikings were a huge letdown this year, the T-Wolves are becoming one, there is no Wild.  We need the Twins to win the division again.  Hopefully Morneau lives up to his reputation and the Twins have a guy hit 30 HR for the first time in forever.  It's embarrasing that they've gone so long without one.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 2, 2005, 02:19 PM »
Does anyone think Sosa with the O's gives them any better shot at catching the Yanks or BoSox (or even Toronto)?  Anyone think Sosa will ever hit more than 45 HR again (corked bat and 'roids not withstanding)?  :-\

Nope.  I saw the O's play the Yanks plenty of times last season, and it was their pitching that was their weakness.  They put up a lot of hits, but their pitching didn't keep them in it.  The O's need at least 2 good starters and someone good in their bullpen to be contenders.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 2, 2005, 04:41 PM »
As a Cub fan I am not all that thrilled with Burnitz coming over.  Unless they also sign Magglio.  I doubt that will happen.  Hairston Jr and Burnitz at the corner outfield spots is not that great IMO.  We'll see though.