Author Topic: Community Project Idea: symbols for star wars occupations  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
EDIT - I have changed the title to reflect a modification in the theme of this discussion. Continued in the next post by me in this thread... Jesse, your input inspired me to changed the direction of this thread...I hope its ok with the way I am doing it...

(Old information from previous version of the thread).
I have been searching for a medical or medic symbol for star wars but never found one. Since I do have a Clone Medic in the planning stages, I figured I would need to develope one. I wanted something that would look similar to a real world Medic symbol but also look Star Wars-ish...
Here is what I came up with:

I wanted you guys to let me know what you think. Suggestions on how it should or shouldnt look, or is it ok as is?
Real world medic symbol:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:44 AM by Straxus »
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Medical Symbol? Here's mine, looking for input.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:45 AM »
It's definitely different... 

The problem with medical symbols for a galaxy of millions of species adn such, there's lots of differences in the species physiology and things.  Tough to come up with that "red Cross" universal medical symbol recognized by all of them.

I think simplicity is important, at least to me, so personally I think the emblem you made looks cool but busy for that task...  It's neither here nor there though, there's definitely no known EU medical logo for the Star Wars universe.  Weird stuff when you think of all the EU that actually has been covered.

Personally I've thought of using simply a logo (any faction you want really) on a white armband...  Mimicking the red cross logo's of WW2 for corpsmen and medics, but without the cross obviously.  That's been my "route" in the past with this task anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Community Project Idea: symbols for star wars occupations
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 03:09 AM »
In this case I am thinking a symbol probably mainly recognized by the Republic and the clone armies. A friend of mine said is looks too engineer like, so I am going to give it a shot without the middle details to make it more basic like you said, get rid of the spikey swirls and tilt the design 45 degrees and see how it looks...

EDIT -
OK, going to change the title of the thread...
How about we as a community come up with a medical symbol for use for Republic, Empire, Alliance, etc...
How about it? We all could submit ideas and vote on a generalized symbol.
Think about it this way, if there was a wide spread use of a symbol agreed upon, when someone made a custom of say a medic, or engineer, or janitor, etc... they could throw a symbol onto their custom and there would be no doubt of what the custom was of!
Another thing to think about. The 501st eventually became Star Wars canon and it just started out as a bunch of fans who dressed up as stormtroopers. With enough wide spread use of a symbol though the customizing community might eventualy catch on to other things, like the star wars rpg, star wars galaxies, maybe even the comics and who know...maybe in one of the planned star wars television projects. I am not saying that for certain it will, but wouldnt it be worth giving it a shot?

So my idea is lets as a community come up with some ideas for some symbols for different groups:
Organizations: (for example...)
Rebel Alliance
Republic
Galactic Empire

Occupations to have a generalized symbol for...
Medical (Medic, first aid, hospital symbols)
Engineer
Radiation
Biohazard
(just a few examples...)

These would not be universal, but significant for a specific Government type.

So lets start making our mark in the Star Wars Expanded Universe!!!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:41 AM by Straxus »
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
Re: Community Project Idea: symbols for star wars occupations
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:49 AM »
Try looking in to a med droid or bacta tank design since it seams that one of them is where your going to end up.
He's no good to me open