Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 353010 times)

Offline Durge

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: OT Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2004, 09:36 PM »

Definetely a camera phone image.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2004, 10:01 PM »
Anxious to see if the helmet actually fits over the head, or if it pegs on. It seems like it'd be difficult to get it to fit right, without scratching up stuff. God help us all if it's a variation...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2004, 10:04 PM »
Wow looks pretty nice, I'm staying as far away from these as I possibly can, however :P

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Wow looks pretty nice, I'm staying as far away from these as I possibly can, however :P
Ditto
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2004, 02:29 PM »
Leia in Boushh diguise is coming to the bust line-up! It will have removable arms, one with a blaster and one with a thermal detonator. It is also rumored to have a remoeable helmet!

Stay tuned!

It isn't a blaster.  It's the staff that Boussh holds.  It's a great piece, no doubt.  I got to see it over the weekend in Chicago, and it's very nice.  However, it's also a prototype.  That's why photography wasn't allowed.

The helmet doesn't actually go over the Leia head.  Rather, there's a pin that holds in up.  The left hand has interchangeable fingers so that it can either cradle the helmet or brandish the thermal detonator. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2004, 02:34 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the info Nick.  Interchangeable fingers?  Cool.  That's definitely a first!

I don't quite understand the helmet/head thing though...  What do you mean there's a pin that holds it up?  Isn't it still over the head?  Or is the head removable?   ???

Real nice looking piece though, making me want to delve into these OT busts even more.  I'm this close now...

Nick, any other breaking news out of Chicago, or was that pretty much it?  I haven't seen or heard squat from that show around the net...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Interchangeable fingers? Sure it's not just the whole hand or forearm? The latter would seem more likely.

In regards to the helmet, is it a solid piece with a peg on it, or does it fit on top of an interchangeable dummy head? She wouldn't look right holding an entire head with the peg sticking out of it. They could just as easily make her head swappable. One regular head, one head shaped dummy with not features. You put on the dummy head, and the helmet can rest on it. More expensive route, but it'd look better than holding a solid head (versus a mask with potential interior detail)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2004, 04:22 PM »
Now I might just have to get this one.  Just this one, mind you...nothing else from this line...just this!!  (right Matt :-*).

Seriously, it will look great next to my MR thermal detonator and a picture that Carrie signed.  How much do these things typically run??  How does one go about getting these??  I am assuming you just order straight from GG but I never really paid much attention before as I successfully stayed clear of another toy line but I should have known sooner or later, I'd have at least one!! :-\
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2004, 04:24 PM »
They usually start at about $45 each, Beth.  Some drop to around $40 later, some move up just a little.  This one might be a little more with the extra features...  Dunno.

Lotsa e-tailers carry them.  I don't even know if you can get one straight through GG, unless you're a member of their "collector's club"...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Thanks Matt.  I'll have to poke around EE and AFX.
Beth

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2004, 04:48 PM »
ActionFigureXpress is a good place to get them. ThingFromAnotherWorld (tfaw.com) is the best probably. They are the first to get them whenever they're released. They retail anywhere from $45-$55 depending on accessories, but you can almost always find them at other e-tailers for as little as $35-$40. It's a trade off. Buy from the bigger stores and you've got less to worry about in terms of allocation and getting yours. Other e-tailers may be cheaper, but if the bust turns out to be a huge hit, they may not get their full allocation.

Currently, Gentle Giant doesn't sell direct, but this should be an upcoming change, starting with the convention exclusive Luke as Stormtrooper, in which they'll be selling anything that wasn't sold at the cons, along with whatever they allocated to online sales before the cons. I'd venture to say about 1000 will be available online. Currently, all the GG Collector's Club is, is a subscription to their newsletter. Just go to their site, sign up for the email newsletter, and you're in!

Matt, just look! EVERYONE's doing it! Join us.... jooooooiiiiiiin uuuuuuussssss......

Gentle Giant also makes Matrix minibusts. Check out this wicked cool upcoming 10 DVD set for The Matrix Trilogy:

This is the deluxe set, a standard version (boxed, similar in style to the Godfather box set) is also coming. Both versions have 10 discs, I believe the deluxe set also includes a soundtrack? You get Matrix, Matrix Revisited, Reloaded, Reloaded Revisited, Revolutions, Revolutions Revisited, Animatrix, and 3 extra feature discs.

Also in the world of movie minibusts, Hellboy Director's Cut is due out this December, and a special box set will be made available (not sure if just the DVD will be available or not). It will include a very cool Sideshow Toys Hellboy minibust! :)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2004, 05:46 PM »
Never ordered from tfaw but I'll have to bookmark their site and watch for pre-orders.  I'd rather pay a little more and have the item then play the maybe-they'll-get-it-maybe-they-won't game.  Thanks Adam.
Beth

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2004, 06:14 PM »
When you're looking, check under collectibles as well as toys, sometimes they show up in odd categories...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2004, 12:02 AM »
Got the letter today regarding the Luke stormtrooper bust and the leftover bustups as well.  Limit one per person. 

Guys, get on the email list, it's simple.  Sale date is later this month.  Next week I think, can't remember if they said a date, just that they were counting what was left. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2004, 08:32 AM »
August 25th, limit one per person, per order, per day (one order per day).