Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65504 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #45 on: October 2, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Well they've come close.  The 3PO was a horrible new mold and they did resell us the VTSC Biker Scout and VOTC stormtrooper as regular carded releases.

Not close at all.  Regardless of whether they've been any good or not, and regardless of what they've done with the sculpts afterward, all of the retro-vintage sculpts were brand new at the time of their release.  (Although Endor Han did share some parts with the first Han, I do believe.)

So yes, they technically have not re-released a regular release in the vintage line, but even though a figure is a new tool, doesn't necessarily mean it's better or worth the premium price.

I agree with that, although it's a different argument. 

I'm sure that if the IG-88 rumor pans out, it will be quite a bit different than the previous Iggy figures.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #46 on: October 2, 2006, 05:43 PM »
the o4 figures except: obi-wan,lando,& threepio ruled in my opinon, but i have only ever considered two of the 06 ones (tusken raider and scout trooper) and the pilot luke for custom fodder. but the price and the quality have me putting them back everytime.

i'm not holding my breath for next years, they should really just start making every figure like these ones, atleast ep3 figures where all mostly to this caliber, and from what i can tell the Kitbash Collection will be up there with these as well.....

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: October 2, 2006, 09:48 PM »
previous Iggy figures.
Making up our own nicknames now, I see ::)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #48 on: October 3, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Making up our own nicknames now, I see ::)

That's the way all the cool people refer to him.  I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it before.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #49 on: October 4, 2006, 02:01 PM »
*Hasbro has repeatedly stated in the Q & A's that they have no plans for doing POTF-style vintage cards, and it's been thought by some that the coins may be the reason for that.  But with the coins returning in the basic line next year, I have to wonder if that may open up the possibility for some POTF-style vintage releases

Thought I'd revisit this. . .  thought, given how all of the info is now out in the open about next year's coin pack-ins. 

Here's what Hasbro has had to say on the subject in past weeks:

Is Hasbro planning on releasing any vintage figures on the POTF cardback? (POTF2, 6/30/06)

We don't have any plans to use POTF-style cardbacks for the Vintage line right now.

For the vintage-style figures...are there any plans to make them with a POTF card with a coin? (JTA, 6/30/06)

We don't have any plans to use POTF-style cardbacks for the Vintage line right now.

Are there any plans to revisit the POTF cardbacks when issuing the new vintage line of figures? (YF, 6/23/06)

---------------------------------------------------

Okay, so back in June, they "had no plans" for POTF-style cardbacks in the retro-vintage line.  I get it.  But three months have passed, and the cat is out of the bag, as far as next year's coin pack-ins go.  So wouldn't that be a perfect time to do a run of POTF-style cards?  I mean, they're already manufacturing the coins anyway, and clearly there's interest in POTF-style cards, and it would be a great opportunity to get a little extra mileage out of the retro-vintage line. . .

So what do you guys think?  POTF-style vintage cards next year, or no?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 4, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Yes, it would make sense.

Obviously the vintage style figures won't include pack-ins (similar to the last two years).

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #51 on: October 4, 2006, 03:11 PM »
And just for reference, here's another list of everything that appeared on the POTF cardback:

POTF:

Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) with pop-up lightsaber
Luke Skywalker (In Battle Poncho)
Romba
Amanaman
Barada
Imperial Gunner
Han Solo (In Carbonite Chamber)
Luke Skywalker (Imperial Stormtrooper Outfit)
Anakin Skywalker
EV-9D9
Warok
Lando Calrissian (General Pilot)
A-Wing Pilot
Imperial Dignitary
Yak Face

Really slim pickins there, especially after this year.  We just got Luke Poncho and the Imperial Gunner, so they're out.  And we got Han Carbo and "Barada" earlier this year, so they're probably out, too (although I think Barada deserves a re-do).  Luke Stormtrooper is coming in the Marvel line, I believe.  Anakin would be a great candidate, but the whole Sebastian/Hayden issue muddles things (thanks, George).  Lando might be nice, but we just got one two years ago--although a more-articulated one would be welcomed.  Then you've got Amanaman and EV-9D9, which I'm not sure can be improved upon too much.  Then there's the Imperial Dignitary (Sim Aloo), which would be an incredibly tough sell at this price point, in my opinion.  The A-Wing Pilot might be cool, but Hasbro seems to prefer doing helmeted Imperial troopers for this line.  Artoo would be possible, I suppose.  That leaves Yak Face and the two Ewoks.  No chance in hell of getting Ewoks in this line.  I'd like to see Yak Face, though--it'd be cool to finally get a carded version in America.  But how would they do it?  The Canadian card?  Or the unproduced American card? 

And here's everything else that had POTF logo releases:

Chewbacca
See-Threepio (C-3PO) with removable limbs
Darth Vader
Imperial Stormtrooper
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi
Jawa
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Fighter Pilot)

Yoda, The Jedi Master
AT-AT Driver

Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit)
Gamorrean Guard
Biker Scout
Nikto
Princess Leia Organa (In Combat Poncho)
Wicket W. Warrick
The Emperor
B-Wing Pilot
Han Solo (In Trench Coat)
Teebo
AT-ST Driver
Lumat
Paploo

So that's twenty-two other cards they could do.  Eight of them have already been done in the vintage line (nine if you count Threepio), four of them are Ewoks, and we just got a really nice AT-AT Driver this year.  So that realistically leaves eight (or nine, depending again on Threepio):

Jawa
(Threepio limbs)
Luke Jedi
Gamorrean
Nikto
Leia Endor
Emperor
B-Wing Pilot
AT-ST Driver

The Jawa might be a tough sell due to his size, and even if he wasn't, I'd rather see a SW-carded version instead.  I'm not a huge fan of the semi-helmeted army builders.  I'd like to see 'em, don't get me wrong, but not for $10+ each.  Same with Nikto.  That leaves Luke Jedi, the Gamorrean, Leia Endor, and the Emperor--all of which would make for excellent vintage-style figures, in my opinion.  There's a lot that could be done with them which would make them worth the dough--Luke Jedi and Leia Endor have tons of accessories, the Gamorrean is huge and needs updating anyway, and there's still the need for a really good soft-goods Emperor, I think.

Anyway, I don't mean to go on and on about this ****--I just really like the POTF cards.  I think they're the most-handsome of the vintage logos and I'd like to see some new versions of them.  And now that Hasbro's making coins, I see no reason why they shouldn't.  And it's always fun to speculate.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 4, 2006, 07:38 PM »
Okay, so back in June, they "had no plans" for POTF-style cardbacks in the retro-vintage line.  I get it.  But three months have passed, and the cat is out of the bag, as far as next year's coin pack-ins go.  So wouldn't that be a perfect time to do a run of POTF-style cards?  I mean, they're already manufacturing the coins anyway, and clearly there's interest in POTF-style cards, and it would be a great opportunity to get a little extra mileage out of the retro-vintage line. . .

So what do you guys think?  POTF-style vintage cards next year, or no?

I would definitely say that it's a possibility.  First, Hasbro has been asked some VERY direct questions about specific products in the Q&A sessions, and in some cases they've offered flat denials.  Fast forward to Comic Con and some of those self-same products were confirmed by Hasbro either in the display cases at their booth, or in the presentation they held.  The Q&A's certainly aren't gospel, and Hasbro has played some things very close to their vests.

Another things that makes me think that they may make a POTF vintage figure is this:  The recent Hasbro piece about that the collectible coin album stated that the album has some extra slots that are set aside for duplicates and potential promotional coins.  The POTF coin might fit in with the whole promotional coin concept that they've been discussing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #53 on: October 4, 2006, 10:46 PM »
I think that the extra slots are for convention only coins...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: October 4, 2006, 11:51 PM »
In addition to the convention exclusive coin rumors, we've also got rumors of UGH gold coins next year too and that could be what Hasbro means by "promo" coins... 

POTF Cards would be pretty cool though if they could swing it.  As lame as it is to say it, I'd be all over a VOTC-quality Sim Aloo or VOTC quality YakFace.   :-[
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 5, 2006, 12:03 AM »
I think the best choices for new vintage-themed figures are any characters with significant amounts of armor or soft goods.  I don't think Leia Endor needs to be in this line, just as Luke Endor didn't need to be.  Furthermore, Chirpa is proof that any ewok can be in the regular line.  Now, I think the Snowtrooper is the perfect choice, as would be a new Death Star Trooper.  IG-88 might work if they upsize him about 50%.  Rebel Pilots would be perfect, such as A-Wing and B-Wing pilots.  Definitely would like to see a new Walrus Man here, and even an Admiral Ackbar, even though they aren't armored or needing soft goods.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #56 on: October 5, 2006, 12:55 AM »
I think the best choices for new vintage-themed figures are any characters with significant amounts of armor or soft goods.  I don't think Leia Endor needs to be in this line, just as Luke Endor didn't need to be.

Yeah, but the base figure for Endor Luke was already fairly decent, with a good likeness, and better-than-average articulation.  The base figures for an Endor Leia in the same style wouldn't be as good--the last General Leia is six years old, with six points of articulation, and the Endor Leias that came before that aren't really all that great, either.  I suppose with a few new parts and some kit-bashing, they could make a decent General Leia base figure, but then there's the whole issue of scale, and I don't think Hasbro really started paying attention to scale until after the most recent one was released.

I don't know, I think there's a lot of potential there--a chance to give us an all-new sculpt, well-articulated, with some good accessories, and it'd be a way to give us two characters in one, really.  Plus, it's another main character--and they've been pretty important in the retro-vintage line.  I think there's a lot more "bang for your buck" with a new Endor Leia as opposed to a new Ackbar, for example.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #57 on: October 5, 2006, 04:48 PM »
From what the reports say IG-88 has replaced the Jawa which I think is  a good move. The Jawa got moved to the regular line, which I suspect was a price value issue. IG-88 is a good choice because they can really hook him up this tim and not make him so static as his puppet counterpart in ESB.

Ackbar needs a new figure but is not VOTC worthy. So I agree with you there. Lyuke Endor would have been sweet here, we all could have had that final duel one we been clammoring for.
I really hope its Han Bespin not Han Hoth. I am bored of Hoth and fine with the Han we have. I would love to see some POTF re-release for this, its perfect timing with the coin thing going on. Luke Stormtrooper, Yak-Face would be very cool to see. Yak may not be the most popular but he was the most rare.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 5, 2006, 05:17 PM »
Yakface certainly has that nostalgia factor and vintage significance, but boy, talk about a pegwarmer in the making.  Think VTSC Greedo but worse.  They would need to slightly underpack him in cases to keep demand high.  About Endor Leia, I absolutely agree we need a new sculpt of Leia's ROTJ duds under the cloak, with some knee articulation.  I just think the scale issue and general simplicity of the figure would better suit the regular line.  But I certainly wouldn't refuse to buy her!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #59 on: October 5, 2006, 05:31 PM »
It's funny how poeple want the Power of the Force cards reproduced.  To me, those cards were one of the firts steps towards killing the SW line,  There was too mcuh black, and the character picture became smaller.  I bought all of the POTF figs when the hit in 1985, and even back then I felt the coins were nonsense.

Personally, I think Hasbro needs to blow the VOTC/VTSC line wide open with new Rebel Fleet Trooper on a "new" Vintage Style Card.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com