Author Topic: Anyone else losing interest?  (Read 17549 times)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else losing interest?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2006, 11:14 AM »
My interest level has picked up a hair this month - not a ton, but a little bit.... between finding a Sandtrooper at retail, picking up some of the Naboo figures, and the Carnor Jax / Kir Kanos thing arriving yesterday.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 02:51 PM »
Minor interest right now. I don't go on the hunt at night since I am working on my masters and have classes at night, and then spend my free time with my family (might hunt and take the time for the 1st wave in Dec./Jan.) since the clones will fly out real quick. I'll get part of the 1st couple of waves and that is all. Hasbro will only get $100 to $150 out of me next year.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Between the battle packs and the rehashes, my interest dwindles more each passing day. 

Crap.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 03:45 AM »
Between the battle packs and the rehashes, my interest dwindles more each passing day. 

Crap.

Your not kidding. I actually took the time out to see if there was anything worth it at Walmart. Rehashed Battlepacks and "Greatest" Battles.

And now seeing the rehashed lameness that's coming up my interest is dwindling fast. It'll probably peak back up when the first couple of waves of next years line but right now not even the clones are keeping my interest.  :-\
I remember my dream now.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 08:22 AM »
My interest has been gone for months now and by the looks of things, I got out at the right time.  Thanks to too many ****** rehashes, crappy figures (I'm looking at you Naboo Soldier) and more and more absurd decisions being made by Hasbro (dirty Stormtroopers?  What the ****?), the fun wasn't there anymore.

I'm still going to pick up any astro droids that come out as I'm a fan of the little guys and any future VOTC, but other than those my 3-¾" Hasbro days are over.  I'd rather give my hard earned money to Sideshow, Medicom, Acme, etc.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 6, 2006, 05:06 AM »
I'm actually considering selling off my carded collection.  After being a carded collector for 10 years, I never thought this day would come. 

I've loved collecting these figures for so long, but Hasbro broke me with their overkill.  I'll grab the occasional figure if I like it, not because I feel I have to.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 6, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Crap.

It's because the attitude at Hasbro is crap.

It's because the product (what? approaching 80%?) that is being put out is crap.

Crap.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 6, 2006, 12:58 PM »
All one has to do is look at the last two waves for this year - every single figure is a rehash.  And by rehash, I don't mean kit-bash - I mean ****** new paint.

And who could forget these gems?  Thank god they're ****, because you'll never find these WM exclusives....

I actually miss the POTF2 days when everything on the pegs was new and somewhat fun to look for.  Now it's a chore and you actually regret finding new figures because that means you have to buy them.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 6, 2006, 01:44 PM »
I actually miss the POTF2 days when everything on the pegs was new and somewhat fun to look for.  Now it's a chore and you actually regret finding new figures because that means you have to buy them.

Exactly!  This hobby is supposed to be fun, not a chore.  From now on I buy what I'm actually excited about, not dreading.  It just doesn't make sense otherwise.  And I am excited about a lot of other items.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 6, 2006, 02:25 PM »
I don't know if I'm necessarily losing interest, because I still really like a lot of the new stuff - but its getting to the point of getting a bit overwhelming.  There's just so much stuff, even just in the basic line - not to mention any "other" lines, and of course the repacks and other questionable decisions don't help things any either.

I miss the POTF2 days when things were just simpler overall.  I don't miss the He-Man sculpts or anything like that, but like I've mentioned before I wouldn't mind if things were toned back and a little more limited in releases throughout the year.  I mean, we are all in charge of what we buy or don't buy, but I'd rather there weren't 60-80 figures each year in the basic line - its just too hard to keep up.  Plus, I'm getting to the point where I'm really running out of space, and although I don't want to pack things away I have to make some decisions what I'm going to collect.  I don't want to buy things just to store away necessarily, so I need to decide what I want to have out/collect.  I've never been a completist, and pretty much just buy what i want, but I can't imagine those who are completists with all of the repacks, battle packs, etc.  That said, I am excited for next year (the 1st wave looks pretty spiffy to me), and I'm hoping we'll see more of that (and lots of OT product).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #40 on: November 6, 2006, 02:55 PM »
The repacks make the sheer volume of stuff easier to get around, since I don't buy them, but the strange thing to me is there's actually not a lot of new stuff.  There's way too much stuff, I have no space, but there's very little new or exciting.  I pine for the POTF2 days a little too.  All of this, with the exception of the PT, feels like somewhere we've already been.  The new sculpts and articulation on the updated figs are wonderful, but I'm not excited about Veers the way I am say a Clone Wars fig because I already have one.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 6, 2006, 02:55 PM »
I went on a Toy Run yesterday (my first since Mid-September, to show you how much my interest has dwindled) and besides a few Jerjerrods and Ewok Throne C-3POs, every single figure was a Greatest Battles figure. Not only that, but Target didn't even have any of their exclusives on the shelves, they were all in the back. I'm already cutting back, and it wouldn't suprise me if I stopped collecting by the end of 2007. The interest for me is just vanishing quickly.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 6, 2006, 03:09 PM »
I went on a Toy Run yesterday (my first since Mid-September, to show you how much my interest has dwindled) and besides a few Jerjerrods and Ewok Throne C-3POs, every single figure was a Greatest Battles figure. Not only that, but Target didn't even have any of their exclusives on the shelves, they were all in the back.

That said, I am excited for next year (the 1st wave looks pretty spiffy to me), and I'm hoping we'll see more of that (and lots of OT product).

There's a big part of the dilemma for me as well.  Up north we tend to have much poorer retail distribution.  We have fewer stores that carry and sell through less product.  Once Christmas rolls past, we're in a drought that may last from one to eight months.  With all of the Heroes and Villains (yes, that's right, there's not been much of a release yet of GB stuff) clogging up the pegs, there will be no interest in bringing in new stock based on the justification that it no longer sells.  There 23 Bib Fortunas at one of our local TRUs that refuses to mark them down and nobody went in and bought an OTC Madine to get the free Bib during that sale ::)

Crappy retailers + craptastic repackaged figures from a crap minded manufacturer = death.  Or crap, if I'm sticking to my theme. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 6, 2006, 04:23 PM »
Many good points made.  The overwhelming amount of product the last couple years has caused me to resent what is being produced, more specifically stuff from the prequels.  I'm just Cloned out.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: November 6, 2006, 04:44 PM »
I'm not losing interest, I've just seen my spending cut way way back over last year, more on par where it was with OTC.  Getting out of a carded/loose set before AOTC was a huge step and one I am so glad I made.  I've been able to pick and choose repacks/repaints/resculpts none of which really bother me. 

The repaints in the final 22 don't faze me, I am leaving the majority on the pegs...just getting the new clones and "new" figs (holo's and astromechs)

I can pass on crap like all of the GB stuff and still enjoy getting all new figures.  I still get excited by getting new stuff, the first wave of 2007 has a new Mace, SBD and Obi as well as the Clones and Lava Miner, I can't wait to get all of those.  I also can't wait to see if the 2007 list is accurate.  They have really done well with the line as far as figure likeness, articulation and accessories over the last few years.  Part of me hopes for an almost complete resculpt of POTF2 as they have been peppering in to the line and closing out some of my top 60.  There's enough here to keep me coming back.  The key element is letting go of completionism, to me at least