Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583330 times)

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebelscum Spam Mail? WTF???
« Reply #1545 on: April 11, 2005, 11:54 AM »
Looks like all of the threads asking all those questions were just deleted and the final terms of the deal are:  Accept our spam as is or get the hell out - and don't bother asking questions, they won't be answered.

Yep, pretty much sums it up. Can anyone tell wether or not a site can enforce spam upon you as the only means to use that site/forum?

Sounds pretty absurd to me.

Also, how come that in all those years, you never ever got any of those spam-mails? Doesn't seem like RS needs them than, does it.

Anyway, I just don't care anymore.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 11, 2005, 12:04 PM »
It's his site, he can do whatever he wants with it - even if that means running it into the ground by alienating all of the best members.  He's still left with tons of little kids to cash in on with junk email.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 11, 2005, 12:05 PM »
No spam for me, not on the first one, not on the second round either.  Odd?  Probably not, I think I blocked RS based emails a long time ago.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1548 on: April 11, 2005, 12:24 PM »
I never got one or two either Morg, so I dunno what the deal may be there...  And I'm actually one who wouldn't have been terribly bothered by it either, actually, but I am more towards the opinion others are sharing at simply getting no respect over yonder.

The real problem boiled down to the poor handling of the situation between site and members.  A total lack of respect for the people that make advertising even a viable option, and that's just bad form.  It is what it is though, and it apparantly won't change either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 11, 2005, 12:46 PM »
No spam for me, not on the first one, not on the second round either.  Odd?  Probably not, I think I blocked RS based emails a long time ago.

You see, here's a guy who's done the best possible and easiest thing in the world to avoid any conflict.

That's what I don't get. I know for some people it's a matter of principal, and for others like NBZ, it was a legal issue with work, but if you don't want the e-mail, just block it, it can't be any easier. RS can't ban you for blocking it, they won't even know.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 11, 2005, 12:54 PM »
The legal issue with work was one thing.  I wasn't riled up over the whole thing until Phillip started basically flipping all of his members the bird and refusing the acknowledge questions and so on.

Offline Rod

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 11, 2005, 01:06 PM »
I also got the spam again...interesting thing is it came from a different e-mail...."chris@rebelscum" I think...can't remember.

I also e-mailed the opt out e-mail to be taken off their list and was told that it is part of the agreement and I coul dbe "voluntarily" banned to avoid any further e-mails.

I sent a nice response (seriously, not being sarcastic) stating my opiniona nd was replied with a civil e-mail explaining this has always been in the "user agreement" or whatever you call it. 

Oh, well...it' don't bother me that much...it's just the principle of it...and now the fact that you can't even opt out of it...that is not cool.

Oh, and for those of you keeping score ;), Yes...our favorite troll (whatever the heck that truly means) does lurk here frequently......after my initial post asking about his site, I got a nice e-mail being all tough and mean....it was hillarious....I tried to have a civil conversation with him about our differences (an offer I extend to anybody having a problem with me...no matter what has gone between us in the past) but stated if he got childish the conversation was over......needless to say, after his reply to my reply I let the issue drop.  It was just his usual childish "I am better than you" response.  Gotta admit, it is quite entertaining....LOL

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 11, 2005, 01:21 PM »
I received both emails. And proceed to put both on my spam blocker. I dont frequent RS as much as I use to anyway so if I get "banned" I guess its for the best.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: April 11, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Well, al least the banning issue was propperly addressed by the new Spam notce that relpaced the banning discussion thread. ::)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1554 on: April 11, 2005, 01:36 PM »
More spam.  More feedback thread deletions.  More "Get a life and move along.  I don't give a rat's ass what you think" attitude...

You'd think that after all the bull**** over the last week that Philip would lay low for a while, or try to make some amends with his members, but alas...  Status quo there still.  Just bizarre.  Anything notable happen in that feedback thread at RS before it got summarily deleted again?  I wasn't around this weekend, so I missed out on any potentially exciting updates there.

A actually didn't get the e-mail this time though, so at least it looks like they've removed the deleted/banned members from their spam list, so I guess that's a plus (and a surprise).

I also got the spam again...interesting thing is it came from a different e-Oh, and for those of you keeping score ;), Yes...our favorite troll (whatever the heck that truly means) does lurk here frequently......after my initial post asking about his site, I got a nice e-mail being all tough and mean....it was hillarious....I tried to have a civil conversation with him about our differences (an offer I extend to anybody having a problem with me...no matter what has gone between us in the past) but stated if he got childish the conversation was over......needless to say, after his reply to my reply I let the issue drop.  It was just his usual childish "I am better than you" response.  Gotta admit, it is quite entertaining....LOL

Entertaining indeed, but after a while, they become so freaking repetitive and predictable that they just get boring and annoying.  So I stopped reading Jimbo's flood of PMs to me over there late last year.  There were at least 5 of them still unread in my PM box there at the time of my "dismissal".  I just hope that Jimmy_ was smart enough to click the "Get Read Receipt" button, to see that I stopped reading his psychobabble there.  Troll indeed, but he's apparently Philip's best friend now (which is rather fitting, and telling), so what are you gonna do...?   ::)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 01:37 PM by JediMAC »

Offline TPU Pete

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 11, 2005, 01:45 PM »
This has been an interesting read, nice to see a site like JD allow such an open discussion... well done Chris and staff for being bigger than those we are discussing.

I got the spam mail 3 times, using my former forum email address, as well as my former listserv address and another one I can't think how he got. I wasn't happy... I live in teh UK and it was totally irrelivent to me. I also was banned long ago... and interestingly enough for pointing out that site admin Jeremy was using the forums to sell pirate DVD's of the Clone Wars etc that he makes... this is against the forum rules and the law. I was banned for pointing that out... go figure. Jeremy wasn't banned. I was previously banned because I run a site that Jeremy feels is a rival and can't be mentioned on RS... TPU that is. I was told off for having the link in my signature, and even more so when I mentioned the site in my posts... it was agains the rules, never found the rules where it said that, but that was what I was told. So to have 3 emails from Philip wasn't welcome...

I don't go to RS forums that much, but I understand some got banned for objecting... jeremy said that Philip turns a death ear to complaints, and not just mine. I think that we should spend more time supporting the small sites to make them bigger and not keep putting more money into Philips bulging pockets... he doesn't care about those who visit, so don't care about him. JD, and other smaller sites do care when you drop in, and be part of the forums, send news in, help out in some way... and I think they need your support more.

I got 3 more spams... you wuld have thought Philip had learnt that wasn't positive... but hey does he care, no of course not, he's being paid by TRU! Money will be more important that visitors... Just remember when SW is no longer a major seller for any company, RS will drop it like a stone... have you noticed more and more non SW ad banners and mentions of non SW toys? It's coming...

More power to JD and other moral SW sites really run by fans!

Pete
http://www.theprivateuniverse.co.uk

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #1556 on: April 11, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Anything notable happen in that feedback thread at RS before it got summarily deleted again

Matt Fury posted a goodbye thread, and while some of us expressed our regret, some of the newbies went on the attack about him being childish.  I got into a heated argument with a couple of them.

The feedback thread got out of control too.  I tried to plead with the mods and admins that they were going to lose the better members, keeping only the kids and post-padders, and tried to explain the issue was more about not respecting their membership than the actual email, but Phillip in his wisdom, deleted all of it.

Oh well, that's in the past, and new horizons are to be looked at here. :)

Ian
Moderator - www.thebothanspy.com
Former Admin - www.snowtroopers.ca

Offline Blue_Harvester

• Jedi Initiate
  • Great Googly-Moogly
    • View Profile
SCUM + SPAM = SCAM
« Reply #1557 on: April 11, 2005, 01:57 PM »
I dont use any email notification of posts/replies/PMs anyway. 

For me, I think the solution is for me to just go to yahoo, and
set up a new account named

SCUMYSPAMYSCAMEE@hotmail

And just feed this back to Philip as my new email address. 

He can go to town after that!   I have the same problem as the
other guy... I cant receive this kind of email to my business address.
Problem solved !

Han shot FIRST. Luke threw TWICE. And it was THX-1138 who wasn't at his post on the big screen back in '77. And I first learned that Vader was Luke's dad in the cinemas at the Tampa Bay Mall in 1980.

Offline Pee Wee Herman

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 11, 2005, 02:02 PM »

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 11, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Ian's here now! Good to see you here, you were one of the few intelligent posters left at 'Scum that hadn't abandoned ship yet.