Author Topic: Entertainment Weekly's 100 Greatest List  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Entertainment Weekly's 100 Greatest List
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Although I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly is full of their "100 Greatest" lists (Movies, TV Shows, Albums, Books).  I was looking through the movie "rankings" and was a little surprised at how far Star Wars had fallen in the eyes of the media.  Of course, this is just one particular list, and many others could be (and are) completely different.  But the only SW mention is the Empire Strikes Back, ranking in at number 53.  Other movies of note for our crowd:

Toy Story (22)
LOTR: Return of the King (43)
E.T. (62)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (78)
Blade Runner (81)
The Dark Knight (88)

It has been awhile since I looked through it, but I thought the original Star Wars ranked in the top 10 of AFI's Top 100, or at least near there.  Again, there are so many lists like this, so it doesn't necessarily matter in the grand scheme, just a little surprising that SW was so far down the list of all time (considering some that were listed before it too).  Haven't looked at the other lists yet.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Entertainment Weekly's 100 Greatest List
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:17 PM »
I'm a regular EW subscriber and their "rankings" are always crap.  They often publish write-ins the following week from readers and those letters always point out things that clearly should have been included.  I think they have crazy lists just to get people talking about it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Entertainment Weekly's 100 Greatest List
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:21 PM »
Why Return of the King? I think the glowing green Slimer ghost army took me out of the film for a bit, and that partly makes it the least of the trilogy to me.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is the only good Indiana Jones movie, the only one at least that could be called a classic.

ESB is a better made film that Star Wars, but Star Wars was a phenomenon and the only SW film that works as a stand alone movie.

But what the hell do I care what Entertainment Weakly thinks?  Yeah, they want attention like a blog printed on paper or something. What do they call those?  :P