Author Topic: Disney Galactic Starcruiser Experience  (Read 989 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Disney Galactic Starcruiser Experience
« on: June 28, 2022, 03:26 PM »
Has anyone gone to this or read helpful reviews?  I'm looking for some insight but don't want in depth, blow-by-blow accounts of what happens there as I still would like there to be surprises if I choose to go (Rebelscum's review seems too in depth).

I'm thinking of taking the family but want to get a better understanding of how cool this is for $6500+ for a family of five.

Interesting to see that you can book this only two months out.  I wonder if the pricing is a bit on the high side for what you get.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:27 PM by Dave »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Disney Galactic Starcruiser Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 05:32 PM »
Has anyone gone to this or read helpful reviews?

I've tried to steer clear of the spoiler reviews that breakdown the stories, but this one is pretty good for the most part - Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser Review

The gist of the reviews I've seen feel like it's expensive for what you get but if you are willing to dive into the story, you will have a blast.  The crowds are a hassle for the SWGE park part of the trip, but it sounds like the hotel/ship part is tons of fun.  But again, you have to be willing to play along with the story and realize you are paying for being in a 'live action' Star Wars story and not just a hotel. 

We briefly considered the starcruiser trip for our family summer vacation this year, but with a family of 6, we'd need two standard cabins or a Grand Captain suite.  Needless to say my wife had zero interest in dropping $10k plus airfare on a 3-day, 2-night trip with a bunch of SW dorks.  It was hard to argue with her when she pointed out the 6 of us could spend a week cruising the Mediterranean Sea for that price.  :-\ 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 05:49 PM »
I've read some reviews, but haven't gone personally, but I think one of the main detractors is that there are no windows, so you are pretty much in a "bunker".  So, if you are one who likes to open the shades and breathe fresh air, then that's not an option.  Also, as Jeff was mentioning about the story aspect.  I heard the story's really interactive and that you could spend a lot of time in the hotel involved with it that you don't get out to the parks and do rides. 

Again, these are just a couple concerns I read about, and it all comes down to the kind of person you are/vacation you want: do you prefer to go outside and ride/see the attractions, or do you want to complete the mission (if that's what it is)?

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Needless to say my wife had zero interest in dropping $10k plus airfare on a 3-day, 2-night trip with a bunch of SW dorks.  It was hard to argue with her when she pointed out the 6 of us could spend a week cruising the Mediterranean Sea for that price.  :-\

That's funny as that is the straw-man alternative (Greek isles cruise) we're considering as well.  My wife and I would rather go to Greece, but our kids have no interest and would much rather go to the Star Wars dork fest.  Bless her heart my wife is game to tag along if that is what the kids and I decide to do.  I guess Greece will always be there when the kids are older and might appreciate it more.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:03 AM by Dave »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 09:46 AM »
I've read some reviews, but haven't gone personally, but I think one of the main detractors is that there are no windows, so you are pretty much in a "bunker".  So, if you are one who likes to open the shades and breathe fresh air, then that's not an option.  Also, as Jeff was mentioning about the story aspect.  I heard the story's really interactive and that you could spend a lot of time in the hotel involved with it that you don't get out to the parks and do rides. 

Again, these are just a couple concerns I read about, and it all comes down to the kind of person you are/vacation you want: do you prefer to go outside and ride/see the attractions, or do you want to complete the mission (if that's what it is)?

I've seen some video from inside the Galactic Starcruiser, and that's fairly accurate.  There's one room that's set up as an open air garden.  The cast tells the guests that it's designed to "replicate the weather of our destination planet" or something like that.  And that's the only outdoor space they have.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2022, 09:07 AM »
I've seen a lot of positive reviews, a few negative...mostly the complaints are about the cost.  I don't know if I'll ever go to it, not because I don't think the idea is cool...I'm just not sure I have the energy to LARP for that long.

The exclusive Legacy lightsaber is pretty cool though.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 04:45 PM »
I was toying with the idea of booking a room for an upcoming milestone birthday next year... guess I don't have to save up for that anymore -

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser experience closing this fall at Walt Disney World Resort

I guess I never realized that it only had 100 rooms - makes sense that it had to be small for crowd control - no wonder it was so expensive if there were only like maybe 500 people max on each weekend.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 04:47 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 04:57 PM »
Well that sucks.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 06:02 PM »
I was still tempted to go at some point, but the price and duration is tough.   Two full days seems a little long. 

I guess others felt the same way about the value if they’re closing so soon.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 06:18 PM »
Oooff. Well that’s too bad for those that wanted to go. It’s not a great look that they hyped this up so much and shuttered it so quickly.

I personally had a lot of interest in going when it was back when it was very first announced, but then after seeing their reveal trailer and the price I really lost all interest. The hotel all look to generic and seemed to lack a “Star Wars feel” from the images I saw. It didn’t seem like it would be anywhere near worth it for that price.
"This is the way."