Author Topic: Heroes on NBC  (Read 39614 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes on NBC
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2009, 12:04 PM »
Ha ha...I see I am not alone with some of my criticisms of the show.

I agree fully e, the storytelling is weak and they really need to move past Sylar. They painted themselves into a corner with that character, much like Lost did with Ben. Have a casting plan and stick to it. Book a guy for an arc, kill him and move on.

I was watching the clock by the second hour last night too, but that's probably because I'm unaccustomed to sitting in front of the TV that long.

I kept wondering "What happened to Mohinder?" - I really cannot recall. I bought the last season on DVD but couldn't bring myself to watch them again because last season was just so terrible.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2009, 12:59 PM »
I'm pretty much on board with what the rest of you have been saying.  I really enjoyed the first season, and have enjoyed it less so each season after that.  Last year I sort of watched it on and off, usually just catching up on the DVR and fast forwarding through nearly half of each episode it seemed.  I watched last night's premiere to give it a chance, but I'm not sure if I'll continue or not.  I didn't hate the episode, it just seems like I can't get into it that much anymore.  Not to compare the two, but it isn't anything like a show like LOST is for me, where I can't wait for each new episode.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2009, 01:35 PM »
What a forgettable snoozefest last night was...ugh. Did ANYTHING happen?

Can't you guys do a little more with Darth Maul than a frigging Sprint commercial?

Since when  is synthesia a super power? (The lamest one ever I might add)

Well, on the plus side, it was great to see  Louise Fletcher again. She adds instead acting cred, even in a bit part.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Damn, I missed last night's episode because it got pre-empted for a gubernatorial debate. (!) The re-airing is 3am tonight/tomorrow...sigh.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Damn, I missed last night's episode because it got pre-empted for a gubernatorial debate. (!) The re-airing is 3am tonight/tomorrow...sigh.

I think you can usually catch these pretty quickly on NBC.com or Youtube.  They also have great mini-page recaps of last season (I had to review the major plot points from Season 3 to get caught back up this year).

I have to say, I'm not overly impressed with the plot points so far.  Take any given character and they've just gone through radical changes over just 3 seasons.

- Mohinder is the science guy, then gets powers that turn him into a monster, now has Spidermanlike agility, no side effects and where the heck has he gone?
- Peter has an awesome ability to collect powers, blows up, has amnesia, meets a girl (and she went where?), future self tries to kill his brother, he loses his powers, powers come back, but seems like he only keeps the latest power he steals now (?), totally alienates himself from his family to play full-time EMT...he's become pretty one-dimensional. Oh, and Ando has powers now too.  What?
- Nathan goes from reluctant guy with Power to "I'm gonna tell the world about people with powers" to I'm going to work for the government to capture and "cure" people with powers?  What?  Then dead, replaced by Sylar?  Just goofy/dumb.
- Sylar goes from massive baddy to confused good guy to Nathan/Peters sibling.  He actually gets somewhat likeable and gets a girlfriend, but out of no where he kills her off and is a bad guy again.  Then he gets mind-wiped to become the new Peter, but he's ALSO stuck in Matt's head.  Lame.
- Hiro goes from funky fun master of time & space to stuck in the past forever to losing his power and stuck in the past again, then rescued and recharged, but his power is killing him.  Seriously - is there any character they haven't totally mucked up?

The premise in the first season was cool - these people have powers and what should the do with them.  Instead of trying to copy the X-men with a virus and government persecution, they should have focused on introducing new baddies and how the various heroes need to accept their powers and work together to stop them.  Why haven't ANY of these heroes decided to stay together? If I had weird super powers and knew about other dudes with powers and we used those powers to save a bunch of people, I think I might suggest at least a monthly get-together for brews or something to stay in touch. 

I will, of course, stay on to the bitter end because I am compelled to see what happens next and love the idea of any kind of super-hero show, but I'm pretty dissapointed overall.  Here's hoping they come up with something brilliant with the carnies - I'm not going to hold my breath though.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2009, 09:44 PM »
There's been a really jarring break between the first three episodes this season and the next.  I read they changed the writers, and it seems like the new writers didn't like where the first writers were going.  It seemed like it was building up to a struggle between Sylar and Nathan in Nathan's body, with Matt trying to recreate Sylar.  But the new guys didn't like that so they killed Nathan so Sylar could come back without his memories.  Is Sylar both in his original body and in Matt's head now?  Are there two Sylars?  Or maybe he'll just vanish out of Matt's mind after he remembers who he is.  Very disappointing, IMO.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj