Author Topic: #45 Governer Tarkin  (Read 4710 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
#45 Governer Tarkin
« on: December 8, 2005, 07:31 PM »
I was pretty pysched to hear about a new Tarkin in the ROTS line, and even moreso to hear about his cameo in ROTS. I've been looking for this bad boy since april, and just a few days ago I found my bounty.

Sculpt:5/5
I love the sculpt on the good grand moff, it's very detailed and accurate. In ROTS Tarkin's officer uniform was, as far as I could tell, identical to his ANH uniform and all of the other Imperial Officer's dress tunics in the OT. The boots on this figure are wrong, in ROTS his boots are the same as in the OT, smooth. But on the figure they look more like combat boots. As cool as that is, I would've preffered film accurate boots. I believe Tarkin was played by Wayne Pygram in ROTS, and they nailed his likeness.

Articulation:4/5
Tarkin sports 10 points of articulation, pretty decent. I personally feel he could've used a couple more points, since with a simple customizing job, he could've been a generic OT officer.

Paint:5/5
They did a good paintjob on Tarkin, especially on the rank insignia. The rank insignia always seemed like a hard piece for the Big H to paint, but they executed it very well here.

Accesories:3/5
Tarkin includes an Imperial DC-15 rifle and a base. I think the good gov'nah could've used more accesories, such as the DS holo from the SAGA Sep Leaders Cinema Scene, a datapad like Shaak Ti's, a comlink and computer like Lobot, or even the little baton thing from Mon Mothma.

Army Builder Potential:5/5
With a simple headswap, Tarkin could be reborn as a generic Imperial Officer fairly easily. Not that i'm into customizing, but just a heads up for the customizers out there.

Overall:5/5
Tarkin was one of my most sought-after figures in the ROTS line, and he doesn't dissapoint. I vote him the single hardest figure in the ROTS line to find. Hes showing up in newer case assortments, so if you find him get 'im, hes a great addition to your Imperial Forces.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2005, 07:31 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: #45 Governer Tarkin
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2005, 10:06 AM »
Very nice review Hunter. And yes, Tarkin was played by Wayne Pygram. Perfect casting and if he would have been give lines, I think people would have been shaking at how scary the performance would have been.

I might give a lower score for the armybuilding (though I did buy an extra for head swapping,) but other than that, I agree totally.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 03:27 AM »
It can be a good army builder, but only if you're into the idea of pre-Civil War Imperials...  Late Clone Wars sentient Officers and stuff. 

And I dug the figure really...  I was a little bummed that Tarkin, like other Col.2 figures around his time, started to get a cutback on articulation.  For my $5+ I would have liked some knee joints.  Just ball/socket knees even though he does nothing in the movie to warrant them really.  To me it's a cutback I hate seeing because it'd definitely make that figure much more interesting...  No huge deal either for knees at this point.  Really should be a growing standard for figures who can use them...  Tills and Aak I understand.

I thought Hasbro could have accessorized him a little better too.  Re-use the mini-Death Star holo from the screen scene perhaps, and I think a pistol (Bo Sheks, or the original Tarkin figures pistol) were in order.  I like the figure though, it's cool to me, and nice to see Tarkin out there again.  We could use a new ANH one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:51 PM »
The ROTS action figure of Tarkin looks awesome but younger.  I never thought we would ever be lead back to before A New Hope, cause it was like we heading to lightspeed and the going back to 1977, where it all began.  However, when I saw Revenge of the Sith, I was amazed that we saw Grand Moff Tarkin (He's on the imperial stardestroyer towards the end of the movie with Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine watching the construction of the first Death Star) , or should I say the imperial officer whose "foul stench" Leia recognized when she was brought on the Death Star.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 12:53 PM by 77Skywalker »

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2006, 05:42 PM »
this figure is awesome and the best part was thaT i waited and got mena tills with him for 8.99. even though tills is kinda strange compared to ackbar, Tarkin rules. i really wish they wern't repainting this guy.

Offline Kooshmeister

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 06:01 AM »
More than any other figure in the ROTS figure line, this is the one I wanted the most. I love Imperial officers and Tarkin was always one of my favorites, so when I heard he was not only going to be in the movie but also get an action figure, I was thrilled to death at the prospect of getting to see Tarkin as a young man and have him immortalized in plastic. And although his role in the film disappointed me, the figure did not (when I finally got it, that is; what was with Tarkin being so difficult to find???).

Also, as much as I love this figure, I hate the fact they're being lazy and reusing this sculpt for two other Tarkin figures and just repainting him. Sorry, Hasbro, but this is a sculpt of Tarkin 20 years younger than he was in Star Wars. Slapping grey paint on his hair just makes him look prematurely grey.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 06:02 AM by Kooshmeister »

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:53 PM »
refering to the comic pack version i dont understand one thing. why is he green. i dont even remember him being green in the comic :S
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:09 PM »
I like the green Tarkin. He may not be the best to put in the non-comic Imperial army, but I find him very interesting.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!