Author Topic: 2008 Rumors and Speculation  (Read 58314 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Rumors!
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2007, 11:27 PM »
I think unproduced OT figs in the vintage line is the only way to go.  It's the only way to make it 'special.'  $10 for the same quality fig as in the basic line is unjustified, and if we got Tarkin, Wedge, Slave Leia etc. on vintage cards it would make for a substantial reason to collect them carded.  Otherwise, I'd like to see the whole thing go away. 

I still think they should stick to what's vintage can be vintage again - but if they have to step outside of that, I might be able to convince myself that this was okay.

Prequel characters, under no circumstance.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2007, 11:49 PM »
I'd be fine if they stopped the whole vintage line altogether after another wave or two.  Really all I can think of as figures that I truly want to see done in this style are the following -

- ROTJ Luke
- Gamorrean Guard
- Emperor
- Royal Guard
- Death Squad Trooper
- Jawa

Maybe a couple others, but I'm pretty tired of spending $10-$12 for good versions of figures.  They can do them in the basic line for about half the price.  I would love to see a special Jabba the Hutt done though that's reminiscent of the vintage setup with his dais.

Regarding prequel figures in this style... I'd rather them not.  Not for any purist ideals, but for the price they would be at retail. 

:P

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2007, 12:22 AM »
I don't know, when I see something like this, I just feel like everything is tied together in one big idea, as opposed to the OT vs. PT thing...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:23 AM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2007, 01:19 AM »
Why not just re-adopt the OTC-style cardbacks for the 2008 line? That way, we can forget about the silly VOTC line (I've never taken to calling it VTSC, VTAC, etc). The clamshell is a waste of resources, and the $10-12 pricepoint is hard to conscience for figures which really aren't any different than those available in basic.

So, yeah. VOTC really isn't as viable or attractive as it once was, for me at least. Did we need Bossk? Do we need an Ugnaught? Do we need Jango Fett? Yes- but they should've/should be in the basic line.

(Quietly acknowledges the fact that, sure enough, we may well be facing a $10-12 pricepoint in the not-so-distant future for basic figures... quality downgrades notwithstanding)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2007, 03:13 AM »
Well, for that matter - I do love vintage style packaging and seeing prequel characters in that does look awesome - so why not just make a line of all 6 films, that have vintage style packaging but no clam shells and are around $5-$7 each?  Some bubbles would obviously be larger than others for bigger characters, but it might work out just fine?

If basic figures hit $10 or so, that's just too high.  It could happen down the road, but for over 10 years they've stayed relatively the same price, so I don't see that big of a price hike anytime soon... especially not with how VTAC is sitting in my neck of the woods and from most reports I hear.

:P

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2007, 07:00 AM »
I don't know, when I see something like this, I just feel like everything is tied together in one big idea, as opposed to the OT vs. PT thing...

OK, now that i see it. It really just doesnt look right. I am actually surprised how much it doesnt look right. If the vintage line continues i think the only thing i will go for is original characters that should have been made like Yarna, Tarkin, Slave Leia...on the vintage cards.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2007, 09:33 AM »

I, on the other hand, feel violated. :P

Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2007, 10:02 AM »
I don't know how I feel about the prequel figures on "vintage" cardbacks either.  Like others have mentioned, I would rather they just create something similar to the OTC cardback - or maybe even a hybrid of the vintage and OTC cards.  Heck, I've ended up liking this year's basic figure cardbacks much more than I thought I would too.  I guess I prefer the character specific picture/artwork on the cardbacks instead of all the various inserts we used to get with the different figure lines.

As much as I like the VOTC/VTSC line (its the favorite part of my collection), I think I would be ok if it went away as well, if this is how things are going to go.  I wouldn't mind one more wave, covering figures like Jedi Luke, Bespin Han, and a handful of others.  Otherwise, it seems like Hasbro is capable of putting this type of quality into the basic line, and I'd just as soon they put it there.  Make a nice "Saga encompassing" type of cardback, incorporating the elements that most people seem to like so much from the OTC/Vintage/TAC lines, and just include everything on those.  We don't need to start paying $10 for all of our "good" figures, which is where things seem to be leading eventually.  Heck, aside from Target's price bump on the vintage stuff, the difference is really only $3 between basic and "Deluxe" pricepoints at this point.

Now that's not to say I won't keep buying the VTSC line if it continues, I will, but I think I'd be ok with another wave or two and then just having a nice, well rounded basic line.  Heck, if they have to cut back the number of total figures in a year to put more quality into each one released, that's ok with me.  Give us the vintage quality (which we often get in the basic line - especially recently), and slow down the figures a bit.  Back to the subject though, it doesn't seem quite right putting the prequel figures on "vintage" cards with a clamshell and charging $10 - like others have said, there's nothing "vintage" about a line that is 8 years old.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2007, 10:51 AM »
I agree that I don't like shelling out $3-5 extra on vintage figures that we could buy for the $7 range we are now. I mean, it's probably frustrating to those who bought the vintage Scout Trooper in droves last year to find it released later in the same year as the Kashyyyk scout, and then in the next rereleased in the Legends line for the basic figure price! So hasbro can't say that they have to price the vintage figures higher than the basics because they're more expensive to produce. I doubt the cards are worth the extra $3-5.

As for prequel "vintage", I find it hard to think of TPM as vintage like I can the OT. It's just too recent. But I like the idea of the scene-specific pictures on the cards... maybe not exactly like those from the OT, but something similar.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2007, 06:33 PM »

OK, now that i see it. It really just doesnt look right. I am actually surprised how much it doesnt look right. If the vintage line continues i think the only thing i will go for is original characters that should have been made like Yarna, Tarkin, Slave Leia...on the vintage cards.

My feelings exactly. I really just think good PT characters should be on basic figure cards and that this line (VOTC) is just meant for Kenner. However, I too would be fine with Yarna, Tarkin, Slave Leia, etc. on vintage cards.

But Nien Nunb, Yakface, Sim Aloo, and Admiral Ackbar first.  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2007, 12:49 PM »
maybe they could make new figures from ot on vintage cards
I suck.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2007, 04:05 PM »
But Nien Nunb, Yakface, Sim Aloo, and Admiral Ackbar first.  8)

My problem with Sim Aloo would be not fitting in with the 2 dignitaries that are already made. Besides, he's a minor character and really doesn't need to be SA... but yes, he looks evil on the card.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2007, 05:15 PM »
maybe they could make new figures from ot on vintage cards

HMMMM, you know that sounds like a good idea, ::) Except it has already happened :o VOTC VTSC and VTAC

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Here's a breakdown of everything Curto mentioned in his rumor report on the Forcecast:

GENERAL LINE NOTES
-30AC line look continues into 2008 without the coins, possibly to be replaced by figure stands
-Mid 2008 the line will change to Clone Wars

BASIC FIGURES
-Willrow Hood - Ice Cream Maker Guy - Probably 2009

-Lumat & Female Ewok with Wokling - Lumat listed in figure stands

-Grand Admiral Thrawn - Updated

-Commander Praji - Imperial Officer - A New Hope

-Wes Janson - Rogue Squadron Pilot - The Empire Strikes Back

-ARC Trooper Pilot - Clone Wars Gunship Pilot

-Senator Toonbuck Toora

-Rebel Fleet Trooper - Super articulated

DELUXE FIGURES
-Vader's Secret Apprentice - possible deluxe pack (already listed at toysrus.com)

COMIC 2-PACKS
-Both figures TBA - Star Wars Legacy Comic 2-pack (not including main characters)

-Tsui Choi & FIGURE TBA - Star Wars PURGE

-Janek "Tank" Sunber & FIGURE TBA - Comic 2-Pack

-Jabba the Hutt (aka Mosep) & FIGURE TBA (most likely Han Solo) - Marvel Comics adaptation

MULTI-PACKS
-Speeder bike set (possible battle pack with Biker Scouts with hovering effect)
-Cinema Scene - Death Star - possible 2009
-Cinema Scene - Cantina - possible 2009 (including tables/seats/bar parts/distillery)

VEHICLES
-Large vehicle(s) may be on the way
-B-Wing Starfighter - with human pilot

-AT-TE - Based on appearance in Clone Wars trailer (Hasbro hinting strongly)

-AT-ST (expanded cockpit to fit two pilots)

CREATURES
-Rancor (repack, possibly improved)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2007, 08:38 PM »
You think they could make an AT-ST with the windows open on one for a change. :-\ :P
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!