Author Topic: NBA Offseason 2007  (Read 24333 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Offseason 2007
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2007, 10:48 AM »
The Allen trade really reminds me of when Boston got Dennis Johnson, in that they're sort of the same.  Older, dependable on court and off, for the most part.  I think the point of the trade was to try and get someone experienced to help Pierce and now Jefferson.  It would be amazing if the Celtics could keep Jefferson and get Garnett, but no way will that happen. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2007, 07:56 PM »
Did Noah fall further than expected?  I thought he was being talked about as a top 5?

Maybe earlier in the college season, but not recently.

Atlanta's draft is interesting too.  I was expecting them to make moves prior to the draft but maybe the plan is afterwards.  Horford isn't that big a surprise pick really (at all?) but I hadn't heard of them having any interest in Law. 

If Atlanta didn't draft a point guard (and a really good one at that), the ten to twelve fans they have left would've lynched the front office.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 3, 2007, 04:40 PM »
Sounds like Rashard Lewis is heading to Orlando via free agency.  Not as big of a name as some of the ones tossed out there, but probably a pretty good pickup for the Magic, lining him up alongside Dwight Howard.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 3, 2007, 05:02 PM »
So much for the talk last week about trying to keep him around to play with a young stud.  Too bad, I think he deserved to be held onto.  Good news though for Orlando, nothing quite like having a 6'10" 3 point shooter to alleviate the inside pressure.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 6, 2007, 09:40 AM »
It sounds like Grant Hill is now on his way to Phoenix.  Although he's had the well known injury problems, I think he's a good pickup for the Suns.  Unselfish player who doesn't have to be "the man".  Heck, he doesn't even have to be the 2nd or 3rd option there.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 6, 2007, 05:23 PM »
i think Hill is a heck of a pick up for phoenix.  and, it seems like they got him for nothing.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2007, 10:00 AM »
It sounds like the KG to Boston deal might be heating up again.  I have to say, although they are all aging, a trio of Allen/Pierce/Garnett would definitely make the Celtics a Finals contender in the East - or at least it should.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2007, 12:46 PM »
I have to say, although they are all aging, a trio of Allen/Pierce/Garnett would definitely make the Celtics a Finals contender in the East - or at least it should.

With Al Jefferson going to Boston, this is their attempt to win it all right now.  For the Wolves, it's a good start in the rebuilding process.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:49 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2007, 11:03 PM »
With Al Jefferson going to Boston, this is their attempt to win it all right now. 

Al Jefferson is already in Boston.
 ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2007, 12:58 AM »
Apparently not anymore for Mr. Jefferson (and more):

To Celtics:
Kevin Garnett

To Tpups:
Al Jefferson
Ryan Gomes
Gerald Green
Theo Ratliff
Sebastian Telfair
two future first-round NBA Draft picks

I think that's still slightly speculative in terms of a report, but I'd suggest that Minnesota came off pretty damn well.  Jeez, who's left in Beantown?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2007, 04:23 AM »
With Al Jefferson going to Boston, this is their attempt to win it all right now. 

Al Jefferson is already in Boston.
 ;)

Whoops!  Leaving Boston.  It just seems like they started the rebuilding, now mortgaged the future for a one time shot.  They should have made this deal 1-2 years ago.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Here's an article from ESPN discussing why this trade would be good for the Celtics.  I can kind of see that aspect of things, although it does seem like Boston is giving up a lot for one player - as much as I like Garnett.  Then again, outside of Jefferson, I don't know that many of those players are going to amount to too much.  I think Ainge was really under pressure to have a decent team again, and to put Boston back "on the map" in the NBA landscape - something that really hasn't happened since the Bird days.  This trade should certainly do that, if injuries/etc. aren't a problem.  It will be short lived, as all three are aging a bit, but it might bring about the type of popularity for the franchise where they could get other free agents there.  Who knows, maybe that won't make any difference.  Plus, Garnett seems like the type to me who could play for quite awhile yet - just with his dedication, few injuries, and training regimen.  Personally, I'd kind of like to see Boston be relevant again in the NBA - like the good ole days.  It will be interesting to see who they can put on the floor with these three though, there can't be too much left.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2007, 12:59 PM »
It just seems like they started the rebuilding, now mortgaged the future for a one time shot.  They should have made this deal 1-2 years ago.

Agreed ... but it's a shot that they should take.  Especially with how weak the Eastern Conference is.  Allen, Pierce, and Garnett are one hell of a core, even if you can only ride it for two or three years.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:59 PM by Neal »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2007, 03:00 PM »
Then again, outside of Jefferson, I don't know that many of those players are going to amount to too much.  I think Ainge was really under pressure to have a decent team again, and to put Boston back "on the map" in the NBA landscape - something that really hasn't happened since the Bird days. 

I agree about the other players.  Someone might come back to haunt you, a la Chauncey Billups, but those instances are pretty few and far between. 

I also agree about Ainge.  If he pulls this off, they're relevant for a couple of years in the East and might even make the finals, but boy oh boy has he mortgaged the future, trading away this year's #1 pick and a couple more down the road.  Left him self in a bit of a pickle for trying to rebuild 3-4 years down the road.  That's a head scratcher there.  I guess that Ainge might be thinking IF he can get Garnett there, others might follow as well?

Len Bias.   :'(  Since Len Bias died the Celtics have been bloody cursed and a laughing stock down the road. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2007, 03:09 PM »
According to ESPN's front page, the trade is official.  KG is now a Celtic.