Author Topic: More from TFU - Rumors/Speculation  (Read 56012 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Army Building - PT vs OT
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I consider it prequel stuff or EU, not OT.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: More from The Force Unleashed?
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 02:06 PM »
I do like it.  Why?  Because it's from a game that I can't wait to play.  If it were just a slapped on paint job that had no reference material, then I'd probably not like it so much, but the scheme is actually pretty slick in my opinion.

Now, I can also see why people hate it.  I totally see why some feel that think it's getting out of hand... the solution is pretty simple I think - don't buy it if you don't like it. 

Personally I'm more excited about Force Unleashed stuff than anything else right now - I have been since we first saw images of some of the figures.  And it's going to continue to take EU elements like this to keep the line going, otherwise it's going to get stale.

As for where it falls for me... I guess the more I think about it, I'd probably classify it as EU-OT. 

I'm hoping they just throw this in a Battle Pack of some sort - I'd like to see the Vader's apprentice in some sort of pose using a force push, with 4 different Stormies being thrown.  If that's how they market this, and it's right out of the game, then I think it's more than justified for them to make this.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 02:18 PM »
If I really get hooked on the game, I'd probably buy them.

But I'll likely pass on these.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 02:50 PM »
All I know is that I'm getting sick of these made up troopers.

You said it!

The current Target Arc BP troopers, AT_RT BP troopers, Mando clones, Orange Circle clones are total over the top piles of feces. I even passed on the Combat Engineer at the end of Saga2. It's getting easier to overlook made up clones. While the geared up TFU Stormtroopers look very cool & realistic (in star wars terms) this is just too stupid for words. Unless this comes in a BP with a very cool character you cannot get elsewhere I will surely pass.

I wish they would repaint figures we want like the Dagaobah spirit Obi, IG-88 in White, Protocol droids, ROTS BD with color markings, ewoks or better yet re-release Tie Pilots with DSG body & Fell helmets as Chewie has done, it looks superb! We need to replace the ancient pilot that comes with the Target bomber.

Next up: Shadow Snowtrooper
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 03:25 PM »
I have a feeling that we are going to see a new wave of repainted stormtroopers in the customizing area of our hobby.  :-\
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Dear Hasbro,

Keep your PT out of my OT....

PM

To answer Chewie's initial Question...these are EU-PT they have just bastardized OT stuff to do it.

I guess I am pseudo-hypocritical on this though, if it happened in the Marvel Comics, I'd be more ok with it.  (all black Stormtroopers are kinda neat) But this need to revise the History of the OT to make IT fit the PT is really just one more thing that makes me less interested in Star Wars as the years go on.  Each time they do it, they dimish the 30 years of enjoyment I've gotten since I first saw the movies.  Kinda like Boba Fett, he was Cool right up till the point he had a back story and he went from luke warm to lame when EPII came out..

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 03:39 PM »
All I know is that I'm getting sick of these made up troopers.
Next up: Shadow Snowtrooper

What exactly does a shadow snowtrooper look like? I guess he doesn't blend in with the snow very well. Maybe he hides in snowdrifts along side of highways?

Personally, I want to to see the yellow snowtrooper.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:40 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline RC-0379 Marev

• Youngling
  • "Execute Order 66."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I agree with Chewie here. I think this trooper looks sharp, and personally, I dig the legion markings on the clones and welcome unit decos on the stormtroopers too. I think the standard white-hat is boring. Their armor looks dated compared to the clone armor designs, almost like Palpatine bought his stormtroopers their armor at the dirtmall on liquidation.

The OT was great when I was a kid, and it's ok now, but the prequels and the EU properties brought new life to a galaxy far, far away for me. I think the weight Lucas is putting behind the force unleashed combined with the animation and live action tv properties are going to make the Star Wars universe even more viable. So yeah, bring on the colored stormies, variant legions, and whatever else.
:::END TRANSMISSION:::

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 04:07 PM »
This **** does more than just keep the lights on.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 04:13 PM »
What exactly does a shadow snowtrooper look like? I guess he doesn't blend in with the snow very well. Maybe he hides in snowdrifts along side of highways?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 04:20 PM »
I agree with Chewie here. I think this trooper looks sharp, and personally, I dig the legion markings on the clones and welcome unit decos on the stormtroopers too. I think the standard white-hat is boring. Their armor looks dated compared to the clone armor designs, almost like Palpatine bought his stormtroopers their armor at the dirtmall on liquidation.

The OT was great when I was a kid, and it's ok now, but the prequels and the EU properties brought new life to a galaxy far, far away for me. I think the weight Lucas is putting behind the force unleashed combined with the animation and live action tv properties are going to make the Star Wars universe even more viable. So yeah, bring on the colored stormies, variant legions, and whatever else.

Thanks, glad you see it that way... while I do still prefer my Stormies to be pure white, I have no problem with this expansion.  There's about a 20 year gap between ROTS and ANH.  How could there not be another transition in the appearance of Imperial troops between ROTS and ANH? 

I understand that some people don't want to accept change in Star Wars and want everything to be what it was back in the day, but this isn't changing the OT at all.  It's only covering a new era in Star Wars that has had limited exploration.  And remember there are new fans coming into this hobby all the time - if you want to be set in your ways and only care about the OT, then that's your right.  But that would lead to a quicker end to the line.

Personally, I don't want to see the line ending anytime soon - I want my son to experience some of the same magic with Star Wars that I did - the OT was marketed towards me when I was a kid, and the EU and whatever Lucas has in mind can be marketed towards his generation.  That means new characters, new worlds, and new ideas.  Not stuck in the 1970s.

As for Shadow Troops, I'm in the same boat as most others - I don't care for those.  I was shocked to see how good they did in fan polls - but I'll just pass on them when they are on the pegs.  This Force Unleashed stuff though has me very excited.  Bring it on... I'll probably add black pauldrons and rifles to a few of these guys... I wonder how many people that are dissing this figure now will end up getting it later on?  Or if a long lost Ralph McQuarrie painting of a Stormie with stripes surfaced, how many people would still be complaining?   ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:21 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 04:23 PM »

No problem!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 04:24 PM »

Dude, I was kidding!!!  :o

Really cool custom though.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26 PM »

No problem!

EEK!!! Don't eat the yellow snow, trooper!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 04:27 PM »
But this need to revise the History of the OT to make IT fit the PT is really just one more thing that makes me less interested in Star Wars as the years go on.  Each time they do it, they dimish the 30 years of enjoyment I've gotten since I first saw the movies.  Kinda like Boba Fett, he was Cool right up till the point he had a back story and he went from luke warm to lame when EPII came out..

Amen.  

I don't like it.  I'm really not very much into PT, though I can't seem to stop myself from buying the figures admittedly.  I'm not anti-EU though either.  But I am OT cannon, so I cannot really abide by this.  Mess around all you want with ROTS troopers, the movie was nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell toys anyway.  But painting stormtroopers in the skittle/rainbow/carebear color schemes is going to do nothing but help me stop spending money.  I'm already at a tenuous point on this crap, having gone from carded to loose; completeist to selective; army building to maybe 5 of each.  Ted Turner-ing the OT is just going to piss me off even more.  Revisionist history, as Paul said, isn't in the best interest of continuing this line.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.