Author Topic: G.I. Joe - The Movie (Live Action)  (Read 45185 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe - The Movie (Live Action)
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2009, 11:05 AM »
heheh....between the bad label and the weird random accessories, that looks like a cheap russian bootleg.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2009, 11:44 AM »

Who knows, I can't even find Fraser listed on the cast list at IMDB.

That's because it was an uncredited cameo.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Ever since I saw the first trailers, I was thinking that this movie might not be bad at all.  Of course trailers are meant to make a film look as good as possible, so I was still skeptical.  And I all read online was fanboys complaining, complaining, complaining (about the previews and the designs of the toys, etc.).

Then the toys hit, and people started calming down it seemed, at least the toys were cool.  Still a lot of complaining about the look of the movie, but there were fewer riots in the streets.

Now I am hearing from virtually everyone who saw the movie that it was either a lot better than they thought it would be, or they loved it.  That's such awesome news, because I really am excited about going to see it.  I am going tomorrow night with my wife and another couple (only my second movie in the theatres since Indy 4!) and I can't wait. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2009, 12:29 PM »
We got a chance to see this over the weekend, and I have to say - I really enjoyed it too.  My wife was surprised with how much she enjoyed it as well.  Sure there are some things that could have been done differently, and they made some changes to the "Joe we know" - but I guess I sort of expect that with live action adaptations.  It isn't going to win any Oscars or anything of course, but for an entertaining summer popcorn movie, I liked it.  I hope we see a sequel or two as well.  Even with the differences from the comic/cartoon, it did remind me of how much I liked Joe as a kid.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2009, 12:32 PM »
I am far from picky when it comes to movies, but I expected this one to be pretty bad.  All in all though, I absolutely loved it.  There were enough hokey lines to make me roll my eyes a couple of times, but some of the characters were downright fantastic (Baroness, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow).  Duke and Ripcord probably could have been played a little differently, but their performances were respectable.  When all was said and done, I geeked out on this movie as much as I did the first Transformers.  Loads of fun and a few nods back to my childhood.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2009, 06:43 PM »
Ok, for you guys who saw it and have kids (or better yet kids that saw it).... My 8 year old really wants to see this movie.  I have not seen it yet and will probably only get 1 chance to see it.  She doesn't care about plot, acting or if it stomps all over the Joe mythos. (Although she does love the Cartoons).

Any thoughts?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2009, 06:56 PM »
DVD cover art

*yawn*

Yep.  I didn't even care for the movie poster art that much. 

Even now, looking back after having seen and liked the film, I don't think that anything was really done to make this movie feel like it was supposed to be good.  The trailers were ok but not great, the poster was blah, no screening for reviewers...  If the film succeeds, it's in spite of the marketing.  Oh, and I do like the toys as well.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 19, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Ok, for you guys who saw it and have kids (or better yet kids that saw it).... My 8 year old really wants to see this movie.  I have not seen it yet and will probably only get 1 chance to see it.  She doesn't care about plot, acting or if it stomps all over the Joe mythos. (Although she does love the Cartoons).

Any thoughts?

I took my nine year old daughter who also likes the cartoons, and she had a great time and wants to see it again.  It's PG-13 mostly for some scary make-up effects (CC), I think, and a few PG swear words.  But it is FAR more kid friendly when it comes to sex (chicks in tight leather, a little bit of kissing), language (pretty mild basic cable stuff), and violence (totally cartoony) than either of the Transformer movies.

I also took my five year old son, whom I have been corrupting with zombie and vampire movies since he was two, and he came out about as well adjusted as he went in.

Go for it.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2009, 01:45 PM »
I couldn't get in to Inglorious Basterds last night, so I went and saw GI Joe again.  I liked it better the second time.  I am a nerd.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2009, 04:56 PM »
We are going at 6pm tonight.  Looking forward to finally seeing it.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2009, 06:25 PM »
We are going at 6pm tonight.  Looking forward to finally seeing it.

Hope you enjoyed it Paul.   :)  It was what it was IMO - not positive or negative, but fun...I guess.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2009, 11:57 PM »
It was a good 2 hours of Joe related fun.

It was not the GI Joe that I know and love, but I have survived Joe:Reloaded, Devil's Due, Sigma Six and Cobra La, so this isn't going to derail my enjoyment of GI Joe.

In fact this Movie had more Marvel universe in it than people are giving it credit for...I mean Duke is the new Wolverine, he's brooding, in love with a woman he can't have, and rides a motorcycle to funerals that he doesn't attend, you can't get more Marvel Universe than that.

If I had any complaints about the "Continuity" it is that Duke is a Captain? (A major during the flashback scenes wonder what happened) and the disregard for protocol among the ranks. 

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2009, 05:02 PM »
The only part I can address is the protocol among the ranks.  Generally, when you end up in an SOF environment, a lot of the accepted protocol among the regular military goes down the tubes.  It's still there when it needs to be, but is on a much, much less formal level.  However, the Army Rangers are still very, very strict on discipline within their ranks.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 24, 2009, 05:30 PM »
I couldn't get in to Inglorious Basterds last night, so I went and saw GI Joe again.  I liked it better the second time.  I am a nerd.

I am hoping to see it again this weekend too.