Author Topic: Recent Purchases  (Read 94545 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Recent Purchases
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 06:31 PM »
I got the German car yesterday, and JJ, the first thing I did was replace the ridiculous gun with a SW MG (I think it was the one from 4-LOM) and it looks fantastic!

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd give him an extra of Dengar (v2) rifle if you happen to have it.  4-LOM's, at least IIRC, was an MG-42 which puts it out of the time-frame of Raiders.  Just a suggestion if you care about little details like that, DB.  Dengar's is an MG-34...  Which I'm not sure but I think he was to have an MG-42 and maybe 4-LOM was to have the 34 or both had 42's in the movie, but I do believe it was Dengar V2 who came with an MG-34... 

The CT Stormtrooper's gun is an MG-34 as well but it clearly blows.  It doesn't have any of the vents on it...  Not to mention it's as flimsy as piece of yarn.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2008, 09:49 PM »
How are you guys mounting the smaller (MG-42) guns on the troop car? Currently I just have a German (Ususally green shirt 'commando') wielding either an MP-40/Grease Gun w/ extended stock or a Sandtrooper Lewis Gun standing back there, which is more than satisfactory for me, but a mounted gun would be sweet.

Anyways, I picked up a couple of the Motorcycle Nazi("No bike for you!")figures at Wal-Mart today. Awesome figures. Awesome vehicles. Awesome guns. The pistols and MP-40s complement my other Germans very nicely.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 02:20 AM »
Picked up another Ugha Warrior and a Raiders Indy (stumbled on one with a good paint job on its head).

The Warrior is my third, I definitely want at least one more to put around the temple playset when it comes out.

I grabbed the Indy because I want a Raiders Indy that I can dedicate to displaying with the Cargo Truck - right now I have him hanging off of the grill. Looks pretty cool. They did a really great job with the Cargo Truck.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 02:47 AM »
I haven't mounted one totally yet.  I'm thinking I may fudge with some photos and go with a more accurate gun mount to what we see on film and remove the mount on it currently.  I hate the swaying floorboard anyway, so I'm likely going to do a full custom job on at least one...  Actually was gonna try making a functional convertible top for one at some point because it just looks possible if I can find some good fabric in that scale to match it.

Anyway, if I were to just do something quick/simple, I'd just get some epoxy (Devcon plastic welder at Wal-Mart, in a black tube would work) and glue a gun to the turret, and paint the glued on spot black to match.  That'd be the quick/simple way to get it on there without going nutty with it. 

As I noted above on the guns, I'm an accuracy stickler so I'd go with the Dengar gun...  Marauder Inc. may be making one though too, as I seem to recall seeing an MG-34 in their list at one point or another.  It's a thought for down the road if they haven't done it yet.  Dengar's MG-34 is pretty spiffy though...  No ammo can or belt of ammo for it, but it's a pretty accurate weapon.  Forces of Valor makes 1:18 military figures at Target and some of them have a VERY nice MG-40 included, and it includes the round ammo drum on the side as well, so that's also an option if total accuracy isn't important.  MG-40's would be a later-model MG though obviously, than when the film itself takes place.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Ah, thanks JJ, I knew your knowledge of WW2 materiel would help!  Yeah, watching Raiders again I noticed the ammo can you mentioned, but for now I'll be content with putting the closest version on there.  As for mounting, I just used one little dab of super glue on the existing mount.  It displays well, as I don't plan on moving it around too much.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 09:25 AM »
If I was collecting the line, I'd have them all finally as I've finally seen every figure on the pegs. That Cate Blanchet character has been a toughy.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Marion w/ Cairo Henchman
Cairo Swordsman (it took me this long to find one with decent paint on the eyes)
German Soldier w/ motorcycle
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59 AM »
No problem DB...

For the curious wanting to do the fixed rear gun, here's the differences between an MG-34 and MG-42 (I think I said 40 above, that's a typo).

MG-42:

(note how the barrel is more squared)

MG-34:

(note the more rounded barrel w/vent holes)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Picked up a Cairo Swordsman and German Soldier 2-pack at Target.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 10:40 AM »
So at this point, how does the Indy stuff seem to be selling in your areas?  I know a lot of us were curious to see how this line will do, and although there will probably be a push once the movie is released next week - how has it looked so far?  I noticed here locally, things seem to have sold pretty well.  Deluxe figures definitely seem to be the hottest, but the basic figures are starting to dwindle as well.  I don't think I've seen any vehicles since the first day, and the Adventure Heroes seem to be picking up a little bit more now too (although there still seems to be plenty - but I haven't looked which ones are left specifically recently).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30 PM »
On May 2nd Target stocked up on the first half of the Deluxe and the RotLA single carded figures.  They also had Adventure Heroes, $20 vehicles, 12," RP Whip and Potato Head. 

They sold out of the Deluxe, vehicles and 12" on that first day.  The single carded figs were hit for about half of the stock while the Adventure Heroes, PH and Whip didn't sell much, if any. 

Since then they've restocked the single carded figures and added KotCS, restocked the first half of the Deluxe, the 12" and the vehicles.

WM didn't have any stock on 5/2.  They added single carded figures, deluxe, AH, vehicles and whip on the 3rd some time.  They sold through the vehicles and deluxe and haven't restocked.  They had both RotLA and KotCS single carded figures and sold most of them with all 4 Indy figs and 2 Mutt figures being the most available.  One or two of a Belloq or Sallah and that's about it.  They have not restocked them.

I don't think they've moved very many AH, if any at all, and they may have sold a couple RP Whips. 

I haven't paid much attention to the Lego sets but I know my Target sold through a lot of them as did WM who jumped the gun by a couple of days on an aisle display of them that they later pulled. 

I haven't really seen anyone looking at the figures and I know one guy in town that bought a bunch of stuff on day 1, other than that I can't really tell if anyone else is buying these or not.  While there's not a ton of stock right now, it's mostly due to the fact that WM hasn't restocked at all and Target hasn't restocked heavily.  And my Target still hasn't received the second half of the initial Deluxe releases (Indy/Horse, motorcycle, etc). 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Well, I hit WM and TRU over lunch today and both had restocked with Indy stuff.  They both had the Indy w/Horse and German w/Motorcycle sets, so I was able to cross those off the list.  I was tempted to pick up one of the trap sets, since the Indys looked pretty decent face/paint-wise, but I left them for now.  Also, WM just has a ton of everything in this line - except for vehicles.  Deluxe pegs were packed full of the aforementioned sets, the basic pegs were full and the shelf below them was full of basic figs as well.  The Adventure Heroes and 12" were in good supply as well.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 04:08 PM »
My illness continues ....
Today, I picked up the deluxe Indy with Ark, Irina Spalko, German Soldier, and Ugha Warrior.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 01:44 PM »
So at this point, how does the Indy stuff seem to be selling in your areas?  I know a lot of us were curious to see how this line will do, and although there will probably be a push once the movie is released next week - how has it looked so far?  I noticed here locally, things seem to have sold pretty well.  Deluxe figures definitely seem to be the hottest, but the basic figures are starting to dwindle as well.  I don't think I've seen any vehicles since the first day, and the Adventure Heroes seem to be picking up a little bit more now too (although there still seems to be plenty - but I haven't looked which ones are left specifically recently).

So, so up north.  TRU bought in seriously with lots of single cards, deluxe, vehicles, whips, spuds, etc.  They've sold quite well from what I can tell, but that might just be a consequence of no one else really caring.  Walmart has been pretty sparse really and I'm hoping that's because they were waiting for the movie to come out but I doubt it because they really didn't do much with Iron Man.  A little more, but not much.  I think they're just cool to movie toys now (smart, but unfortunate in this case).  Still, what they've had has sold well, except the whips. 

The other retailer, Zellers (poor man's Target) is completely hit and miss.  I've been to four of six stores locally and only one put anything of substance out and only middle of this week.  So with them I'm hoping it's still just a lag before the movie comes out. 

I'm pretty much at the point where I've purchased what I wanted thus far from the first couple of waves.  I'd still like to find an Indy/horse with good eyes on the Indy.  I bought the KOTCS Indy's on the single card and left the rest of the wave until after seeing the movie.  Picked up the deluxe I wanted, returned those I didn't. Mostly wanting the stuff that duplicates vintage stuff and the ToD/Grail stuff.  So I've bought:

___ Indiana Jones (Jacket/Hovitos Temple)
___ Indiana Jones (Open Shirt/Cairo)
___ Monkey Man
___ Cairo Swordsman
___ Indiana Jones (Shirt/Bazooka)
___ Indiana Jones (Jacket/KotCS)
___ Indiana Jones (Map Room) with Ark
___ Marion Ravenwood and Cairo Henchman
___ German Soldiers
___ German Soldier with Motorcycle

So just waiting on a decently painted Indy/horse.  Need to get Belloq/Sallah for the regular collection.  Contemplating Marion and German soldier for the artifacts (loser).  Humming and hawing on the vehicles.  They look great, but I don't really need them and not sure I want them. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Finally found all the deluxe sets at Wally world,   with decent face paints  picked up the German on Motorcyle (WOW.  I want more)  and Indy W/ Horse.  Had to pass on the others due to All I had was enough for two me.  Will head back on payday hopefully pick up more two packs of germans and another motercyle or two.  And the Indy mini playsets.   All I need are the Truck and Car and I think that will do it to TLC Figs hit.
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.