Author Topic: Animatrix  (Read 2825 times)

SilverZ

Animatrix
« on: March 5, 2003, 04:56 PM »
Have you guys been checking out these short films? The second one was put up on the site recently, and it's the first time I've bothered to look. Kinda cool!

http://www.theanimatrix.com

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Animatrix
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2003, 05:44 PM »
Argh!!  I hate Quicktime!  That's the Devil's (Apple's) tool...  Last time I loaded it onto my computer (for an AOTC trailer), most of my other multi-media programs went to sheeeaaatt...  Pain in the butt.

I'll take your word for it though Jared!   ;)

Is it an Anime type short, or an actual movie trailer type of short?  When's the next one due out again, seems like we've been waiting forever...?

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
Re:Animatrix
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2003, 07:32 PM »
it is GREAT, shows how the robots got in control -I believe.. the zipped 1° episode is 128 mb...  :o

SilverZ

Re:Animatrix
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2003, 08:03 PM »
Matt, yep, evil Quicktime is. You'll just have to chill for the DVD I guess. Very cool anime and, like krisvds said,  the robot backstory is pretty fascinating.

We get both Matrix movie sequels this year, too. I hadn't really given it much thought until now, but I'm starting to get amped for it!

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 08:29 PM »
I saw Dreamcatcher on Friday, so in turn I also saw Last Flight of the Osiris. The animation reminded me a lot of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, it looks like it was done by Square Studios (can anyone confirm this?). It was pretty good for what it was, really nice looking. Some of it was a bit corny, like the sword striptease (hey, go see it if you want to know what Im talking about), but it had a good feel for The Matrix. Definately got me in a Matrix kind of mood! Cant wait for the Special Edition DVD to come out in a few months, then we can get the Animatrix DVD, then two awesome films! Truly a year for The Matrix!

And let's not forget those AWESOME McFarlane toys! :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
Animatrix...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 05:44 AM »
has anybody else watched the animatrix? holy crap it's awesome, I was totally blown away by the depth of the stories and the animation. I know a lot of people were disappointed by reloaded (I wasn't--I really liked it) and many aren't fans (I am) in general (at least it seemed at RS every thread was a matrix bashing thread). the animation shorts do a great job of answering some of the questions I had about matrix as well as just giving a brief history up to the movies.  I thought last flight of the osiris was really cool just becasue it was so brief and to the point (plus I really dig the animation on that one). anybody else seen it? thoughts?
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Membraneman

• Jedi Initiate
  • Me, Me, Me !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Animatrix...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 08:04 AM »
I've ordered it and it's on it's way. Can't wait to see it. :o
I FIND, YOU FIND, WE TRADE

Bob Newton
Membraneman
BHC Administrator
bob@galactichunter.com

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 08:50 AM »
I seen them awhile back. Thery are very cool. The best of them is The Final Flight of the Osiris. Not just the story but the amimation in it just blew me away.
I don't need to buy the DVD as I have already downloaded the episodes & they are DVD quality.  8)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 11:11 AM »
I had seen the online versions several weeks ago.  I watched the remainder of the installments on the DVD yesterday.  It certainly follows in the footsteps of the finest work of Japanese animation.  I think it really helps bridge the space between Anime and The Matrix, for those who aren't very Japanimation savvy.  Plus, the elements that bridge The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded are good, too.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I'm merging the two different Animatrix threads together here so you guys can enjoy all the previous discussion on the matter as well...   ;)

Carry on!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 12:44 PM »
I'm thinking about picking up the DVD, not just because it's the Matrix, but also because from the few bits and peices I've seen, the art is really awesome.
Does anyone have the DVD and can give it a rating on a one to ten scale?  :-\

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2003, 02:42 PM »
I have it but on a scale of 1 to 10, I don't know.  there are the shorts (which you can watch all together) and there are several commentaries, a featurette on the history of anime, and some online access stuff I haven't watched yet.  it certainly is not as expansive as say the new blackhawk down which is mind-boggling or boxed fotr (which would both be 10s imo) but I feel like there is enough offered to justify my money.  I'll post more as soon as I watch the commentaries and see how in depth they are but if you are a big matrix or animation fan it's worth it, outside of that don't know.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 04:03 PM by Mandalorian Madman »
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2003, 04:52 PM »
I haven't picked this up yet.  I saw it yesterday, but it had one of those cheap paper DVD cases.  I had to pass.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Batmanimatrix?
« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2003, 11:49 AM »
I just got a chance to watch my Animatrix DVD recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I want to see other properties get this animated anthology treatment. Studios should hire teams of directors and animators to do this with other franchises:

- Batman - Yeah, I know, there have been tons of animated Batman cartoons throughout the years.  But I'd love to see WB let someone outside their own studio have a crack at the Dark Knight.

- Star Trek - This waning franchise needs a kick in the butt. A project like this that spans every incarnation of Trek might be just what it needs to generate a new fanbase.

- Alien - Ideally, THIS is where an "Aliens vs. Predator" crossover should start. Otherwise, let's see some more Alien stories from today's leading-edge creators.

- Star Wars - If Cartoon Network can do it, why not let studios like Pixar (Toy Story), Blue Sky (Ice Age), or - gasp! -  rookie Lucas Animation have a creative crack at it?
Post sober.