Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 51836 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Star Wars: The Old Republic
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:43 PM »
LUCASARTS AND BIOWARE REVEAL STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC

OCTOBER 21, SAN FRANCISCO – LucasArts and BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced the development of Star Wars®: The Old Republic™, a story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ franchise. Star Wars: The Old Republic, being developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, represents an innovative approach to interactive entertainment, featuring immersive storytelling, dynamic combat and intelligent companion characters.

In Star Wars: The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players can choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the players’ actions. Players can also choose to team up with friends to battle enemies and overcome incredible challenges using dynamic Star Wars combat.

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the most critically acclaimed Star Wars game in LucasArts history and a preeminent example of our company’s interactive storytelling heritage," said Darrell Rodriguez, President of LucasArts. "For a long time, we’ve long wanted to return to the franchise in a grand way, and we felt that the best setting for it was an online world that would allow millions of people to participate in the experience together. We knew that the developer capable of working with us to deliver an engrossing story with a fully-realized online world was BioWare."

"Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’re fusing BioWare’s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story. At the same time, we will still deliver all the fun features and activities that fans have come to expect in a AAA massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in a very exciting, dynamic period in the Star Wars universe."

Added Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Co-Founder and Vice President Development Operations, BioWare and Vice President, Electronic Arts Inc., "Star Wars: The Old Republic is set roughly 300 years after the events of Knights of the Old Republic, a timeframe that is completely unexplored in the lore. BioWare has been able to add to the Star Wars history in developing the game’s story and has created an overarching narrative that players can enjoy, regardless of their play style. Our goal is to offer players an emotionally rewarding experience that combines the traditional elements of MMO gameplay with innovations in story and character development."

Additional details on Star Wars: The Old Republic features, gameplay and release date will be announced at a later time. For more information about Star Wars: The Old Republic and to sign up for future product updates, please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com.

http://www.swtor.com/
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Star Wars' answer to World of Warcraft. They have a POTC & Stargate version of this too.

Pass.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:43 PM »
What happen to Star Wars Galaxies?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:32 AM »
It sucked, and was poorly run/dismal from the start. :)  I think Galaxies hasn't been anything in the realm of a "hit" to LA.

This sounds interesting, and they picked an era where Jedi were running rampant because that means they don't have that OT "limitation" of only so many Jedi...  Makes sense, and it's still STar Wars, but really I've never gotten the appeal of these games that much.  I guess I just figure they take too much time to "get into".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:22 PM »
So no dancing wookiees right?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2009, 12:27 AM »
A pretty kick ass trailer for this was launched recently. Check it.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2009, 06:17 AM »
A pretty kick ass trailer for this was launched recently. Check it.

OH. MY. GOD...

:o :o :o

That looks better than the prequels. It is time for me to upgrade the computer...

"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2009, 10:27 AM »
That was very cool.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2009, 03:12 PM »
HOLY CRAP that 2 min snipet was better then the entirtey of the prequels.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Wow that might be worth getting a new computer.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Sweet!   :o

Is this not coming to PS3 or xBox?  I could never get KOTOR to work on my PC a couple years ago.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2009, 05:21 PM »
I'm assuming not, as this is an MMORPG ala World of Warcraft and things, which I don't think work on consoles very well at all.

You should get KOTOR for X-Box if you haven't already iFett.  Outstanding game.  So fun to immerse yourself into it.  I've still not played KOTOR2 but am looking forward to it since we got a Nihilus figure.  I'm just lazy about gaming.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 2, 2009, 05:50 PM »
You should get KOTOR for X-Box if you haven't already iFett.  Outstanding game.  So fun to immerse yourself into it.  I've still not played KOTOR2 but am looking forward to it since we got a Nihilus figure.  I'm just lazy about gaming.

Oh I'm very lazy on gaming too.  Been playing Resident Evil 4 on and off again for the past 2 months (I only get around to playing on Sundays for a couple hours)  Hell - I still have my Dreamcast and N64 hooked up even though I haven't played them in years.  I need to toss those puppies.

I tried to pick up a used Xbox a few months ago when Game Crazy was running a deal with the console and three used games for $60.  Thought it was a pretty good deal as I only wanted the system for KOTOR 1 & 2, and maybe Halo 2 but all of the employees and other customers started laughing at me and told me not to buy because they claimed the system and those games are just pure trash. 

I've heard totally different about those games from several people since then, so I have to find the time to track one down even though they're out of stock and Gamestop isn't selling them out of their stores anymore - only online apparently.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: June 2, 2009, 07:36 PM »
I've still not played KOTOR2 but am looking forward to it since we got a Nihilus figure.  I'm just lazy about gaming.

Don't look forward to it that much or you'll be severely disappointed... :-X

"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #14 on: June 2, 2009, 08:53 PM »
The trailer looks awesome!  Too bad this is going to be an MMORPG.  I'd prefer another KOTOR type RPG.
This is the way.

I have spoken.