Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 51849 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Origins pre-order for the collector's edition is already sold out.  Holy ****.  :o
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52 PM »

Why didn't they just call this guy Darth Vader 2?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Wow.  They're not even TRYING to be subtle about differentiating between Darth Malgus and Darth Vader.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 12:56 PM »
The same could be said for Darth Malak (original KOTOR)...the only difference between Malak and Maglus really was the color of their uniforms.  Malak was a red/orange color.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12 PM »
To be fair to the game developers, TOR is trying to give fans a Star Wars experience they recognize completely...  Nothing so outlandishly EU that it is too foreign to the casual Star Wars fan, and thus there's a lot of things that will be very OT and PT in their looks, design, function, etc.

I get that need...  The game really demands it because it's catering to not just SW fans, but a whole world of MMORP'ers who may not be that hardcore into Star Wars that they'll be able to get into a completely unique and new set of worlds, characters, designs, etc.

I'd like to see a little more KOTOR in TOR myself though.  Chromey Sith Troopers especially.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 12:38 PM »
The trailers look awesome for this...unfortunately it's going to be a glorified chat room.

I really wish they could give us a continuation of the KOTOR series. Especially since not everyone games on a PC. Plus, online gaming is kind of lame. The story just isn't there, and it takes you completely out of the experience when you hear a badass looking character speaking with the voice of a kid who's balls haven't dropped. I'd rather have a solid, offline story. I have a feeling TOR is going to be a lot of these guys doing this...

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 04:37 PM »
That's GG's statue of Malgus, right? Saw some close up pics of it and man, am I disappointed. Well, not just after seeing the close ups, but the statue just is disappointing for me. He looks way too slick and the headsculpt looks just weird. The wrinkles look way off and the Sith (read: Goth) make up on the eyes is too thick.

Any of you follow Sithfire's work? If not, check out his version so far of Malgus over here (scroll way down and you'll see him). And that's 4" of detailed madness.... Imho much better than the statue.

On the game: huge pass for me, because I am so not into MMORPGS (did I spell that right?). The trailers though. Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. It's what TCW should've been. Not that I hate TCW, I watch every episode, but still.

I do have confidence in the whole LA/Bioware collaboration though. It should and hopefully will work. It's just not my type of game.

As for the look and feel: yeah it's all about recognition for the masses. I like my Old Republic really old and obscure. Like Tales of the Jedi. That's what the Old Republic is for me.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2011, 04:55 PM »
12-20-2011 it is!!!!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 05:14 PM »
w00t!  I am in the beta for the 13th-18th!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Sweet man...  Share some thoughts if you want, when you're done.  It looks like it's fun but I didn't try for a Beta shot.  I want to see ifi t takes off with subscribers for a bit before I commit to playing.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Played it last night and it was a blast.  I dont know what all I can and cannot talk about since I didn't read through the agreement word for word.  But I will say this, the game is very polished and runs smooth from what I have seen so far.  My fps rate seemed very good overall and I didn't feel there was a latency issue at all.  All this happening in a very crowded "newb" zone.  Looking forward to some more fun tonight!  ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 12:01 AM »
LucasArts was demoing TOR at NY Comic Con today.  They must have had about 40 gaming stations set up inside the booth, but there was still a considerable line to get in and try out the game.  There's also a HUGE Darth Malgus life-size maquette standing guard at the booth.

A friend of mine is also currently beta testing the game.  His initial reaction?  "It's that good."  I think he couldn't tear himself away from the game to elaborate much more.  But the gameplay I was able to see on the monitors at the Lucas Arts booth looked pretty amazing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Jim was in on the last Betas they did, and he was sharing some thoughts.  It sounds good.  I'm still holding out though to make sure it takes off and is shown true support, and that it will challenge the king of the MMORPG's before I'd commit to an expensive game purchase + subscription fee.

Every video looks like more fun though.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 11:25 AM »
finished my beta testing last night - and dang oh dang oh dang was it a good experience.  Not sure what I can talk about - I have been trying to read the agreement but their site is down for scheduled maintenance.

;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Not much, publicly. :)  That's why our Jim didn't post a review on the site, haha.

Though...  who's to say who you are here ya know?  So blab away.