Author Topic: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?  (Read 50567 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01 PM »
I had sort of the same response when seeing it.  I don't have much experience with 3D, but it didn't seem like anything to write home about or anything.  Honestly, I probably would be just as excited if they were straight re-releases.  It is just nice to see SW on the big screen again.  Even though I had seen it so many times before, it was still sort of exciting watching it in the theater again - brought back memories.  That being said, can't wait for the OT :).  I'll see them all though, it was fun.  We had about 20 or so people in our theater for a Friday matinee, sounds like it made roughly $23 mil this weekend, which I guess isn't bad (higher than the last re-release, Beauty and the Beast).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50 PM »
We saw it yesterday...my kids dug it.  I saw it so many times at the $1 theater in 1999 I burned myself out methinks

The first hour is soooo slow.  Anakin is terrible, really really bad.  That was about the time The Sixth Sense came out, right?  I remember my wife asking why they didn't get Haley Joel to play that part.  She is right.

The Podrace and the final battle (especially Maul v Kenobi) are pretty good still.  And I never really was annoyed by Jar Jar so he's cool. 

What puzzles me is Lucas kept saying in interviews how important it is to see stuff in the background and there really wasn't anything anywhere that needed that.

I found myself looking more at nitpicky stuff (is Mawhonic that short?  How many droids were on the Starship, who would make good figures) than anything else

Sounds like it beat the $20M+ they were hoping for so it sounds like AOTC is a go :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2012, 01:52 AM »
I caught it this afternoon on a whim with my gf and the kids...  albeit not young kids, but kids anyway.

I actually have to disagree with you Scott, on the backgrounds.  Check out Mos Espa, Watto's shop and Junkyard...  and, well, that's about it, but those two things (the race arena too if you count it separately) I noticed a lot more stuff.  Some very 2-1B-ish looking torsoes lying in a row at Watto's Junkyard, all the background driods and bits.  Noticed background characters I'd never seen before (the guy sitting with Vos in particular, as well as a yellow Rum Sleg looking guy).

I noticed stuff.

I went in kind of thinking this was going to suck, however I'd never seen any 3D movie since Jaws 3-D and so I was hoping for something cool in that realm, and I was really happy ultimately.  Like the scen where Qui Gon's threatening Watto on the balcony after the race.  I loved it.  The light on QGJ's head as he stepped out of the shadows and things.

I thought the 3D also highlighted how decent some of the CGI work was.  People criticize E1, but in the realm of CGI work it was pretty revolutionary.  Characters like Watto especially were VERY well done, and Jar Jar wasn't bad either.  Jabba was good too.  Maybe they could use updating now but I thought they were pretty good still.

I have the same gripes otherwise though...  I think Anakin was FAR worse than Jar Jar, and honestly if Jar Jar had been subtitled and not that ****** accent, I'd have loved that a lot more.  Give him a weird, but not obnoxious voice/dialect and subtitles and I just think it would've been a better character...  Maybe not as kid friendly, but they did it with Sebulba and Watto so I think it would've worked with JJ as well and made him less obnoxious.  Overall he's much more tolerable than Jake Lloyd's just simply horrible acting.

Lliam Neeson is still one of my favorite aspects of the prequals. 

Maul seemed just a little more menacing in 3-D.  I liked that.  I also noticed more "noises" from him.  Mostly grunts and stuff, but for some reason I noticed it now and never did before.

Sio Bibble needs a top hat and ****** magic tricks.

Neimoidians seemed a lot lamer in E1...  Why is that?  Why did they become better in the later prequals?  Were the voices dubbed better or something?

Lots of kids in the theater today, at a 3:45 showing of it, so I thought that was a positive.

I really enjoyed it...  I feel like I'm in the minority but I went in thinking it was gonna eat it, and there are dull points for sure (Once they're ready to leave Naboo it picks up but that whole opening is just bull****.  Also once they get to Coruscant it really slows down again but the return to Naboo gets kind of cool again once they get the Gungans and start making plans).

Oh and I thought the 3-D looked really neat on Coruscant, when Sids and Maul were chatting on the balcony.  Loved that too.  Loved the depth there.

The Taxi guy... who the hell would get into that thing with him?  He's creepy and silent, and never looks around.  Guy's a ticking time bomb.  He actually is the Star Wars version of "Taxi Driver" I think.

What can I say?  I liked it.

It made me anxious, actually, to see how battles look in the 3-D, such as Hoth, Yavin, Endor, Geonosis, or (oh my) the opening to ROTS.  That's gonna be trippy I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2012, 10:16 AM »
So was JarJar supposed to be funny - or just stupid?  I only saw this once at a nearly empty theatre back in Vegas..and no he wasn't funny to me, but there were plenty of young kids in my theatre on Saturday that were really going to town on some of the previews, but I didn't hear a peep out of them during the movie - except for a few 20 somethings behind me.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2012, 02:31 PM »
Went to see this on Friday.  I liked the 3D.  To me, the "in your face!" stuff is gimmicky 3d whereas using the technology to add depth to a scene works better, IMO at least.  I am in the minority of people that like this film.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Me and the two five-year olds took in a showing yesterday.  They LOVED it...  the big screen, the 3D glasses, the movie - totally good experience for them...

One of the boys was laughing loudly at JarJar's antics.  I blame his mother, who secretly loves watching crap like AFV and youtube "people crashing into stuff" videos, for his sense of humor.  He said the JarJar parts were his favorite parts of the film, especially when the "donkey farted at JarJar" and when he stepped in poop...   ::)

The other one didn't laugh once at JarJar, but did laugh at 3PO's "naked" joke and also laughed when Ratts flew into the rocks and screamed...  his favorite parts of the film were "when Maul chopped Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan chopped Maul" and the "guys crashing and exploding in the pod race".   He told me that he really liked it, but still liked "the one with the ice monster and snow fighting" better.   8)

So... one son with a terrible sense of humor and one son with great taste in SW films.

I found myself looking more at nitpicky stuff (is Mawhonic that short?  How many droids were on the Starship, who would make good figures) than anything else

I noticed myself doing that too - I didn't notice before how prevalent those little PK Droids were, they're all over the place.  Also noticed more Astrodroids (like in the Pod Garage) and other random guys who might make nice figures. 

Overall, I enjoyed it.  Like Scott and Jesse, I'm firmly in the "Anakin 'Yippee!' Skywalker sucks harder than JarJar" camp.  JarJar is what he is, but Anakin was worse. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I have to agree with you guys.  Watching TPM this weekend, I noticed a lot of the same things.  There are some slow parts, and Jake Lloyd's acting really is terrible (although I'm not saying I would have been any better at that age), but those are the worst parts.  Jar Jar really doesn't bother me that much anymore either, and maybe takes more blame than he should for the movie itself.  Like it was already mentioned, if they changed his voice a bit (or subtitled it), it would help a lot.  I did notice more depth/background stuff in the Watto and Mos Espa scenes too, which was kind of cool.

I took our daughter (4 1/2), and she loved it.  She's of course been exposed to some Star Wars before at home (although I don't think she's seen any of the movies from start to finish), but she's wanted to do nothing but play "Phantom Menace 3D" since then.  I dug out my old TPM figures (many of which had been retired from the display anyways), and we've been playing with those.  She actually likes Jar Jar as well (Padme is her favorite of course, for "girl power"), but the Pod Race and the final battle/lightsaber duel are her favorite parts.  Seeing it through the eyes of a kid again, I guess I can appreciate a lot of it more too.  Still the weakest of the Saga, but maybe gets more grief than it needs sometime.  The hype leading up to this movie made the disappointment that much stronger back then I think.  Still, it was fun seeing it on the big screen again, and I'm hoping they all make it to theaters.  Can't wait to see the OT in the big screen again.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2012, 02:14 PM »
This is from boxofficemojo.com:

"With the popularity of 3D and Star Wars across the world, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that The Phantom Menace's 3D re-release would dominate when it opened in nearly all markets this weekend. That didn't come to pass, though, and instead Journey 2: The Mysterious Island easily took the top spot.

The sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth earned $30 million from 30 markets. It took first place in China with an outstanding $13.5 million, and also claimed first in Russia with $6.8 million. So far, Journey 2 has made $79.2 million, which is 76 percent ahead of the first Journey across similar territories. The movie is set to expand in to France and Spain this upcoming weekend.

The Phantom Menace opened to $20.5 million from 59 markets, including all major ones aside from Japan and China (where it doesn't seem to have qualified for release). Its best opening was a first place start in Germany ($3.9 million), and it was also solid in the United Kingdom ($2.4 million), France ($2.3 million), Australia ($1.7 million), Russia ($1.3 million) and Spain ($1 million).

Oddly, it seems like 3D re-releases are more popular in the U.S. than they are abroad. The Lion King's 3D re-release made $94.2 million domestically, but has slowed down at $74.3 million overseas. Phantom Menace opened to $22.5 million in the U.S., but only $20.5 million in nearly the entire world. This data runs contrary to most 3D movies, which usually make at least 60 percent of their worldwide grosses overseas.

Regardless, Phantom Menace's 3D re-release has brought the movie's worldwide total to over $968 million (12th on the all-time list), and it should be close to passing $1 billion by the end of next weekend. "
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 01:39 AM »
Wow.  TPM-3D lost to the Rock riding around on a giant bee?  Uggghhhh.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25 AM »
TPM was not projected to be #1 at the box office.  It is not a first-run film, it is not on as many screens (as Journey 2) and it is critically maligned.  I have read that TPM grossed just around what they projected it to.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2012, 08:08 PM »
I snuck out today and saw it.  It was nice to see Star Wars again on the big screen, but the 3D did not add too much to it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Over at Engadget they are reporting that Ep1 in 3D will be in blu-ray this spring. So much for having a complete blu-ray collection. :-\

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/star-wars-3d-getting-the-blu-ray-treatment-for-spring/
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Saw it opening weekend, whie the 3D wasn't mind blowing, it didn't suck either. More subtle and added depth to many scenes. Though the best part was taking my son to see Star Wars on the big screen.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2012, 05:29 PM »
AOTC 9/20/13
ROTS 10/11/13

Too bad it isn't in Feb...but good they are speeding them up.  Plus gives a good Holiday push for merch

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Good news, sort of glad to hear we're getting two next year.  Sounds like the footage shown at CVI was more impressive than TPM's conversion:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/26/star-wars-attack-of-the-clones-and-revenge-of-the-sith-3d-opening-back-to-back

There are a lot of things, specifically in ROTS, that could be pretty spiffy in 3D.  Plus, now the OT gets here faster ;).  So I wonder if the Hasbro line will basically be split into AOTC-theme for the first half of the year (they mentioned the "Yoda look" running 6-7 months), then ROTS for the last half, or if they'll just keep things the same the whole year.  I guess it doesn't matter much for the Build a Droid line, aside from character selection maybe.