Community > Other Toy Lines

Scale Figures: How Important is it to You?

<< < (2/2)

MisterPL:
Without even reading his posts, I'm going to jump ahead and say I agree with Jesse.  ;D

I know from past experience that he is as passionate about scale as I am. I want a 1:18 plastic world.

Nicklab:
I think Hasbro is capable of the kind of quality work that 21st Century does.  BUT, I think their motivations are trying to keep the pricepoint low, as well as their costs.  Remember, the Star Wars license did not come cheap for Hasbro.  Lucas got 10% of the company as part of the agreement.

As for the Gunship going on clearance, it's not happening everywhere.  Plus, it had much higher production runs than most 21st Century vehicles.  In that regard, I think that kind of comparison is wrong.  Especially when I still see plenty of Corsairs, Lightnings and Stukas still sitting on shelves.

Jesse James:
But right there the Gunship should've had a cheaper pricepoint then, if it had dramatically higher production rates than what 21st's product have been.  

Though I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment because 21st has utilized their molds over and over via repaints, so their production #'s are, quite possibly, close to what that of the Gunship is...

For instance, the Stuka was first released in the flying pig markings version...  Then the DAK camo version, then a spinach camo online exclusive, and now winter white is shipping to TRU's (And it  wouldn't ship if they weren't selling...  TRU is very picky with 21st about product moving).  

But, the idea that the Gunship had a higher production run means they had higher sales to retail establishments, so by all intents and purposes they should've made their $ back and then some (Hasbro that is)...  

Price point's are generally established early into production determined on the costs of course.  If 21st can create something larger and genuinely better (than the Gunship) for the same price, but not utilize the major costs of mold toolings and such by having a shorter production run, then Hasbro should be able to have had the Gunship come in at a cheaper price point in theory...  I honestly think that's why we saw it clearanced quickly...  I think it was overpriced to begin with (most items are in retail, but I think the Gunship was exagerrated in price more than the usual percentage increases to allow for "sales" and clearance).

Every companies motivation are to keep pricepoints as low as possible for their product offered, and to minimize costs while still making quality product (or services) to the consumer.  I think the thing I'm trying to say is that they can come in at the pricepoint they HAVE been coming in at and deliver a better, and to-scale product if they tried...

Other companies are doing it.

The excuse of the contract with LFL isn't holding up anymore either if you ask me, because 21st Century has multiple expensive contracts they've paid out as well, coupled with their being a private company that faced a buy-out within the last 2 years by Jakks Pacific...  They're paying out royalties to others just the same, to use the names and likenesses of various product and personalities.  

They're also nowhere near the size of Hasbro and have nowhere near the financial "ability", and yet they set the bar or standard Hasbro should work to attain but rarely ever does.

I think Hasbro's capable of more, but they're generally unwilling to bend.  It's not something I've come to expect from them.  It happens sometimes, and I think they deserve criticism when it doesn't, but it's really something I've just come to not expect of them as a company.  I really think it's part of the issue with the line's overall declining popularity though...  

The fact  that the Star Wars franchise as a whole is declining in popularity doesn't help either, but Hasbro's not helping by their refusal to admit that the toy industry IS a competition, and that brand loyalty isn't what it once was.

Nicklab:
I admire your loyalty to the 21st Century line, Jesse.  However, the stuff doesn't sell that well by me.  I saw a bunch today, and a fair ammount of it was on clearance.

And here, that doesn't bode well.  I live about half an hour away from Toys R Us's corporate headquarters.  I also live within an hours drive of as many as 10 TRU's, and that's about how far all of the stores are from the HQ.  I hope they don't give up on 21st Century, because they do some great work.

Jesse James:
The only things clearanced in the line right now are the playsets...  Rightfully so, they're overpriced and even on clearance aren't selling.

I can't argue with that, and I'm even waiting them to go on further clearance here before I commit to buying the two smaller sets.

But, figures have only clearanced once (1st series, none of the rest), and that's a good sign...  Only a handful of vehicles ever saw a sale, and that was German items only generally.  

The line's staying power is surprising...  

It's not so much that I have a loyalty to 21st...  They screw up more often on "business" issues than many companies I have seen.  I'd say I'm more loyal to BBi actually because they make smarter decisions, and they're really giving 21st a run for their money (If they'd only branch out beyond modern stuff now!), but 21st's 1:18 stuff is just unbeatable in value when compared to Star Wars I think.

I don't really think of it as loyalty though.  I'm loyal to Star Wars though...  Just wish it was possible for other companies to have a crack at an action figure line for Star Wars.  That'd be something to see...  I think we'd see a vast improvement from Hasbro, out of simple necessity then.

Or they'd just say "F it" and give the line up to someone else...  The Hasbro "dedication" to the line seems shakey at best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version