Author Topic: Vintage 3.75" ARAH Figures  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage 3.75" ARAH Figures
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Bumping this one up as well 😉. I loved the ARAH line as a kid, and still have my figures from that time, although the accessories are another story. I've thought about trying to track down a small collection of these down the road, when I complete my vintage Star Wars collection. Looking through stuff online lately, I guess I didn't really realize there was a certain faction of fans/collectors that sort of just focus on the early years of Joe, and don't really care for when Joe became more.....colorful.

I honestly saw the earlier (straight arm years) at my friend's house, but I think Stalker was the only one I ever had. My first Joe was Duke, and it was one of my favorites. He had a lot of solo missions for awhile, until I was able to expand my ranks. I remember clearly my search for a Snake Eyes figure, until I finally found one at a local drug store and spent my hard earned money on it at 8 years old. It really was a great line, and those old cardbacks strike that same nostalgia as vintage Star Wars.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 06:05 PM »
What is a small collection? ARAH is a huge line to collect with a lot of large items and scarce items.  It's easy to see why people focus on certain areas.

But, yeah, there's always been an early years focus by snobs certain fans. Those were the best years overall, I think, but the whole run has its merits. The early days online there was quite the Marvel comic book centric attitude, too, to the point of being jerky about it.

There's also fans who are really just COBRA fans. The original Black Major guy who produced the factory level customs seemed to be one, a huge army builder, which one reason he had all those "bootlegs" made. (If you don't know know what I refer to, see Ebay search RED LASER and BLACK MAJOR customs...you'll find various figures that Hasbro never made.)

One of the biggest MIB ARAH collectors was a woman in Texas who has sold her stuff off for financial reasons. She had gobs of foreign items.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 08:14 PM »
I just cleaned out my storage unit.  And in that was my vintage GI Joe ARAH collection.  Over the next few months I'm going to be prepping it for sale.  But damn, is there a lot of stuff!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 06:00 PM »
One of the old Joes I was kind of hoping to pick up was Sgt. Slaughter. I always wanted one as a kid, and wasn't able to get one. Just with some initial checks of eBay, prices seem very reasonable. Joe experts, is there something I'm missing? Some don't seem to have his little baton, which I'm not sure I care about that much, but I guess I just thought he'd be a pricier figure. I may just be thinking of the modern 25th version, which I wasn't able to get either.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:01 PM by Brian »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Prices aren't that high for most vintage loose figures (there's some big exceptions). This is in part because many GI JOE collectors have moved on to modern style, some even selling off their vintage collections. It's similar to how Star Wars collecting became in some aspects.

Which Slaughter? There were 4 in the vintage line.
Triple T Driver, the cartoon look more or less.
Mail-In (the wrestling look...though not as pudgy as the real Sarge. Was offered for years via pack-in forms, but some price guides will act like he was a 1985-1986 only)
Warthog driver (a more tactical look, with removable hat)
Slaughter's Marauders (the only vintage single carded version of him released domestically. A repaint of the wrestling version. Made of more brittle plastic because it was made in Brazil and not China like most figures.)

And there was a large non-poseable wresting figure that was a mail-away only, made in the style of LJN's big rubber figures.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Prices aren't that high for most vintage loose figures (there's some big exceptions). This is in part because many GI JOE collectors have moved on to modern style, some even selling off their vintage collections.

Thanks for the info, I am starting to see lower than expected prices in some places, thanks. I just haven't really looked into vintage Joes in some time, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It seems so strange to hear that some collectors are choosing modern over vintage, not something you often see in Star Wars, at least with collectors that grew up with the original line.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: October 3, 2017, 05:09 PM »
I actually think the modern SW crowd has to outweigh the vintage by a large margin?  I mean in the one or the other category not buyers of both.  I know I've more or less given up vintage Star Wars at this point.  Cost is meh, grading has become too pervasive for me.  I'm even thinking of selling off what little boxed ships I have left.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77