Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249380 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #690 on: June 28, 2016, 12:18 AM »
The Ariya/Frey thing was more than enough to make this one of the best episodes of the season, but so much more was packed into that episode...

Re: Varis, I'm fine with timelines not syncing up exactly.  I can buy that stuff all taking place pretty spread out.  Hell, Little Sam looks like he aged significantly since just earlier in the season, and just the time it'd take Jamie to get from the Frey's to King's Landing is a long time I'd wager...  I'm fine with assuming the times don't sync exactly with one another and that a single episode can span a long period of time itself.

Great episode...  Last week was awesome, but this was that much better.

Was discussing this with a friend tonight...  So technically, at this point, the rightful heir to the throne, from the Targaryan POV, would be Jon, not Daeny, right?  Likewise, Sansa wouldn't be the heir to the North, Bran would...  and Dorne and Herenhall are kind of both in shambles, family-wise, as is the Lannister family on the Iron Throne itself since their claim was never legit and now it's even less so.

Hmmm.  That's a real mess.  But it puts Daeny and Jon at odds, it puts Jon and Sansa at odds.  It puts Bran and Sansa at odds.  And everyone hates Cersi, basically.

And at this point there's like, what?  One Beratheon left and last anyone saw him he was floating away from Sir Davos somewhere.  It seems to me the Game of Thrones is running really low on players, from the POV of the major houses of Westeros.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:07 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #691 on: June 28, 2016, 08:30 AM »
Jon wouldn't be a legitimate, true-born Targaryen heir.  Bran is the legitimate heir to Winterfell.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #692 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Here's an explanation on why the timelines don't seem to make sense:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/got-writer-explains-travel-time-inconsistencies.html

It's not intended to match up real time because doing so would hurt the narrative.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Jon wouldn't be a legitimate, true-born Targaryen heir.  Bran is the legitimate heir to Winterfell.

If Rhaegar and Lyanna got married prior to his birth he would be.  There's precedent for Targaryens taking multiple wives, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

And at this point there's like, what?  One Beratheon left and last anyone saw him he was floating away from Sir Davos somewhere.  It seems to me the Game of Thrones is running really low on players, from the POV of the major houses of Westeros.

Gendry is a bastard and not a Baratheon.  He has no rightful claim to any Baratheon holdings unless legitimized by a king.  Ramsey was a bastard Snow until he was legitimized by Joffrey as reward for the Bolton's role in the Red Wedding.  Once legitimized, he became a Bolton and gained all rightful claims that came with it.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 28, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Lots of the great house of Westeros are in a state of chaos.

HOUSE STARK -  Three legitimate heirs:  Bran (first in line, but paralyzed), Sansa & Arya.  Bran is currently MIA to the rest of the family, making the situation more murky.  Jon Snow is considered part of House Stark, but is currently regarded as a bastard.  At least until the rightful Lord or Lady of that house, or the King, legitimizes him.  And of course, he is more likely a claimant to House Targaryen, but nobody really knows that on the show except for Bran.

HOUSE ARRYN - The only heir at this time is Lord Robyn Arryn, and that boy is clearly quite troubled.  And we haven't seen any other Arryns ready to step into his place.  Will Petyr Baelish step in to become the Lord of the Vale should something happen to young Lord Robyn?

HOUSE LANNISTER - Three heirs to be the Lord or Lady of Casterly Rock:  Jaime Lannister, Cersei Lannister and Tyrion Lannister.  Tywin had disowned Jaime for remaining with the Kingsguard prior to his death.  And Kevan had distanced himself from Cersei.  Tyrion is regarded as a kinslayer for having killed his father, Tywin.  And now that Cersei's children, Kevan and Lancel Lannister are all dead, who is left?  In light of Cersei's coup d'état for the Iron Throne and Jaime having been dismissed from the Kingsguard, I suspect that he will become the Lord of Casterly Rock despite Tywin's proclamation.  And does Jaime potentially get with Brienne of Tarth?  That storyline has bubbled under the surface.  Unless of course some lesser Lannister rises up.

HOUSE TYRELL - Following the events of the Green Trial, only Lady Olenna is left alive.  Mace?  Dead.  Margaery?  Dead?  Loras?  Dead.  The Queen of Thorns is the only other Tyrell that we've seen on screen.  We never saw either Willis or Garlan Tyrell on the tv series.

HOUSE MARTELL - Between Oberyn's fight with the Mountain, and the treachery of the Sand Snakes having killed Prince Doran and Trystane Martell, there doesn't appear to be a true born Martell left to rule Dorne.  While the Dornish are much less judgemental about bastards, can they have a Sand rule Dorne?

HOUSE BARATHEON - No true born Baratheons remain:  Robert is dead, Renly is dead, Stannis and his family are dead.  Robert's bastard children were almost entirely eliminated except for Gendry.  And the children Robert believed to be his are all dead as well.  It seems that House Baratheon may be dead unless the monarch upon the Iron Throne recognizes Gendry and he is allowed to rebuild this house.  And you know that Cersei isn't going to do that.

HOUSE TARGARYEN - Danaerys lives, but the only child she bore was stillborn thanks to the Lazareen witch's magic.  Jon Snow seems likely to be a Targaryen as the son of Rhaegar, but has not been recognized as such.

As for some of the lesser houses?

HOUSE FREY - Thankfully, the late Lord Frey is finally LATE.  Thanks, Arya.  She also took out Black Walder and Lothar Frey in the process.  But there are lots of other Freys, and I suspect that they're going to be at each others throats for power over the Twins.

HOUSE TULLY - Riverrun is lost to the Freys and the Lannisters.  The Blackfish is dead.  And Lord Edmure was a captive of the Freys.  Will Arya have freed Edmure in the process of taking out Walder Frey?  Will the Tullys have any sort of future?

HOUSE GREYJOY - Euron Greyjoy reigns the Iron Islands.  It's not clear if Aeron and Victarion are in the mix as well.  Yara doesn't seem prepared to marry and Theon lost his favorite toy.  It's certainly complicated.

Danaerys has spoken of breaking the wheel of Westeros.  It looks like the infighting among the great houses has done most of that for her already!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:35 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #695 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44 PM »

If Rhaegar and Lyanna got married prior to his birth he would be.  There's precedent for Targaryens taking multiple wives, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Wouldn't that wedding have to have been public for it to count?

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 28, 2016, 07:59 PM »
This is a good TV show. Holy crap, I hope that the Hound winds up being somebody's hand. I've given up hope that Jon and Dany get married; no way they can cook up the chemistry that either of them have had with others. I hope little Arya gets a kingdom and the Hound is her hand.

I'm gonna fanfic the **** out of that storyline if it doesn't really happen.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #697 on: June 28, 2016, 08:21 PM »
That's what I was saying about Jon, I thought his parents had married...  He's technically not a bastard at all if that's true and has a more legit claim to the Iron Throne than even Daeny if the male/female thing were to be debated and his parents married.  And Brans got more claim to the North than Sansa or Ariya...  It's pretty nutty. 

Now there is basically only one even remote Beratheon left, Tyrells are all but done, Dorne is slightly less a mess but not by a lot.

It'll be weird to see who lives, as it wraps up.  At this point that's the more strange thing for a character to actually do... Survive.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 28, 2016, 11:28 PM »
I'm still wondering if the so-called "Pisswater Prince" will come to light in the show.  He's a significant player at the end of book 5.  And we can surmise that Jon's name came from Rhaegar's close friend, Jon Connington.  But we still haven't seen any sign of the lost Targaryen or his protector, Jon Connington.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #699 on: June 29, 2016, 05:21 PM »
I think I'm the only one who wasn't bothered by Varys' quick trip.  He was in Dorne, it's called the Narrow Sea for a reason, and Danares wasn't going to move without knowing he had secured allies in Westeros.

All hail Jon Targaryen...King of the North!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #700 on: June 30, 2016, 08:07 AM »
I think I'm the only one who wasn't bothered by Varys' quick trip.

No - but it's been explained:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/got-writer-explains-travel-time-inconsistencies.html

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 13, 2016, 02:02 PM »
Late to posting...watched the finale live but only managed a second viewing just last night. Really gripping stuff...certainly accentuated with the creepy musical score that bookended the episode.

It's the little details that help make this show so great. The Lady of Thorns dressing down the Sand Snakes...the Hand of the Queen moment with Tyrion...Sam seeing the white ravens flying out from the Citadel from afar...just really nice touches.

And if you love strong, well written female characters with depth, you've got a lot to love in this show. Not only Dany, Cersei, and Arya but now Yara, Meera, Lady Moormont, the Sand Snakes, etc. Pretty amazing in such a brutal world how women have come to stake such a claim for themselves. Fun to watch too.

For years I felt like I was the only person who still had a white-hot hatred for Walter Frey that would never subside. Every season I kept waiting for them to come back around and serve up some justice there. It was just incredibly satisfying seeing him go out the way he did. As if I could love Arya's character any more. And I disagree about House Frey - I think they are in complete and utter shambles on par with House Baratheon. Those 2 dipshits Arya carved up were the best and brightest of the lot. The rest may as well jump into the river at this point.

Still concerned about the wild cards like Littlefinger and Melisandre. But hopefully they don't screw things up too badly along the way.

And I know it's wrong, but I can't help but wonder WTF Frankenmountain was actually going to do to that poor Nun.  :-X
I mean, I don't think that thing even eats, sleeps or goes to the bathroom, much less has anything else going on down there...maybe he was planning to sing show tunes?  :P
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 31, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Hmmm, so who might Jim Broadbent be playing next season?  ???
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32 PM »
Hmmm, so who might Jim Broadbent be playing next season?  ???

I'm thinking one of the Maesters.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Season 7 starts debuts on HBO on July 16th, at 9 PM.

Feedback