Author Topic: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases  (Read 302754 times)

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Vintage Collection Purchases
« Reply #330 on: April 6, 2011, 08:34 AM »
Hi alll first post here
some may know me from RS
So why isnt there anything to buy for like, this whole year?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 6, 2011, 09:03 AM »
For lack of anything worth buying, or because of not being able to find anything?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 6, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Later
These are the best products they have ever put out, if they would actually put any out. Hasbro swore they were going to actually distribute Vintage. What happened with that?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #333 on: April 6, 2011, 04:21 PM »
For my area, Vintage has actually been distributed well until right now...  Now, that means wave 6 for me.  I've seen everything else now, though Wave 5 was one that I didn't see the Luke and the Yoda...  But I saw all the others.

Wave 6 though, I've yet to see any at retail, so I'm assuming there's just a backlog right now going on...  That or there's some other factor for slowing down, but in my area the WM pegs are fairly clogged with the white ROTS Clone, and K-Mart and Target are just not ordering anything.  I haven't been to a TRU in eons due to their prices.

Everything from Wave 4 till now I've found at WM though, and WM is now clogged, so that's the real problem till Target decides to actually start carrying Vintage again.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 6, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Lucky you.  I had to get all of wave 4 on HTS (still need to get a Jango).

Wave 5 I found a Stormtrooper at Walmart but haven't seen otherwise, and haven't been able to order on HTS.

Wave 6 I ordered on HTS as well.

Distribution has been BS.  My local Target (the only store close enough to my house to not be a pain in the ass to get to) only has Cloud Car Pilots and it's been that way for months.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #335 on: April 6, 2011, 08:11 PM »
My local Target (the only store close enough to my house to not be a pain in the ass to get to)

Are you making many toy runs though, because of that?

I don't live within a city, so everything's a pain for me to get to generally, but I still wind up out on the weekends and stuff and can hit a variety of stores then that way...  That's the only reason I've been able to see this much stuff.  I haven't done many runs though since I got my Wave 6 case...  I usually hit a few stores a week though, and then a few on the weekend in another area.

I'd say, right now, that distribution is kind of at a stand-still though...  WM is hitting its limits for most people, Target simply won't order anything, nor will K-Mart, and Toys R Us sucks the sweat off a dead man's sack to begin with.

I know that what I did see, I didn't see a lot of it.  Wave 3 to now have all hit in a relatively small ammount compared to Wave 1 and 2.  And my Target's basically the same...  Though I'd add 4-LOM and Dengar to the mix.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2011, 08:13 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 7, 2011, 11:33 PM »
My local WM got in both a Wave 5 and a Wave 6 case - I didn't need any of the Wave 6 figures - but I did use this as my opportunity to pick up my second openers of Yoda, Death Star Escape Luke, R5-D4 and Endor Capture Luke - so I'm now done with Wave 5.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 9, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Probably counts more as a CW purchase, but I found the Gunship droid yesterday. This just came out, right?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 9, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Probably counts more as a CW purchase, but I found the Gunship droid yesterday. This just came out, right?

Yes, I just got one this week as well.  Too bad this and the Jedi Speeder are shipping in different assortments.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #339 on: April 17, 2011, 09:33 PM »
I can't recall what wave he's from but I saw a Yoda for the first time tonight at WM...  Picked him up and a lone Senate Guard that was chilling with him.  Yoda interested me just barely because I thought he looked like a significant enough upgrade.  I figured why not?

This WM keeps getting a case here and there, and they all sell except the White Clone, I assume, which folds in with the other 20 or 30 white Clones chilling out at this store. :)

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Has Hasbro made any attempt to explain why the distrobution situation is so terrible? And getting worse all theime?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Hasbro's not really out and about on internal issues...  I think once the Q&A's kick back in someone (or 10) will ultimately ask about distribution.  Right now I can't say it's entirely Hasbro though...

My Target hasn't gotten a new vintage figure in since Christmas time...  There's room, they just haven't gotten anything. 

My WM's have steadily gotten a case or two in at a time though, all of them.

TRU's not ordering because their prices are absurdly high and nobody's buying since all they've had are Wave 1 & 2 since basically Wave 2 was new.

My KM stores are in their usual rut for this time of year, regardless of price or whatnot, where they're just not getting new stuff in like Target.  Not sure if Target is just maybe wanting to focus on movie toy lines that are comign out in Summer or what.  KM's always done this though so I'm not surprised at them.  Target I am though.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Hasbro's not really out and about on internal issues...  I think once the Q&A's kick back in someone (or 10) will ultimately ask about distribution.  Right now I can't say it's entirely Hasbro though...

My Target hasn't gotten a new vintage figure in since Christmas time...  There's room, they just haven't gotten anything. 

My WM's have steadily gotten a case or two in at a time though, all of them.

TRU's not ordering because their prices are absurdly high and nobody's buying since all they've had are Wave 1 & 2 since basically Wave 2 was new.

My KM stores are in their usual rut for this time of year, regardless of price or whatnot, where they're just not getting new stuff in like Target.  Not sure if Target is just maybe wanting to focus on movie toy lines that are comign out in Summer or what.  KM's always done this though so I'm not surprised at them.  Target I am though.

I have been seeing the same trends that JJ has here in the Chicago area. Granted I do not do that many runs anymore due to the fact of me not needing anything other than fodder/builders (and for the first time in my life gas is being a deterrent from hunting.) Three Targets that I have been to each have had 8 rows of empty pegs for the Vintage line. Heck, even the Sandtroopers and EP3 Clones are gone!

FYI - WM still has Dengar, 4_Lom and CC Pilots, so if anyone needs them you are now in the know! ;)

K-Mart had the best selection of anywhere I have been to, they had the ROTJ wave! Go figure....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2011, 06:01 PM »
I don't think distribution has been this bad in all my years of collecting, which is since the first POTF2 wave hit the pegs back in 1995.

Regarding who is to blame, I don't know but I think a lot of it falls on Hasbro for their ridiculous case assortments and carry forward figure decisions.  It might not be the main cause, but I am sure it makes a contribution when retailers see some figures not selling.

I think the higher price point is the ultimate factor though.  $9 - $10 figures just don't move as fast, especially when the other lines are more apt to get temporary price cuts and sales.  I think Hasbro needs to find a way to lower the MSRP on this line, especially when you consider that so much of it is repacks and carry forward figures.  If we're expected to pay more, we should consistently get more in return.

Why should retailers order as much vintage when they can get Clone Wars and Legends for cheaper, and turn them around faster because it costs the consumer less to buy them, especially in a weak economy? 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #344 on: April 18, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I think price is a sound argument...  Why put as much into the pricey line when the other one seems to sell steadily better, and for less money?  Hell, at $6.50 at WM, my stores have been blowing through legends stuff consistantly, and they had decent enough sales before because new stuff that sold out would turn up.  I keep seeing new BD 2-packs out on the pegs almost every time I'm in now though, and that's sometimes 2 or 3 times just on a weekend, and I pick them up if it strikes me...  And yet more turn up, so I know they're continuously putting out new Legends cases...  I don't keep up with CW figures as much, but I know for a fact that all the Embo's, Cato Parasitti's, and the like are drying up here.  All the female Jedi figures are now long gone and you can't find a battledroid around either.  I used to see Embo like fly dirt around here, and he's largely gone now too.  Kind of shocking.

Legends though, I see fewer and fewer Phase 1 Clones, Snowtroopers, etc.  Then I'll see more, then it'll be gone...  wash, rinse, repeat.

But here KM's pegs are bare.  My stores have 2 or 3 Vintage figures only (one lone Woof hangs out at my local KM.  He makes me sad), and they're getting nothing new in.  Like I said, this is pretty routine for K-Mart though, in April...  They always cut back right at this time of year, especially on a line like SW.  They've got a good many Clone Wars, Lock's, and Legends though.

Target has 1 Vintage figure on each peg, but they've moved a lot of Legends and Clone Wars stuff it seems, and I think their sale will probably help them.  On the vintage pegs it's either 4-LOM, Dengar, or CC Pilot pulled out to the front, and not a single other figure anywhere.  Each peg has just that one vintage figure.  It's comical almost.  However with this sale, the clearancing of the Geonosis 2-pack stragglers...  I'm betting more stuff may be on the horizon for Target, plus possibly a toy dept. reset.

And like I said, WM has been moving Legends/CW stuff pretty steadily, and other than the Phase 2 White Clone, a couple straggling Wave 1 figures, a handful of Sandtroopers, and maybe a couple Obi's/Ani's, everything Vintage is moving too, though there's not nearly as much.  The only figure out of that whole tribe I'd call the ultimate pegwarmer then is the white Phase 2 Clonetrooper then, which of course a new one turns up here and there depending on what case is opened (and I keep seeing Vin wave 4 - 6, even at the same stores and out of order).  The 212th Clones are all selling though, Sandtroopers aren't nearly as pegwarmery as they used to be, and when a new case of anything from Wave 4 to Wave 6 is opened, it generally sells out save for that White Clone if he's in there.

But to put it in some perspective, my nearest WM had a ton of the pre-pack shippers on an endcap, not even on the main aisle, and they sold out of EVERY figure in them practically, in about 1 week.  What was left got moved to the regular pegs, and almost everything that got moved is gone because this store is down to no Anakin's and 1 or 2 of the new Obi-Wan, and nobody else that was in those sets...  That's a ****load of toys sold in a week when you think about it, and that wasn't even counting the stuff at the normal area.  I mean those pre-packs were hard to even find at my WM because they were facing the wall.  They were picked clean though, lickity split.