Author Topic: Jedi Points? Your Prediction  (Read 12945 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: How many JP points will it take?
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2003, 02:08 PM »
Wait till some lots of JMPs start poping up on ebay.  There was an auction about a month ago that sold for 30 sum dollars for 1250 points.

That may be a better way to get the figs you want sell the points take the cash and buy them ;)
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2003, 02:12 PM »
So far Jim that is the most I have seen, I have to have 5000 I'm guessing, I just have never counted them all.  Sort of like I have never counted my figures...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2003, 02:20 PM »
I dont know if anyone else is willing, but if these auctions go for crazy prices, then I say we all band together our points.  If we win offer them in some kind of contest on the site.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2003, 05:00 PM »
I was sitting in at the Hasbro panel at the Comic Con when they made this announcement, and my jaw almost hit the floor.  Surprisingly, the crowd that was present at the discussion didn't let out a loud moan/groan, or anything.  But I was pissed off to hear about this absolute crap method of point redemption...

The Hasbro rep said they obviously had to be very careful from a business standpoint how they set up the promotion, since there were so many tens of thousands of JM points out there in collectors hands, that there was no way they would be able to cash them all in without getting hit badly financially.  So it sounds like there will be a fortunate few who are lucky enough to cash in some of their points and get something nice.  Since I already have all the items they mentioned as potential giveaways, I'm really not too concerned about the whole thing.  Unless they come up with some other unannounced, and unique items, I'll probably just pass on the whole thing.

No idea how many points I've got, though I'm sure it'd be somewhere between 5,000 - 10,000, if Jim's got 8 and Scott thinks he's got about 5.  I haven't been cutting them off the cards, but I've saved all the cards and boxes, so when I move next month, I suppose I could tally 'em all up and see where I stand if I decide I'm interested later on...

The whole thing really stinks though.  What was Hasbro thinking?  Ebay?  They've got to know what a lot of collectors out there thing of the whole auction thing.  I'm also guessing that without the need for a receipt, and considering the general desparateness of many folks to add a TF Vader or Sacul to their collections, we're going to be seeing a LOT of cut up SW Hasbro product on the retail shelves in the near future.  Hopefully I'm wrong about that, and that there aren't such unscrupolous people out there that would do such a thing, but I won't be surprised if it does...

Shame on you Hasbro!  Wish I had the cojones to tell them so at their booth later on, but I unfortunately just bit my tongue...

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2003, 05:21 PM »
I'm sure I have  between 3k-5k Jedi Points, but I highly doubt I'm even going to worry about using the points toward anything.  I can't believe Hasbro is doing it as an auction... not fair to the people who love collecting Star Wars but don't have all the points saved up.  I give the whole thing a big thumbs down.
dustrho

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2003, 05:38 PM »
I think I have around 500 or so I haven't counted them in a while and think I lost them some where. Since this annocement if I did lose them it sounds like I don't have to worry to much.  
I wonder how many points are out there if Hasbro is worried that they will be hit hard with a promition like a figure or something.
Suipid Idea Hasbro.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi Points? Your Prediction
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2003, 08:20 PM »
My prediction is that Hasbro in their infinite wisdom will come up with some stupid ploy, like using the JMPs in an Ebay auction type of thing to get junk that we already have.  Can you imagine if they did something as stupid as that?!   ::)

Oh, wait a second...   :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2003, 01:57 PM »
Would it have killed them to offer a mail-in? Here was a perfect opportunity to get unreleased stuff like Trophy OOM-9 and Obi-Wan in collector's hands. But, it was probably the idea of the same corporate sleazeball that thought collectors would absolutely LOVE to see action features on their Star Wars figures.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Jedi Points on Ebay? Give me a break!
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2003, 07:33 AM »
Check out this auction:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%

This numbnuts wants $50 for his points.  Two things come to mind here.  That probably wont be enough points to win anything, plus you can already buy some of the planned items if you had $50.  I hope anyone that who buys these gets burned.  Opinions?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 11:15 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi Points on Ebay? Give me a break!
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2003, 07:55 AM »
someone has bid on it!!!!

Well I suppose that there are people out there that will buy anything

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2003, 12:44 PM »
Well another one has popped up and only $100 for 3450 points.  What a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3139929954&category=2476

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2003, 12:54 PM »
People will do anything to make a buck!  ::)
Sad thing is, like the first auction, there are others that want to have the most points they can get so they can bid away.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2003, 02:12 PM »
I said it another forum that's it's a good idea.  I mean he is not going to win the auctions Hasbro eluded to.  The points won't do him any good now.  Hasbro probably won't have another promotion like send in the points and get a figure.  So, he might as well get some money for them if he can.  Otherwise they are worthless.  And sure enough someone has bid.  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2003, 07:00 PM »
My recommendation is not to hate this guy selling his...  Hate the concept Hasbro came up with.  Hate the fact they are basically doing something to use up the Jedi Master Points without having to "give back" to the people who have loyally bought their half-hearted product just because we love Star Wars.

Hate anyone, hate Hasbro.  That guy just saw an opportunity, and I hardly blame him for what he's done.  

I'm personally keeping my JMP's...  Maybe another offer will be made, but the auction idea doesn't entice me at all and I have the figures they've mentioned so far and don't want any more of them, even if I could sell them for outrageous prices.  

Maybe someone who really needed them will get them...  I can hope.

It's just a whole sham to me...  I do see it as insulting to the loyalty we've shown over these years, and believing that we'd actually ALL get to use our points some day in a promotion that benefits the masses instead of just a select few.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2003, 07:12 PM »
Well, I actually think it's a great idea selling those Jedi points on eBay.  There's no way in hell that I'll ever be able to use them... I just don't have enough of them.  I only have about 3,000 tops, and those are all still on the carded figures packaging (which I won't open).  But I do have a bunch of Jedi points from opening some figures, so maybe I'll sell them on eBay.  It's a great idea, and the person that started selling them has a very creative mind.
dustrho