Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Japan
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 02:00 AM »
The reactor thing is really frightening...  I mean, on a level that transcends just what's going on in Japan.

BTW the text thing I keep seeing is text REDCROSS to 90999 I think it is, and you donate $10...  Just incase anyone wants to.  I think I'm going to tomorrow.  I've sort of been leery to jump into the digital age of moving money about.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Sounds like the worst has happened and a reactor has ruptured...bad bad bad :-[

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Time to call in the Super Action Battling Seizure Robots!

RE The Reactor Issue: No one should ever build anything so big and so dangerous that cannot be simply turned off. I don't understand why there is not a giant metaphorical extension cord they can't just pull out of the proverbial wall socket.

Yes, my knowledge of nuclear physics is astounding.

Seriously though, how safe is it to have a power source that you cannot control?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:33 AM »
The "off switch" is the cooling water.  You can't just stop a nuclear reaction.  This could be much, much worse.  At this point, there has not been a failure of the reactor containment.  Many of the building have been destroyed, but I don't think you build to withstand a 9.0 earthquake.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Missile silos in the U.S. are built to withstand them I thought?  Maybe not though...  I'd just think that a nuclear plant would be similarly built but I suppose there isn't really a prep you can do for something like that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Missile silos in the U.S. are built to withstand them I thought?  Maybe not though...  I'd just think that a nuclear plant would be similarly built but I suppose there isn't really a prep you can do for something like that.

I heard it was more the tsunami than the quake.  But who the hell knows.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 05:21 PM »
Explosion @ 4th reactor   :o
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 12:26 AM »

They can handle quite a bit....but we also keep them away from major active fault lines.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 01:18 AM »

I heard it was more the tsunami than the quake.  But who the hell knows.

It was the tsunamis that damaged the cooling systems. 

But there are concerns that the Fukushima reactor design was not as safe as it should have been.  This former GE engineer explains that because of those concerns at the Fukushima Daiichi plant he resigned his position.  Newer reactor designs have cooling systems that do not rely as much on electrical power for water pumps and heat exchangers like those used at Fukushima.  It's those systems that have failed because of damage from the tsunamis.

The bigger concern seems to be that the situation at Fukushima is getting so much worse that workers at the site are being pulled out because of the radiation danger.  Without those personnel in place to keep actively working at cooling down the reactors this crisis could approach proportions close to that of the Chernobyl disaster.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Whatever they are paying those 50 dudes working on-site, it's not enough. Those poor guys are fighting to save the whole damn country. Truly heroic in light of the tremendous personal risk.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32 AM »
Whatever they are paying those 50 dudes working on-site, it's not enough. Those poor guys are fighting to save the whole damn country. Truly heroic in light of the tremendous personal risk.

You're talking about a society that largely revolves around honor.  They probably aren't that concerned about the money, and if they live will likely be well taken care of.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 7, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Ugh, another 7.4 Magnitude quake off the coast of Miyagi this morning. What an ordeal for those poor folks.

I don't think anything over 7.0 should really be considered an "aftershock". Freaking buildings were shaking for over a minute in Tokyo.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #27 on: April 7, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Nothing like a tsunami of radioactive water to brighten your day.  :-\
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird