Author Topic: Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)  (Read 20370 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:25 AM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Bespin Luke holds a very special place in my collection.  Bespin Luke was my Woody as a kid.  He went everywhere, we did everything.  He flew every ship, he kicked every Cobra's ass.  He had his paint all wore off and his gun was lost but he was still awesome.

Fast forward to the modern line and every single Bespin Luke has been lacking in some way, shape or form until a few weeks ago when Hasbro hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th down by 3 to win the World Series.  I think this new figure may be there best one ever.  And that is truly saying something.  To me, and I've said it just recently in the Han Bespin thread, it almost always boils down to likeness.  The first "vintage" Luke sucked because that head looks nothing like Luke Skywalker.  It looks like some stoned out pizza delivery dude.  The head sculpt on this new figure is breathtaking.  So much so that I've bought 4 of them so far to outfit every single ESB Luke...

See how much better that makes them?  Then, the articulation is so over the top that they went above and beyond the call of duty.  My only gripe is that I wish we could have got some battle damage somehow.  But if that means down the road they rework this a little, by all means I'll buy again.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:53 AM »
Amasing versions, incredible evolution!!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:55 AM »
I agree. This new version of Luke is the best figure to come out of Hasbro in a long time. I've picked up multiples as well. I hope that they use this as the base for future battle damaged and dagobah training versions.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:20 AM »
I agree 100% with the VC Bespin Luke being the best likeness.  My only "gripe" is that I don't have the tourniquet thingy to put on his right arm (which I've removed the hand and have him lying on the bed in the BMF falcon with the new Hoth Leia looking over him).
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59 AM »
Had this Bespin Luke when I was a kid,loved using him as my main Luke figure.

The new one does go all the way for likeness and detail though the VOTC Bespin Luke is still not put to shame too badly by this latest incarnation.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09 AM »
I'm another person who had the original Bespin Luke as his favorite.  I do like the new version a bunch, but again as with the recent Luke figures, I am not happy about the height.  It is ridiculous that the old school one is taller.  I know that he's a short guy, but c'mon. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Still waiting for the bloody version of the vintage figure  :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 12:51 PM »
I remember this figure from back in the day, even had the yellow 'stick saber' as I called it then. I like the new one and plan to get it.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 04:18 PM »
I love Scott's story that this was his "Woody" and went everywhere with him.

Bespin Luke (and Luke in general) wasn't my favorite...  That was always a Han figure, but I still liked him.  Mine was a hand-me-down and worn out, so I just didn't take to it really for some reason or another.

The latest incarnation of Bespin Luke is indeed a thing of beauty...  I don't yet put it up on a pedastal with others like VOTC/EB Chewie, or VTSC IG-88, but I'd say it's pretty close to that range for me.  The super duper articulation is great on it, and the likeness is fantastic.  I honestly didn't mind the VTSC Luke's headsculpt...  It wasn't really great, but I didn't look at it as attrocious either.  I figured there were far worse anyway.

This figure's improvements with the ball-jointed hips, the better decoration, and the fantastic headsculpt though, are all really vastly better though.  I'm a little torn on the blaster's size.  It's bigger, but not necessarilly inaccurate.  The previous figure's blaster looked nice though, and was a crisper sculpt.  Part of me will miss that.

My only real gripe is the lack of a saber hilt hole.  Luke runs around a bit with that hilt on his belt, so that's disappointing.

I'm really anxious to see Hasbro deliver a battledamaged version of this character (I hope they retool the torso slightly to give him ripped pocket flaps), and like Jayson said, I'd like to see him re-used (partially) for a Dagobah figure.  In particular, I'd like to see him get a new torso/arms, re-use the legs and head, and then a cloth jacket he can put on and leave open.  A truly great Dagobah Luke does not exist IMO, and this figure's a great start to one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 05:39 PM »

My only real gripe is the lack of a saber hilt hole.  Luke runs around a bit with that hilt on his belt, so that's disappointing.

Hmm...unless I'm misunderstanding you, there is a hole on the belt for his hilt (see pic above)

(whoops, hit edit instead of quote)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:31 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:31 PM »

Yes, more stories about Scott's Woody, please.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 08:02 PM »
I'm so happy Hasbro re-did Bespin Luke, I didn't really like the VTAC one too much even when I first bought it.

The resculpt (TVC version) is beyond amazing. It just looks so cool, even when posed without the lightsaber. It's by far my favorite Star Wars action figure to date.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 08:32 PM »

My only real gripe is the lack of a saber hilt hole.  Luke runs around a bit with that hilt on his belt, so that's disappointing.

Hmm...unless I'm misunderstanding you, there is a hole on the belt for his hilt (see pic above)

My figure's got a dent but not a hole drilled there, so I'm going to go drill it now, go figure.  Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Yes, more stories about Scott's Woody, please.

Not till we can all get together somewhere I suppose.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Yeah, great story Scott, I liked that as well.  Bespin Luke is my favorite version of the character as well, much like Bespin Han.  I actually didn't have the vintage figure until later though, and carried the Jedi Luke and Endor Han around the way many of you have memories of the Bespin/Hoth versions.  Still one of my favorite figures from the vintage line too though, I just thought the "Bespin" outfits looked pretty nifty.

As far as the modern figure goes, I agree the latest TVC release is one of my favorites of the line.  Actually, a few of the Lukes we've gotten over the past couple years (Bespin, Snowspeeder, and Resurgence of the Jedi) have been really great.  I know at first many of us were surprised to see a total redo of the pretty nice VTSC figure (aside from the head/height maybe), but it was a great improvement I think.  One of my favorites.