Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154690 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #555 on: November 29, 2022, 12:36 PM »
I haven't caught all of this series yet, but appreciate the breakdown.  I'm more interested to see it now after hearing others' thoughts.  I personally think too many movies and TV shows jump through scenes too quickly to advance the plot.  For example, the old "Luke staring at the sunset" in ANH is one of my favorite scenes of all time.  That tension between following your dreams versus your responsibilities and family commitments is just so well done.  We don't get a lot of that kind of art nowadays and I find myself wishing some scenes would just slow down to show how a character is really feeling versus racing to the next plot point.  However, if the scenes are just extended as time filler or to linger on the lighting elements a little longer, that isn't really getting to what I want either.  If it isn't building on the character's thoughts and feelings to make us care more about them and what they're going through, then it's just extra wasted time.  Hoping to catch up over the break to see how GOTHOTD compares.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 11, 2023, 05:59 PM »
I finished Willow today. 

Overall it was just okay but I thought it was tremendously uneven.  I don't know if they had a totally random set of writers and directors for each show, but the character portrayals were all over the board, and seemed to vary from episode to episode.

There were parts that were really good and parts that were head scratchingly random.

Ultimately I think it could have benefited from a simpler plot, fewer characters, and fewer story arc tangents to get a much sharper focus.

I'm too lazy to do a Google search, but it looked like they shot a lot of this in The Volume that they used for The Mandalorian, although there were some really glaring scenes where the sightlines just didn't hold together very well.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 11, 2023, 08:22 PM »
I really really want to watch Willow but the IMDB score is so low that it’s dropped down on my list…

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #558 on: January 12, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Willow was just disjointed and dumb.  At any point in the show, Willow goes from I'm a wizard to I'm a fraud to I'm a wizard again.  The tone was nothing like the original movie to the point I don't think anyone watched it.

My only hope is that the reason they got Warwick Davis to be in this is because they threw a ton of money at him and he could not turn down that paycheck.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 12, 2023, 01:10 PM »
Willow was just disjointed and dumb.  At any point in the show, Willow goes from I'm a wizard to I'm a fraud to I'm a wizard again. 

A lot of the main characters are like this, which is why I swear they had totally different writers and directors for each episode that never talked to each other.

It appears they're aiming for a season 2 and 3 of this show.  I really hope they either don't do it or they get a whole lot better at writing/directing this show.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2023, 02:39 PM »
My wife and I tried it. She loved the Willow movie as a kid, I didn't see it until my early 20s but still really liked the movie. So we were both pretty excited about the show. We only made it through one episode and it has been about almost two months since we last watched it...

The show felt very generic, unfortunately like much of the big studio fantasy stuff lately. It really didn't seem to capture much of the *ahem* magic of the original movie. We thought about trying to get through it anyways, but after seeing reviews and general reactions we probably won't go back to it.

We'll just happily rewatch White Lotus instead.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #561 on: January 13, 2023, 05:06 PM »
We're watching season 3 of Jack Ryan.  This show is a huge departure from the books, but I do like it.  Probably because they are not trying to adapt any of the novels in this show.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 13, 2023, 11:51 AM »
I just finished Last of Us from HBO.  I never played the video game so I can't comment on its accuracy, etc.  Although reading commentary people seem to like the accuracy, but also the freedom that the writers took to dive deeper in to some areas.

Overall I thought the writing was solid, the acting was really good, the characterization was excellent, and the story arcs all made sense.  It wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but it was solidly entertaining.  My understanding is that there is a season 2 planned too although there really wasn't a cliffhanger so I'm not clear on an overall plot, although I guess there was a part 2 of the video game that the plot is going to follow. 

I know some people seem to fall on both sides of the fence with the characterization of GLBT people in movies, and it sounds like that was the case with Last of Us as well.  I read both gripes and accolades on Last of Us around this.  I for one thought the characterization of GLBT relationships was solid and didn't feel forced.

Their take on "zombies" was also pretty cool and different.  There was a head scratcher in there, but for the most part it was entertaining.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 13, 2023, 12:18 PM »
I loved it. Thought they did an amazing job of keeping it close to game but changing as needed. Maybe could have been a few more infected but really only to silence some of the people really clamoring for that. Can't wait for season 2.

I will barely comment about the GLBT stuff as I otherwise may lose my mind. I thought it was really well done. Episode 3 was beautiful and for God's sake Episode 7 is right out of a DLC for the game (released after the 2nd game came out). You find out Ellie is gay almost immediately in the 2nd game.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:18 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #564 on: March 16, 2023, 04:54 PM »
Having never played the games I thought the series was beautifully done and absolutely riveting. Even though it was a series of emotional gut punches, my wife and I couldn't get enough of it. It really has upped the stakes on what shows/movies based on video games can, and should be.
"This is the way."