Author Topic: Fishtanks  (Read 2298 times)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Fishtanks
« on: September 17, 2003, 03:03 PM »
Anyone have a fish tank?  Something I have always wanted to try and do, problem with living in the middle of nowhere though is that it is hard to get some exotic fish.

Any advice for a newbee?
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Fishtanks
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 03:05 PM »
I have a meager 20 gallon tank, with no fish currently in it. At one time, it was a very nice display. It is quite hard to keep a proper balance of the enviroment for the exotic fish, so I would reccomend reading up on it.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 03:07 PM »
Angel Fish?  Clown Fish?  What did you have Chris Berry?
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 03:36 PM »
If you're interested in fish tankery, and have never had one, I'd highly recomend starting with a small-medium sized freshwater tank. It will give you experience, and a good idea of the maintanance involved. I wouldnt suggest starting out with saltwater (like Angel Fish and Clown Fish and all the other Finding Nemo crew ;) ). Saltwater fish are expensive, very temperamental, and a ***** to maintain. With saltwater fish you have to very closely monitor a lot more chemical levels than you do with freshwater fish.

We used to have a 100 gallon tank, it was beautiful. About 4 feet long, 1 1/2 wide and about 2 1/2 feet tall. We got rid of that a while ago, but now have a really nice looking corner unit, but havent had the time to get it started, so it's just an empty tank in the corner.

After having built quite a few, I'm more inclined to have a pond than an aquarium, although obviously you cant get the same fish. We have about 10 goldfish, 7 or 8 small Koi and 2 really big Koi (about a foot long). They are great to watch, and Koi can be trained to eat from your hand
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 03:50 PM »
If you have a freshwater tank you'll want to get some bottom feeding fish.  They'll help eat up all the algae buildup, and that will decrease your amount of time having to clean the fish tank.

I don't own one myself, but my brother does.  You should definitely research it further, and even ask questions to people at the pet store.
dustrho

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 05:28 PM »
I am a fishaholic. If you have any questions FX-7 feel free to ask.

I currently have a 33 gallon fresh water tank that houses:

1 Black Ghost (Possibley the most exotic fresh water fish I've seen, imo)

1 Bubble Eye (Just plain wacky)

1 Pleco (As Chris said, bottom feeders are great for cleaning, plus they are a pretty cool looking fish

1 Dwarf Frog (Don't do like me and let your wife buy him and put him in a tank with a Ghost or Gold fish, he is a target at all times)

My tips to someone new:

Start small, one or 2 fish maximum.

Try to get a tank at least 20 galoons or more. A bigger tank stays cleaner and healthier, while allowing the fish more room to swim and be "fish".

Do not over feed the fish. 2-3 times a day in small amounts. Most fish won't stop eating untill it runs out. Very important.

Don't buy fish from a store that has a dead fish in the tank, or even worse, multiple dead fish.

When buying, stare at the fish you are interested in and make sure he does not have any white dots on him (looks like salt), if he does he has ich.  A very common fish disease. Can be treated but it's a real pain. Also look out for aggressive fish, trust me you don't want those.

Becareful what fish you put together. For example put more then 2 Angels in an average size tank, and watch them get extreamely aggressive.

Do not buy standard Goldfish or Koi. They will outgrow any tank, are filthy and cause stress (stress allows for disease and eventual death) to other fish. They are suited more for a pond, contrary to what the pet store says, they just want your money.

Clean the tank at least once a every two weeks. Change all the filter medium once every 1-2 months and use a water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine in the water.

This is the bare minimum you need to start:

20 Gallon tank: $50-$100
Water Heater: $15-$40
Power Filter: $25-$50
Food: $5
Gravel: $20-$40
Plants and Rocks: $20-$30
Chlorine Remover $5-$10
Fish $1-$25 (although you could spend hundreds)
Cycle: $5 (helps get the tank ready with helpful bacteria)

I just recommend doing your homework as it is quite an investment in time and money.

Recommended fish that aren't too expensive and are pretty easy to care for, yet look awesome:

Black Moor; while mid to full size can cost up to $35, small young ones can be had for under $8. A mezmerizing fish. All black, and huge, with personality.

Angel: Great fish, but does best when he's the only Angel. $5 for a baby, up to $40 for a very large one.

Plecotomus: The perfect fish in my opinion. Under $10 for a young one. Gets very large.

Rainbow shark: One of my favorites. Not really recommend though. Just damn cool. Do not put with a pleco or other bottom feeders in a small tank.

There is tons more info and tons more fish. Take your time and do some reserch. It is very rewarding if you stick with it.

I'll stop now.  ;D

Shawn

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 06:42 PM »
Great tips Shawn!

Chlorine Remover $5-$10

I just recommend doing your homework as it is quite an investment in time and money.

I'd actually just suggest picking up a 20 gallon starter set, that's available at most discount retail stores (like Target, K-Mart, Walmart, etc.)  They probably have them at some of the major pet stores as well.  You get most of the beginner's necessities (as listed above) all in one fell swoop, and for a lot cheaper.  I've seen decent 20 gallon sets going for anywhere from $50 to $100.

I had a fish tank or two all through college and really enjoyed them.  One of my roommates had a 50 gallon freshwater tank that we had for about 5 years in the house we were all renting.  I have my own 20 gallon one, that's currently stashed away in storage now, but I hope to get it back out now that we've moved and have a lot more room...  I used to have the whole thing decorated in just blue and white - like a winter wonderland.  Looked very cool!  Can't wait to get back at it.

Fish are always an enjoyable and peaceful hobby, and a good way of getting your mind off of the more stressful things of your everyday life...

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 08:56 PM »
Great tips Shawn!

Chlorine Remover $5-$10

I'd actually just suggest picking up a 20 gallon starter set, that's available at most discount retail stores (like Target, K-Mart, Walmart, etc.)  They probably have them at some of the major pet stores as well.  You get most of the beginner's necessities (as listed above) all in one fell swoop, and for a lot cheaper.  I've seen decent 20 gallon sets going for anywhere from $50 to $100.

A damn fine point Matt!

So that leaves you with just getting some gravel and fish, and perhaps Cycle. I find the stuff they give in kits to be a little lacking in some areas (Like a weak power filter), but for a first tank that would be a smart move.
Shawn

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 09:10 PM »
I have a 55 gal. tank full of Guppies and plants and snails.  I've had it since '95 or so but the fish never lived very long.

I'd suggest you start with Guppies, Mollies, or Sword tails.  They have live babies and are easy to take care of.  Also they are the cheapest.

Don't buy anything from Walmart or dept. stores, their fish are always sick and diseased.  Go to a real pet store and pay a little extra, its worth it in the long run.

Honestly, I am considering emptying mine and giving the fish away and using the tank for a figure diorama or something....I'm quite bored with the whole concept of fish but thats up to my parents, I guess they like the fish...

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 09:48 PM »
Start Small and work your way up from there.

Freash H20 is easy (cheap) ... Salt H20 gets trickey (expensive).

I worked at PetSmart for five years and was the head of Aquatics. At one time I was thinking of becoming a Marine Biologist... yeah in Indiana... dreams...
Anyways
I had six tanks in my home at one time (fresh and salt) but the time it takes to properly maintaince them made me cut back. So now I just have one tank until I get my new house. Plus ths cost can get you at first.

If you need any help or have question e-mail me and I will try my best to help you out.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com