Author Topic: NBA 2011-2012  (Read 16710 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2011-2012
« Reply #45 on: June 7, 2012, 09:33 AM »
What I wish would happen:

BOS over OKC
OKC over BOS
OKC over MIA

What I fear is going to happen:

MIA over OKC

Come on, Celtics!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 7, 2012, 10:06 AM »
I'm a huge Heat fan, and I just don't see them winning in Boston tonight.  They look like they've already given up.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think they collectively have the heart.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 7, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Even if they manage to advance, they're just going to get to repeat last year, outmatched by a team from the west.  If OKC can win 4 straight against the Spurs, they can beat Miami.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 7, 2012, 11:04 PM »
I'm a huge Heat fan, and I just don't see them winning in Boston tonight.  They look like they've already given up.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think they collectively have the heart.

Whoops. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 8, 2012, 10:35 AM »

Whoops.

I'm very glad I was wrong.  LeBron put on a performance for the ages last night.  They may need him to do it again to win Game 7.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 8, 2012, 10:41 AM »
I'm very glad I was wrong.  LeBron put on a performance for the ages last night.  They may need him to do it again to win Game 7.

Lebron had a huge game, but 'performance for the ages' is a little strong IMO.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 8, 2012, 01:48 PM »
The numbers he put up last night have only happened one other time in NBA playoff history ... and that was 48 years ago.  Plus, it was an elimination game on the road.  I've been watching NBA basketball for over 30 years, and it's one of the best playoff performances I've ever seen, especially given the circumstances.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I'm starting to think Basketball has become a game where to be the best, you have to master the art of slamming yourself into defenders while making layups at the same time.

Seriously, I don't watch too much Basketball until the Playoffs come around, but Wade and LeBronBron just run into dudes, flip the ball in the air, and collect the easy free throws. 

Good for them, but it seems really obnoxious to me.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22 AM »
Well there's that, and then when you are the best 95% of any close calls go your way.
"This is the way."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I don't like basketball anyway.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2012, 11:44 AM »
I'm starting to think Basketball has become a game where to be the best, you have to master the art of slamming yourself into defenders while making layups at the same time.

Seriously, I don't watch too much Basketball until the Playoffs come around, but Wade and LeBronBron just run into dudes, flip the ball in the air, and collect the easy free throws. 

Good for them, but it seems really obnoxious to me.

That was my biggest problem with things too.  It goes to years back, I used to be a big fan of Wade's, and then there was that first Finals against Dallas.  He basically just did that (ramming in at full speed, making free throws) for the entire series, and hasn't looked back.  Plus, he's picked up Kobe's annoying habit of scowling nonstop and trying to look like a bad ass.

I'm probably in the minority, but LeBron doesn't bother me that much.  Sure, his way of leaving Cleveland was pretty crappy, but at least he's admitted to that since then and has pretty much seemed like the model player all season.  The rest of the Heat team annoys me to no end though, and I can see why some have problems with James too as he is so overpowering sometimes.

Add in the fact that I've become a big fan of the Thunder over the past few years.  I like that their team has pretty much been built with their own draft picks, the crowd is so supportive and their enthusiasm is infectious.  If they keep things together, they'll have more chances, but it is disappointing they couldn't pull things out (or at least made a series of things).

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 4, 2012, 02:54 AM »
Anyone still following hoops in the offseason?  I was pretty surprised to see D-Will re-sign with the Nets tonight, despite their acquisitions of (overrated) Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace.  I figured he'd only stick around if they locked up Dwight Howard, which sounds a bit less likely now.  It's gonna be interesting to see where the big guy winds up now, if anywhere.  If the Nets somehow pull off a miracle swap for him still, that could make the East pretty interesting next year.  I'm praying the Heat don't land Ray Allen as well.  LeBron finally won a championship in large part to their outside shooting in the Finals, so adding Allen into the mix makes me nervous, even if Mike Miller retires.  Sounds like the Celts may nab Jason Terry if Ray Allen bolts, which would finally revitalize their bench.  Odom finding his way back to L.A. should give the Clips bench a big boost too, assuming he's back to being of sound mind of course.  I'm still waiting to see if the Wolves can make a play for Pau too.  He'd be a good fit alongside Love and Rubio, though having two of those "soft" Spaniards on the same team could be trouble.

I can't stand this element of the game nowadays either, especially as it relates to LeBron and a few others.  Fortunately he didn't aggravate me as much as usual during the Finals, as he managed to do a good amount of damage from outside of 3 feet (and the free throw line) for a change.  That, and all the ridiculous flopping and flailing after every jumpshot - just pathetic.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2012, 03:00 AM by SpIrIt Of MaCe »
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 6, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Welcome to South Beach, Ray.  :D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: July 7, 2012, 12:40 AM »
Think Brandon Roy has anything left?  I don't...ugh

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 7, 2012, 09:16 AM »
Think Brandon Roy has anything left?  I don't...ugh

If his knees can hold up; yes.  Of course, that's a huge "if", but he's an All-Star caliber player, he's young, and he took last season off.  If they manage his minutes and the fan base's expectations, he could be a huge asset.  I like what they're doing in Minnesota.  And Kevin Love is one of my favorite players not wearing a Heat jersey.