Author Topic: SDCC 2011  (Read 46870 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2011
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Overall, I was underwhelmed this year. Sure, the vintage packaging stuff was cool, but only seeing a couple of new figures in the display case and seeing only TPM figures as the 2012 tease, pretty disappointing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2011, 09:16 AM »
So where is all the exclusive swag at HTS this morning? They don't even have a teaser up yet!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17 AM »
New speeder bike in 2012 according to GH

Thank our own Bikerscout1 for asking that question and getting it confirmed.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2011, 09:32 AM »
I have to say, I kind of agree with Jeff. At this point, Jar Jar is so lame I kind of laugh at how lame he is. Don't get me wrong, I'm still rolling my eyes, but I'm not as angry about him as I am with Anakin...I hate that little bastard!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Agreed, totally.

I've hated Ani far more than I ever disliked Jar Jar in that movie.  Ani was such an unnecessary character in it even.  And annoying as all get out.

Like has been said before...  Make Episode 2's plot and time-frame the start of the prequals.  Make that when they introduce/find Ani (helping to push the, "too old to train" stuff from ESB)...  That's just a smarter use of that character to me, and would've avoided all the "Yippee!" crap.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Agreed. Also make Count Dooku Obiwan's master instead of Qui-Gon. That would mirror Anakin turning to the darkside later.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59 PM »
I always felt that he was trying mirror ANH with TPM....

Qui Gon = Ben Kenobi - both die at the end
Obi-Wan = Han Solo - the more "mature" hero
Anakin = Luke - the wide-eyed younger hero
Amidala = Leia - the heroic female
Jar Jar = Chewbacca - the non-human in the party bound by a life debt to a member of the party

If Anakin had been Luke's age and Jar Jar had been the quiet exiled warrior who had been banished for leading forces on the loosing side of a Gungan civil war, the overall plot of TPM would have worked MUCH better IMHO.

Move the events of TPM closer to AOTC and have the Sith Apprentice be Count Dooku from the beginning - as much as folks like Darth Maul, he was ultimately a distraction.

With this change up you get the added bonus of initially the Jedi thinking that Dooku is the Sith Master when he reveals to Qui Gon and Obi-Wan that he's a Sith and that deflects from any suspicions that might have existed regarding Palpatine and it's not until Dooku is killed that he reveals himself to be the Sith Lord pulling the strings all along.

So at the end of EP1, just have Dooku defeat his former apprentice (the reverse of what happens in ANH where the apprentice defeats his former master) and Obi-Wan force Dooku to flee. With Anakin being older and an accomplished pilot (as already established by Obi-Wan in EP6), it makes putting him a Naboo fighter make all that much more sense and the fact that his latent force powers helps him win the day (again just like Luke did with the Death Star) and that is what ultimately convinces Obi-Wan to start training him.

All of the rest of the plots could have flowed from that point on. Dooku could have still moved on to forming the Confederacy. Palpatine/Sidious could have still played both sides. The Clone Army could have been something that they started working on in the past as a part of their grand plan. Palpatine could/would have still been elected Supreme Chancellor out of sympathy for the fact that his system was invaded.

I'm not saying that that re-write is the be-all/end-all awesome plot, but it at least helps get rid of the over-the-top kiddie elements that even my 8 year old son at the time thought were ridiculous.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Jar Jar was useless to the movie. Oh, he leads the two Jedi to the Gungans, who loan them a sub to go to Theed.  Most of which was filler, really. It was like the KING KONG remake taking 45 minutes to get to Skull Island...we all know they are going to  get to the island...they have to,  or no big gorilla.

Qui-Gon Jin may have been an unneeded character. Make a full fledged knight Obi-Wan find Anakin, and thus he bears the great blame for the Republic's fall. Proof in point how unneeded two Jedi were....while Qui-Gon is in Mos Espa....Obi-Wan does almost nothing for all that time. It would be like having ANH character who stays on the Falcon the whole time they are on the Death Star.

This all belongs in another forum.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2011, 11:17 PM »
This is all pretty much in another section here, actually.  I know I've had this conversation with everyone before.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2011, 11:21 PM »
This is all pretty much in another section here, actually.  I know I've had this conversation with everyone before.  ;D

Very true.

You know, I'm really looking forward to the day after Geoge Lucas has passed on and someone at LucasFilm has taken over and decided that any and every Star Wars story should be made into a movie and as grumpy old men we sit around talking about how awesome the original six movies were when compared to the 20+ that had come out since Lucas' death...  :-\
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Y'know, I thought that B-Wing Pilot looked familiar.

And...they didn't even show any new Clone Wars figures.

Total bummer.  On the other hand, I've got my "Lost" Raiders figures coming home with a friend soon.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com