Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181607 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2012, 09:02 PM »
This pic from the blog confuses me:

Why is there two blue bodies?  One looks just like R3-M3 from the original BAD, and the second, lighter blue looks new.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2012, 11:50 PM »
My friend Kevin Yee has pictures of the build a droid booth over at WDW. It's basically lots of bins of parts.
It costs $11.95 to make one droid, or $18.95 for two.

http://ultimateorlando.blogspot.com/2012/05/droid-factory-now-open-in-tattoine.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=kevin+yee

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:51 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2012, 11:55 PM »
Oooooo...thanks for posting!

The display is smaller, and the selection weaker than I would have guessed.  There's a real lack of bodies on display, and some are missing altogether.  I think our boy Pete is going to wipe them out.  Hopefully he can get the manager or whomever to go in the back and bring out some fresh boxes to fill out his purchases!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2012, 01:27 AM »
Weird...  it looks like a hardware store.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2012, 06:42 AM »
Wow - that picture makes me think this is gonna suck. LOL

Hopefully there are bags/boxes of stock to replenish these bins and when I explain how many I'm looking to buy - they let me draw from those instead.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32 AM »
My experience with Disney is there is always more in the back. I've seen it at a point where one thing bought and the CM immediately fill the spot. The mouse will not turn down a buck.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2012, 10:03 AM »
My experience with Disney is there is always more in the back. I've seen it at a point where one thing bought and the CM immediately fill the spot. The mouse will not turn down a buck.

Ultimately, that is my hope - considering how much I'm looking to buy, they will "magically" find a lot of the parts I'm looking for.

I'm trying to remain as optimistic as possible right now, I'll let everyone know much later today whether that optimism won out or not.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2012, 10:30 AM »

Ultimately, that is my hope - considering how much I'm looking to buy, they will "magically" find a lot of the parts I'm looking for.

I'm trying to remain as optimistic as possible right now, I'll let everyone know much later today whether that optimism won out or not.

Good luck Pete!  Are you planning to buy a boat load of extras for the group or just trying to get one of each kind on your own?  Sounds like an expensive endeavor either way...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2012, 02:51 PM »
So Pete is in Disney about to get all up in the Mouse's business.

Poor Mickey...
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Im waiting for the list. I am just after what ever turns out to be a basic set, the three domws that are exclusive to the park and maybe one additional.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Ok so here is my preliminary report.... I'm gonna write up something proper later tonight. I'm on my phone so please excuse any typos.

First the bad: no R6, R8 or R9 domes, the R3w/Red was also MIA. They ran out of black right legs before I got there, so that made things limiting. The park employees were sympathetic to the problem, but could do nothing to help. Nor were they willing to take "cash for their troubles" and get me parts/droids at a later date. So I only ended up with 13 unique droids out of my desired 26.

The good: the staff was very friendly and happy to help. They were helping me throughout the entire time, grabbing parts that I needed from the other side of the bench, holding the droids behind the counter, etc...

The set up is very cramped, you can barely fit two people at the workstation and it's configured for two people to be building at the same time. You have to wait in line to get to the station, but there were more onlookers than actual people looking to buy.

Parts are shipped in assortment bags, kind of like legos based on how one team member described it to me. The problem is that the colors are all mixed and YES some pieces could be considered "chase" - for example she said that if a bag of right legs has 5 white w/blue markings but only one or two of the black w/silver. (I'll pause for a second while everyone reading this groans)

The shortage of the all-blue and all-black right legs was compounded by the fact that apparently they received twice as many left leg bags as right leg ones.

The did tell me they get new parts every day, so my hope is that when I'm there first thing tomorrow morning, there are more all black right legs in stock.

More in a bit, my cell phone battery is dying...
Peter

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27 PM »
Naming your droid: this isn't as "cool" as I thought it would be - essentially you get a sticker sheet with white letters/numbers/symbols on a black background and you do-it-yourself. I didn't waste any time with this, I got 24 sheets to cover all my 2-packs, the sets I grabbed for others. There are anywhere from two to seven of each letter/number/symbol on the sheet, with X, Y, & Z getting only 2 appearances each, while the dash character stick is in there seven times. There are five Rs in case you were wondering.

I'm going to rest a bit and head back to the park. When I get back tonight I'll have pictures of the droids I built and of the Tatooine Traders store.
Peter

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Thanks for the news! 

For the moment, I'll leave aside the insanity of short-packing parts for a product that is only available at a single location in the entire world.  Like that's really going to keep all us consumers coming back day-after-day to get what we're looking for. 

The unequal number of legs has got to be some sort of early-run mishap.  I can see why they're doing these in jumble-bags, but they are seriously running the risk of the giant pile-o-R2-D2 parts with no room left for those new rare parts. 

Well, hopefully they'll be popular enough for an expansion, both in the store, and to California.  I just hope that they see a positive with the display, rather than a headache.  I can't imagine they will want to have to permanently station a droid attendant on the floor.

The naming thing sounds very tedious.  Nice of them to just give out sheets so you can do it later rather than clogging the line.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:30 PM by Hobbie »

Offline ZevZev

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Galactic hunter has some pics up for the parts bins.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Just went through Star Tours one last time before the park closed. Got some more pics of the workbench w/o anyone obstructing the view - I will be sending them to Jeff shortyl...
Peter