Author Topic: 2017 Hasbro Star Wars Fan Figure Vote  (Read 33144 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Hasbro Star Wars Fan Figure Vote
« Reply #135 on: May 4, 2017, 03:38 PM »
I think the problem is that with polls like this, it's going to get the EU vote most of the time because it's a rare thing anymore to get an EU figure without winning a fan poll.  Maybe they figure Hasbro's more likely to do Sim Aloo over an EU character so fans go that route.  I don't know it's conjecture on my part.

I'm glad that those that want her are getting her, but she doesn't mean anything to me since I don't read the comics and books anymore.  Just not enough time or interest anymore.  To some, that probably makes me not a "real fan" but whatever.  I enjoy what I enjoy.

I do hope that Hasbro revamps subsequent fan polls though.  It's rather disheartening that half of the top six choices were disallowed with no reason whatsoever given by Hasbro... and they were, what?, 3 of the top 4?  Next time (if there is one), Hasbro should specifically state which characters are allow and which aren't.  Maybe give a reason, or not.  Or as someone said, maybe Hasbro should put all of the figures on their parking lot and vote from there.  Or do a tournament?  Or do a rotation in media so there is diversity in the selections (OT one year, PT next year, EU next, ST year 4, Stand-alones, year 5)... that way everyone is placated.

Oh well, one can "hope" (Rebellions are built on hope)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 4, 2017, 04:58 PM »
Not surprised, still disappointed. Are all those people who voted for her really going to buy an action figure? I get the appeal of a never before released figure, but there so still so many from TFA and R1 that ultimately matter more IMO.

Oh well, happy to have gone down swinging for Sim.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #137 on: May 7, 2017, 11:54 AM »
I know I'm in the old-fart category of Star Wars collectors at this point, but I'm not that old, and I'm really disappointed that the winner is some weird new EU character that I'd literally never heard of.  I don't know her story, but the character design is beyond boring.  A woman in a vest with a weird helmet... yay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to lose sleep or anything, but I've been wanting a new Sim Aloo for nearly 20 years now... so as far as collecting disappointment goes, this is up there.

Hopefully Hasbro puts the runners up on their to-do list.

Yeah, but she's got a tattoo sleeve and goggles, so you know she's fierce. The whole character reminds me of this.

(this is nothing against tattoo sleeves, by the way, just the contrived way they're used to "attitude up" a character.)

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: May 7, 2017, 12:25 PM »
(this is nothing against tattoo sleeves, by the way, just the contrived way they're used to "attitude up" a character.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz42g2fTsMY
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 8, 2017, 12:21 PM »
So, what really happened here is that Hasbro wanted to make Aphra and hyped her up by making her seem like a "Fan Favorite" with this goofy poll.  The six characters included were not the six from the fan sites and there's really no way to track who is driving up the % on any given figure.  If you were Hasbro, would you make any of these other bit characters that a handful of loyal buyers might purchase?  Or would you push for a new comic character that could drive cross purchasing between figures and books, further enable the push for female heroes, and maybe even lead to added mediums down the road if she sells well?  The only other possible choice was Ahsoka, since they could just re-pack the WMBS version to do this on the cheap.  I submit to you that the other four options were never really options at all.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 8, 2017, 01:12 PM »
So Disney owns Marvel, and Disney owns Star Wars.  So maybe some big shot at Disney/Marvel/Star Wars twisted a few arms at Hasbro to get the poll to work out in their favor for some free cross promotion.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: May 8, 2017, 01:40 PM »
The only other possible choice was Ahsoka, since they could just re-pack the WMBS version to do this on the cheap.

It would have been hilarous watching the reaction if Ahsoka had won and Hasbro had done exactly that and just re-issued VC102 Ahsoka

The "that's her Clone Wars outfit, not Rebels" cries could have fallen on the same deaf ears that gave us another black jumpsuit Mara Jade when the vote winner was supposed to be her Jedi outfit. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender