Author Topic: Best of 2012?  (Read 7296 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Best of 2012?
« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2013, 06:41 PM »
I'd say a lot of the same on my list except best figure of 2012...  My list goes like so:

-Best Figure: Death Star trooper...  To me, a long overdue army builder, tried twice and failed both times (I can deal with the 2007 one, but he takes work and work sucks).  The new one is really exquisite.  The skirt flexes so he is totally poseable, he has a working holster, the helmet's great, he's nice and generic unlike so many Rebels anymore, and he's a perfect height.  His flaws are he's $10 a pop and shipped one-per-case in only one case this year, and it's a case riddled with TPM figures.  I've found a couple lately and it's really great and wish I had about 100 more.

Never saw that one at retail, never found him on Amazon for less than $25.  I stopped looking a few weeks ago, but he went down as the only figure I couldn't find this year. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 7, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Clone Wars edition, such a lackluster year doesn't really justify a separate thread, sadly:

BEST CARDED FIGURE: Scuba Ahsoka, by default since this was the only remotely interesting new figure released this year. It's a great likeness, but the articulation sucks. Darth Maul was actually a better figure but I'll split hairs here since that was not a signle carded offering.

BEST VEHICLE: The Republic Dropship by default. We only got 3 mini-vehicles all year anyway, and the one with Anakin was a little boring (please re-release in original paint apps) and the scuba set was just painted so godawful terribly I can't give it any sort of praise.

BEST EXCLUSIVE/MULTIPACK: Darth Maul Returns, cause it was either this or that BP with the three clone repaints, and what is exciting about that?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2013, 11:56 AM »
Despite the availability issues, the figures were pretty great this year so that makes it tough to narrow it down.  Thank goodness for online retailers, right?  Anyways...

Best Figure(s) - Nikto Guard, Kithaba, ANH Darth Vader, Imperial Navy Commander, Dr. Evazan, Luke Skywalker - Hoth (despite some flaws), Lando Calrissian - Skiff/Sandstorm, Princess Leia - Bespin, CW Trio (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka), Royal Guard, Nien Nunb, Weequay, Lumat, Prune Face (pretty much that entire last wave I guess).  Hard to pick just one, but I'd probably have to give it to one of the skiff goons - all were great.  That Vader is probably my favorite so far though too.

Best Vehicle - For me, it is hands down the Speeder Bike as well.  One that many of us have wanted updated for awhile, plus it is one of my favorite things (the scout and bike) of the OT.  Plus, it was pretty easy to find (our store still has some), and with sales and everything I think I'm currently sitting at four, but I've thought about getting more.

Best Exclusive - The K-Mart two packs.  We don't have a K-Mart nearby, but thanks to some help I was able to get these and they really were nifty.  I always wanted the AT-ST stealin' rascals, and the AT-ST Drivers were nifty as well.  Add in the vinty packaging, quite nice.

Best Multipack - I'd have to go with the TRU Ewok pack.  An actual decent value (especially if you hit a sale), and nice ewoks all around.  Plus, the opportunity to change things up and have different versions is even better.  All the ewok goodness this year has made me want to track down a vintage ewok playset just to display them all on.  Maybe someday.

Overall, despite the massive distribution issues, it was a really good year for figures/toys I thought.  Hard to get (and pricey) to be sure, but the figures themselves are really quite well done.  I had to look over the list of things again, and although some aren't as stellar as others, they really aren't any total stinkers in the bunch.  I hope the quality stays this high in the future (and the price doesn't go any higher). :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Yeah I tried not to think of the availability issues when I was making my list up, but it was hard not to.  It was, in many ways, the only flaw on some figures.  Like some of Jabba's goons or whatnot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Best Figure
For Vintage, it has to be the Old Republic Trooper. Great gear, cool paint apps, detailed sculpt, and overall just a fresh take on the trooper design. Clone Wars Commander Cody was the best figure from that sub-line, but then again the competition was pretty terrible. I can't believe I'm about to do this... but I have to give a nod to Movie Heroes for the light-up figures, specifically Darth Vader. While Obi and Qui-Gon have great sculpts, it's tough to beat the classic Vader with the bright red saber.

Best Vehicle
This one is tough. The MTT and Wal-Mart Vulture Droid are both very cool, but I was able to get both at around half-price. Had I paid full price, I probably wouldn't be mentioning them. For full price items, the Republic Submarine and Dropship mini-rigs come to mind. I really wish the Naboo fighter had made it out though, as that was my most anticipated vehicle of the year. If I ever get one I'll probably end up editing this part of my post.

Best Exclusive
TRU Speeder Bike, hands-down. Great sculpt, awesome accessories (including the stand! Awesome!), and a brand new pack-in Biker Scout. That's hard to beat. While the price was a bit steep, the availability and frequency of sales more than made up for that.

Best Multipack
K-Mart 2-packs were ultimately my favorites from this year, though the Darth Maul Returns and Royal Starship Droids Battle Packs were close runners-up. All of the sets had great figures and were priced fairly, but the K-Mart sets win for having all new characters.

Overall it was a pretty lackluster year, and looking back it feels like it lasted for an eternity toy-wise. While nearly every figure in the Vintage Collection was a great one, it was hard to get excited since the line was such a pain in the ass to track down. The Movie Heroes and Clone Wars each had a few good items, but high prices and terrible distribution killed the enjoyment all-around. I would say maybe this year will be better... but let's face it, it probably can (and will) be worse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2013, 11:13 PM »
TOR Trooper is a great choice, I must say. He loads you up on gear, and different ways to configure said gear so he's a unique trooper.

I could use a good 30 more of him, happily.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77