Author Topic: 6 Inch Figures?  (Read 46881 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Inch Figures?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 11:51 PM »
I don't know.  To me, my collecting space is limited...  I'm picky and it's ever-evolving, and as it evolves it looks more cluttered I've found, so I actually look for ways to pair it down, not make it worse.

Exactly. Can I squeeze a chunk of 6" figures in somewhere?  Probably with some effort.  But like most people here my collection is already crammed with 4" stuff.  Another 4" Vader would fit right in with the shelving I use or in some 4"dioramma I have going. 

A 6" figure requires it's own space the way I'm displaying things or it would look ridiculously out of place, so if I'm in I'm probably going in for a shelf worth of stuff.  I already have existing stuff boxed away that I could put in that space, so starting another line just isn't motivating for me (especially at an estimated $100 per six figs).  A new scale would make an easy jumping off point for many collectors.  I'm sure Hasbro is wise to that.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52 PM »
A retail price point of no higher than $15 would be ideal for me. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 07:52 AM »
I won't buy into a new scale like that of basically the same figures we have, just larger.  I want what's left to be made in 3.75" and to see an improvement on what's out there already.

And I can't say I didn't see this coming if it pans out.  :-X

In Hasbro's 6" line for Marvel, they are on wave 3 or 4 now and already out of maybe 20-25 figures have made a good handful that have not been made in the 3 3/4" scale which has been around 4 years longer than the 6" scale.

Just off the top of my head they made 6" Fantomex, Hyperion, Red She Hulk, Protector, Dani Moonstar, Arnim Zola, Terrax.  I just wish they'd finish what they started in the 3 3/4" scale before they make those characters in a completely new line in a different scale.

What they did with Fantomex is equivalent to putting the Tonnika Sisters in Wave 1 of a new 6" scale of Star Wars figures.

Tell me we couldn't get at least 100 dorks together and go picket outside a Chinese factory. 
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19 AM »
If it was focused on the OT, I'd probably be in.  I really liked the Wal Mart exclusive Avengers figures in the 6in scale last summer.  I still picked up the 4in figures, though.

I would rather the resources go this concept than Star Wars Battle Squinkies, Angry Birds, Transformer Cross-overs, Bend Ems, Animated or Prequel crap.

But that is just me.  I don't display my stuff like most of you guys do.  I hide my stuff in a few boxes in the bottom of a closet.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 11:47 AM »
BOOM!

Here is the first figure...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/29/hasbro-star-wars-black-series-action-figure-toys/1872035/

and news on the 3 3/4 inch scale:

The current "vintage"-style line of 3¾ figures will also continue under the Black Series banner.

but then this makes me cringe:

"Our focus here is the adult collector, the dad," DePriest says. "We know they have their own generation of youngsters they like to share the adventure with. It can be something for dad, and the 3¾ world can be something for the kids to share."

aka, the 3 3/4 possibly turning into 5 points of articulation garbage, like we are seeing Hasbro do with Spiderman/GI Joe/etc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:51 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Let's keep this thread about the general 6" line and move the 3.75" news to the "Future of SW Thread" since it's about to get crazy in here, I think.  ;)

Back to the 6" - Luke looks great...  but $20 each?  I think I'd rather have the $160 instead of the 8 figures.  :-X

Also, I like how they say the new line will focus on the Original Trilogy... but then Darth Maul is in the first wave. :P

"The first wave of four, due out in early to mid-August, includes Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing Fighter flight suit, fan-favorite droid R2-D2, bad guy Darth Maul and an Imperial Sandtrooper."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:05 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 12:05 PM »
I was wondering the same thing Jeff - I wonder if it's a typo and the author really means "Darth Vader"...

I'm sure we'll see for sure in two weeks.

I think the Luke looks good - but not $20 good. Like I said in my earlier post, I am definitely not interested in collecting these. So I won't be collecting the "Black Series" (what a horrible name).
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 12:09 PM »
This is what makes me cringe:

"The Black Series appeals to those newbies who want to start a series from the start as well as those hardcore collectors who gobble up anything having to do with the words "Jedi" or "Empire" and "are looking for something new and their interest isn't as piqued by the 15th cantina alien we have yet to do," DePriest says. "We realize folks want their iconic characters delivered up in a new way."

I don't want my iconic characters delivered in a new way, and my interest IS piqued by the 15th Cantina alien, because WHY HAVEN'T YOU MADE THEM ALL BY NOW ANYWAY? It's been 36 years!

Oy vey.

I'm pretty sure Marvel Legends are cheaper than $20 a piece too.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Don't worry McMetal - the more I think about it - even Hasbro KNOWS this line is doomed to failure and are probably making it to appease to their new masters at Disney.

When the first wave of four figures are still sitting on the pegs collecting dust come January 2014, they'll say that "We realize folks really didn't want their iconic characters delivered up in a new way, so we're once again focusing on what has been the backbone of the Star Wars collecting universe - the 3.75" scale."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:31 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Again with the Sandtrooper? Someone at Hasbro really had a thing for them.

The figure looks nice. But also showcases a reason why I don't do 6" figures. Pilot Luke there will never have anything to fly. Sure that's not a point for most people. I still operate under the premise that I'd like to fly Luke around in his ship even if I don't do that much anymore.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 01:12 PM »
The X-Wing Pilot Luke looks okay.  But then, we've only seen 2 publicity stills of that so far.  I want to see more.

As for the line?  I hope that EACH release of every character (scene specificity excluded) is DEFINITIVE.  I would really hate to see figures issued that clearly have room for improvement, leaving Hasbro an opening to offer a new, improved version of the same character 4 years down the line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I think that this looks fantastic.  10 years ago I would have passed on it, but at this point I say bring it on.  As I said before, I'm totally committed to the 3 3/4 line, but if it mostly becomes repacks, or resclupts of figures that are already well done, there's not much there for me.

If Luke X-Wing looks this good (his hips and legs look a bit wide) R2 is going to be really fun.  Personally, I bet they don't end up doing more that 20-25 of these.  In a few years it will be a footnote, but I think it's a cool one.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 01:39 PM »

I don't want my iconic characters delivered in a new way, and my interest IS piqued by the 15th Cantina alien, because WHY HAVEN'T YOU MADE THEM ALL BY NOW ANYWAY? It's been 36 years!

I hear what you are saying, and I want that cantina dude as well.  But if they aren't going to make them, I'd rather something like this, than just a new 3.75 Luke X-Wing.
If I had to choose, and they were making both, yes I would go with a new cantina dude.  We'll see...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Hmm... I want to pass on all of this, as I have no room for a new scale, but I'll probably wind up snagging a few as impulse purchases. $20 a pop though... that's a DVD/Blu-Ray I'd be much happier adding to my collection. Or an old video game.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Back to the 6" - Luke looks great...  but $20 each?  I think I'd rather have the $160 instead of the 8 figures.  :-X

I agree.  I wish the price point were a bit lower.  We're expected to pay about twice as much for 2" (that's what she said)?  Wow!

Also, I like how they say the new line will focus on the Original Trilogy... but then Darth Maul is in the first wave. :P

R2 could possible have his PT booster rocket glory.