Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 72885 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 01:39 PM »
The XBox One has been announced. Pictures and other information are at Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/microsoft-unveils-its-next-game-console-the-tktk/
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Awesome name for Microsoft's third xbox...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12 PM »
Here is a picture of the unit. I think the 360 was better looking. At least the controller isn't radically different.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50 PM »
The most interesting announcement, for me, was the live-action Halo show by Spielberg.  But it sounds like you'll need the Xbox One to watch it?  I don't know, I missed some of the info, I'm at work.

Still, the name? Blah.  It's like MS isn't even trying...or actively trying to make their **** less interesting.  I'm sorry, but I've been able to watch plenty of TV and interface with online social media without ever owning a console so why did that seem to be the big selling points today?

I don't play enough console games to know if this is all stuff people wanted, but most of my friends that game a lot just want a fast system with kickass games and don't care for all the extra stuff.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Yeah the extra peripheral **** seems to be too important to the people making consoles...  I just want good games, amazing graphics, great gameplay/stories...  that's all.  I don't need a BR player, or the ability to hook up to Twitter...  I just want to play games.

I like how it looks, and the name?  Eh, who cares...  I'm anxious to play a demo one at a store is all.  I still call my X-Box 360 the X-Box...  This too, shall just be called the X-Box if I buy it.  The rest is so unimportant it's not worth caring about.

Live action HALO has my attention too Eric, so I'm anxious about that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 05:09 PM »
I'm not sure that I like the idea of paying a small fee for used games. If I buy a used game from game stop, I have to pay Microsoft to activate it. This makes me worried since games are tied to an individual live account. What happens if your live account is banned for something stupid? Then you loose your entire software library even if you own the physical discs!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08 PM »
All I use my game systems for are games (duh), DVDs/movies and Netflix... no need for Twitter or Skype or any of that other lame stuff. Not big on Kinect either. I keep my systems in my relatively small bedroom. No room to stand up and jump around or anything like that.

Big meh overall... I'll wait a few years for discounts and such. Then again I only buy 2-3 games a year anyway so I'm just not in the target demographic.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #22 on: June 7, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Details on the One's always online requirements and restrictions on used games:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2273430/microsoft-confirms-always-on-xbox-one-requirements

So your console bricks if it doesn't ping Microsoft every 24 hours.  Won't impact most people, but anybody on dial-up is screwed.

I'm sure GameStop is dancing in the streets over being given pretty much complete control over used games.  eBay sales of used games are impossible.  You can loan games to a friend ONCE as long as they've been on your friends list 30 days.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 7, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I really like how they assume everyone with an Xbox One will have a broadband connection.  I saw some comments on another site covering this and the people there pretty much said that if you're too poor to have a broadband connection you shouldn't have an Xbox anyway, completely ignoring that fact that there are still a lot of places in the US where you can't get broadband even if you wanted it.  Unless, maybe, you can get satellite.

We have people in our service area here in upstate NY that don't have access to it because it's so rural that Time Warner won't build out their service and Verizon doesn't have COs close enough to provide DSL...hell, Verizon doesn't even have FIOS in that many areas here yet.

I'm assuming Playstation will have similar requirements on some of the used games and whatnot, but the new Microsoft policies are crap and I'm hoping it completely backfires on them...sort of like Windows 8.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 7, 2013, 12:19 PM »
What a gigantic blunder this is turning into.  Sony has a chance to wipe the floor with MS by just dumping these draconian ideas they are talking about.  Trouble is that I doubt Sony is smart enough to see anything but the small pile of cash that may be obscuring the mountain of cash behind it.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #25 on: June 7, 2013, 12:47 PM »
From what I've read, the PS4 will allow for some restrictions at the publisher's discretion.  So if EA wants to force you to be online or activate the game they can, but it's their option.  With the Xbox it's mandatory for all games.

Hopefully the publishers who do opt to enact restrictions on the PS4 see a precipitous decline in software sales which prompts them to abandon the idea.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 7, 2013, 02:49 PM »
I'm not onboard with any of this crap.  I want a video game system that plays games and Blu-rays.  I don't want gestures, voice commands, advertising, television integration, social media... none of it.

Just put a disc in it, and play.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Price announced:  $499.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 04:08 PM »
I like the gasp from the audience when they said that.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Between the price and the inability to buy/sell used games, I think they are in big trouble.  It looks like PS4 should easily outsell Xbox 1.  However, I'm sure each platform has its fanboys so only time will tell.