Author Topic: 2018: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 113311 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2020: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #345 on: January 1, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Another year in the books. Can it really be 25 years since the launch of modern Star Wars? I, like others here, have accumulated a LOT of stuff in that time. As I say every year, looking to unload more, collect a little less, and condense down. It makes it more and more difficult with so many nostalgia/80s lines on the way. Hereís what Iím looking at for 2020:

Star Wars

Vintage Collection - probably most, or at least anything new or OT based
Black Series - probably quite a bit here too, this line is really hitting its stride now

Marvel Legends

More selective here. They are amazing looking, but just a lot to keep up with. Iím a sucker for classic stuff, and try to keep up on new MCU stuff as well.

Transformers

I ended up getting back into Transformers with the Siege line, which were great, and it looks like a lot of great stuff on the way with the next version, Earthrise. I go for original ďarcĒ bots

MOTU Origins

Mattelís new line, I know Iíll probably be in. Reasonably priced and seem to be nicely done.

The only other thing off hand is if we get some sort of return of classic GI Joes with the Snake Eyes movie later this year. Iíd be in for some 6Ē Joes (or 3 3/4Ē if it returns)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2018: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #346 on: January 2, 2020, 09:56 PM »
My list is pretty much the same as last year. We never did get those 2 Bandai PR2 figures, or the McFarlane Steve, so no closure there.

Star Wars- still grappling with keeping up on the 6Ē stuff. I still havenít picked up the SDCC exclusives or the Disney sets yet. I often feel like I would like to jump ship on these, but that would pretty much be the end of my SW collecting unless they make any more animated stuff.

Lanard- definitely getting all the new Alien stuff which is totally awesome, would really like to complete my Primal Clash collection too if possible. Will probably grab some of the Time Crisis stuff that is new.

Jurassic World- this is another line I probably should not be getting deeper and deeper into but so far I havenít been able to quit cold turkey.

Super 7- really hoping to cut back here too, the prices have just gotten prohibitive recently. These are the worst too because I keep nearly all of their stuff carded so it is difficult to display in any way and space is always a premium.
A characterís face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 4, 2020, 11:22 PM »
DUST - What me and my collecting collects.

If they make MOTU Origins Mer-Man and he doesn't stink*, I might get him.

*Until his mold is used to make Stinkor  ;)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 14, 2020, 02:44 PM »
My list won't be much different from past years, but I'll make a new write-up anyway because it's fun reading back through these posts!

For 2020:

Star Wars - I'm pretty behind on Hasbro 6 inch figures and am sort of picky. I did pretty much stop buying 4 inch figures, and even sold some off recently! (I still have a TON that I want to get rid of, so if you need anything, let me know and I'll see if I have it!). I am still all in on the Bandai SH Figuarts figures from Japan, though a lot of the Hasbro figures are starting to blow them out of the water in terms of likeness and paint/sculpting.

LEGO - I continue buying LEGO Star Wars sets at deep discounts but I don't know how much longer I can last. The prices for LEGO are getting to the point where I would need to choose to either collect all LEGO or none at all in order to have a complete collection. I plan on selling off my non Star Wars sets (Marvel, DC, City, etc) pretty soon here.

Marvel Legends - Don't think I bought any in 2019. I have a small assortment of Spider-Man and X-Men comic/90s themed figures. I want to track down the Vintage Storm and Professor X.

Medicom MAFEX Marvel and DC - Another Japanese line I've gone all in on with their Marvel and DC lines. I have Spider-Man and Venom, and am waiting on Jim Lee Wolverine, and Jim Lee Cyclops comes out soon too. I have Carnage on preorder, along with Batman and Superman based on their appearances in Hush. This line is AMAZING, and I'd gladly sell all of my Hasbro Marvel Legends to support it. I just wish these weren't so expensive.

DC Collectibles Batman TAS - I put this every year and still never find anything new in local comic stores, and prices have skyrocketed online. I bought Two Face last year, but that was because I got a $15 credit on Amazon and it cut the price in half. Even the sales keep the figures pretty pricy, going from $28 to $20-22. I guess they're relaunching it with the "The Adventures Continue" line this year, so I'll check some of that out, especially if they rerelease stuff I missed out on (for instance, Joker and Harley Quinn look to be direct rereleases of past figures with better paint).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2020, 02:55 PM »
Nothing has really changed for me except that I need to cut something out... We're shopping for a new home now and I'm finally coming to grips with the idea that I'm just never going to have the kind of space I need to make all of this fit in Chicago. 

At the moment I'm walking back on how much ReAction stuff I buy.  Hasbro 3.75" would be the last to go.  I'm still doing OT LEGO, but none of that is out and I have no idea how much will have to stay put away. 

As much as I like the Gentle Giant Mini-Busts, I could see myself walking that back to just OT if I really need to start cutting something out.  There's pretty good money to be pulled out of those things.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2020, 12:20 AM »
Iím about the same too.  Sold off some extra stuff this past year for extra cash.  Strike while the iron was hot on some of it.  I just beat Hasbro to the punch on some of it being rereleased too, so hooray for me.

Iím collecting acid rain but less duplicates unless sales.  Iím into a new competitor line to Acid Rain from a company called JoyToy...  I wanted Titanfall figures and they basically do em in 1/18.  Hiya keeps getting licenses and while Iím not buying every predator figure they do, Iím buying a lot of them and theyíre fantastic.  My 3.75Ē Mando will run into them at some point.

TVC Star Wars is slow and Iím ok with that.

I customized late last year for the first time in a long time and forgot how much fun I used to have doing that. 

Outside that Iím still building 1/20 model kits and integrating those with my other collecting habits, and Iím also excited by what theyíre up to there.

Oh and I have bought the Devil Toys 3.75Ē figures too but theyíre incredibly limited in releases and so Iíd almost forgot those.

Chicken Fried Toys Iím trying to have a pretty complete set of cowboy figures, and plan to support further.  Iím extremely happy for Paul on those.

And Marauder this year made world war 2 figures and theyíre insanely well done.  This has sparked me to look at my 1/18 military figures more, but more than that Iím pondering selling off the extra hardware I hoarded once to customize.  I have a lot and again, strike while the iron is hot maybe.

It all reads like a lot but honestly it isnít...  3.75Ē Star Wars is the bulk there.  Customizing is expanding that more than Hasbro these days.  That barge though, oof.  I shouldnít have picked that up the more I think about it and look at it displayed.  That thing is a hog.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77